Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

John

Lisburn

16th Nov 2011

Does Anyone know when the draws will be made for Irish Cup, Ulster Cup, Challenge Cup?

Anyone know what format the 2020 Cup is taking this year

Simon Corlett

Fireside

16th Nov 2011

Just to add to david's remarks about Ian Gourley, I would like to say that he was the most organised man I've come across. When confusion reigned, he would have all the answers ready. He did a magnificent job running the union, and we should all be grateful. He could be as stern as any, but always fair . I suppose you wouldn't expect anything less from an old fashioned bank manager ! If ever there was a club stalwart, Ian is one and he deserves every accolade coming to him.

skipper

boring work

16th Nov 2011

anybody know the time and place for the junior league fixture meetings?

David Scott

Belfast

15th Nov 2011

Yes Andy an award well deserved by Ian.
The time he has given not only Woodvale but NCU has been extraordinary. The list includes:
Woodvale Council Treasurer 1979-2009
Woodvale Treasurer 1990-1997
Woodvale Vice Chairman 1991-1997
NCU Chairman 1994-1995
Woodvale Chairman 1997-2002
ICU Honorary Treasurer 2000-2006
NCU President 2007-2009
He has also been an ever present on Selection Committees and General Committees at Woodvale for nearly 40 years.
Now that's real dedication and loyalty.

andy kennedy

Buckna

12th Nov 2011

a great night at Woodvale and a pleasure to see Ian Gourley receiving honorary life membership - richly deserved

andy kennedy

Buckna

10th Nov 2011

our local paper is running a series of "old photographs" and featured one of Galgorm who used to play close to where the public carpark at County Hall Ballymena is now. I remember hearing rumours of Walter Crosgrave of Donacloney playing for Galgorm as a "ringer" - but of course that never happened

Davy McD VCC

sunny waringstown

9th Nov 2011

Andy K,
I can remember playing a two night game in Armagh some years ago and on the first night there was a churches league game going on on the wee pitch and the second night was a pubs league game goin on (at least I think thats what they were, but it is probably 20 - 25 years ago), and I am certain that there used to be a pubs league in the Lurgan area (i was asked to play for the Four Trees, but couldnt, then about 5 minutes later got a call from the Planters asking me to play for them, yes, the Four Trees were playing the Planters.
I think there was also a churches league round here 30+ years ago.

clarence Hiles

Sunny Bim

9th Nov 2011

Andy, Alan Burns played a part in that night's escapades! Sadly Miller and Jimmy have passed on and you are right-where have 30 years gone? One of the nice things is meeting up with people you haven't seen for many years and John Craig, Wally and the RUC boys are up there with the best of them.

C.Boomer

The rain's back again !

8th Nov 2011

Interesting reading about all the local cricket that was played throughout the province at 'a time'.

Certainly seems to have been alot more played very locally between villages,towns and work places etc. than what we have now, despite the greater population numbers and easy excess to modern transport.

You'll understand it wasn't all necessarily played before 'my time', but most of it was all before 'my time' playing and getting into cricket...(I was a late starter).

Still facinating reading though, wonder why the interest seemed to wain as the years progessed ?

I know, Sky T.V. football, computors and fast-food must be to blame !

andy kennedy

dreich Buckna

8th Nov 2011

speaking of that night Clarence - I was in the company of Alan Burns last week at a lunch in a very prestigous venue in Belfast city centre - not back for a wee lad from Buckna!) and he was asking after you. The frightening thing is that the Ballymena 6s were about 30 years ago. My memory of the night was Welsey being somewhat irked that no-one was ready to go home and Millar's face about 2 hours later when he discovered that your transport had in fact left. And what about the night a Dunmurry player was given a lift by the late Jimmy Galway as driver & ended up in Banbridge! Great memories of some great nights with George Wilson, John Craig, Bob Magee and Wally Shannon - I wonder how our livers survived!!

Clarence Hiles

Sunny Bim

8th Nov 2011

Come on Andy you were knocking around when the Ballymena and RUC Sixes were in their prime. Did you not double up as a tourist guide when we had trouble getting home one Friday night. Long walk from up there! The late jim Barry blasted you guys for cashing the winner's cheque behind the bar. At least that's all I remember of that night. The Hong Kong Sixes have nothing on Jimmy Boyce's Sun Life Ballymena Sixes.

andy kennedy

killing time in Buckna

7th Nov 2011

Caleb - you heard wrong I don't even know what this form of cricket is! My experience however goes back to the old East Antrim League (I'm starting to sound like an aul' man!!) - the original 20/20. I'm sure there were plenty of other such leagues organised around the country. At Downpatrick's dinner I was told of one such - but thanks to Taito's hospitality the memory of the conversation is a bit vague. Perhaps someone could remind me. Also was there one in the Saintfield where only players who couldn't play on Saturdays could play? Or again maybe I picked it up wrong. Apart from the Mid-Ulster Cup there must have been a lot in the mid-Ulster area. can anyone remember any?

C.Boomer

Home

7th Nov 2011

Andy,

Did I correctly over-hear somewhere you weren't so fussed on the latest form of fast cricket....The Hong-Kong super-sixes?

I'd agree it's a little 'hard on the eye' for the true cricket traditionalist/purist, but don't knock it too much.
If Chinese and even the Japanese get 'potty' about cricket the way they are now about snooker, well who knows what could happen in the next few years?

A Test match in Tokio maybe ?

Keep them at it I say !

andy kennedy

sunny Buckna

6th Nov 2011

Billy - maybe the applicants are checking to see if their graany ever visited Blarney Castle on a cycling tour so they can qualify for an Oirish passport

C.Boomer

Home

6th Nov 2011

That's a good job concerning those three Pakistan cricketers, found guilty and jailed for cheating, accepting bribes and using their most priviledged position to conn the world and his dog into believing they were honest sportsmen!

Hansie Cronya was at it too a good few years back and look at the way he ended up !!

I must confess I once cheated as well, many years ago while swishing away at the crease to every ball I could get near to, I feathered one to the keeper.
He appealed loudly,the bowler half-heartedly did likewise, but I just stood there looking at the ground, Gerald was umpiring and was oblivious of the incident so naturally declined the appeal.

Two or three deliveries later I let a looping half-volley/dolly creep underneath my bat and I was bowled, justice rightly prevailing!

The moral of my story ofcourse is:

1. Crime doesn't pay & 2. When you know you're out......WALK !!