Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

ivan mccombe

office

21st Nov 2011

Clarence, I think Cricket Scotland used their muscle and rescinded what the clubs proposed. I don't think there's as much money floating about NCU cricket for young players as people think. I think the enticements are simply to play at a higher level. I agree with the feeder club mentality and believe it can work both ways.From what I remember you were never a big fan of the "gamesmanship". Big Andy's think tank sits again next week and I'm sure he has a few ideas up his sleeve for us already. I'm not sure where the stats come from about the numbers playing cricket in Ireland but like you I would have thought it's on the decline but would be optomistic it can be reversed if the enthusiasm of Andy's think tank is anything to go by.
By the way the book is terrific but I recall getting a hat trick v Academy in 1983 for Saintfield and it's not credited to me although it does show 3 wickets against my name in the scorecard. I thought it was a cup match as I don't recall them being in our League that season.( I might have even just dreamt it, although I sort of recall a couple of lbws and maybe even a stumping by Norwood ( no that bit's definitely a dream ).It highlighted to me as well just how good a player Fred Ashton was , he featured regularily in the Muckamore run scorers for a lot of years, and John McCormick scoring 91 against Lisburn and Dermot when he was 44 years of age.John tells the story that Monteith went up to him and said " your in the 90's " and the rest is history. Lucky enough I seemed to get some wickets to warrant a mention in the scorecards so I could see which club I was with at different times.
I would recommend it to every cricket fan.

Dan

Work

21st Nov 2011

Clarence :

What do you mean by popularity of cricket is in decline? Cricket Ireland would like us to believe that the numbers playing cricket in the last 5/6 years in Ireland has nearly doubled to 30,000.

Clarence Hiles

Sunny climes

21st Nov 2011

Ivan, like yourself I was interested in the Scottish decision although it appears to have been rescinded and may well cause more division than ever. Our current structure allows young and ambitious players the opportunity to move up the ladder but the enticement for money is what many people dislike. At the end of the day it is the players themselves that make the decisions to move or not. Premier clubs could also develop and assist junior clubs and build a relationship where players can move up and if it doesn't work out then return to their club. Enticement been around for ever and will not disappear. Best versus Best already happens in the NCU and until there is a strong lobby from the PLAYERS to have an Ulster League then it won't happen. Right now that lobby does not exist. I'd like to see a concerted effort made to get more umpires, get Queen's University back into NCU cricket, enhance the promotion of the Senior Cup final, practice zero tolerance for dissent/gamesmanship/sledging and bigger efforts made to bring spectators back to the game. You guys showed it can be done at Moylena. I hope big Andy's Think-tank isn't taking the winter off! They have sparked a lot of change and visionary thinking from their workshops and we need them to continue the good work. The popularity of cricket is in decline so we need to do things to revitalize it.

ivan mccombe

Macca's viewing lounge at the new Moylena sports bar.

19th Nov 2011

Just read the new proposed structure for Senior Cricket in Scotland. Only 32 Senior Clubs. In Northern Ireland with about 1/3 of the population we have 55 or 56 "Senior" clubs.
If we really want to raise standards do we need to bite the bullet on best v best and have a recognised Senior and Junior cricket clubs structure. Is it better to be a top Junior club than a bottom Senior club ?
It also helps distinguish why players are "poached" or are "allegedly poached". It's healthy for players to want to play at the highest level possible. It happens in all sports so we shouldn't make such an issue over it when one of "ours" wants to better themselves and move to Senior cricket.
When you see some of the travel distances even in this new structure in Scotland then Belfast to Derry shouldn't be an issue.
I know we have made some structural changes as we aim to get a best v best in the NCU but maybe it's still a "work in progress" to close the gap between club and interpro and ultimately international cricket. At the moment we are ahead of our Celtic rivals so let's make sure it stays that way.

Ryan

Comber

18th Nov 2011

Wylie,

Yes the finals day at one venue with 2 grounds over 2 days. Weather of course could be an issue but sure where would we be if we allowed for scheduling owing to weather. One venue over 2 days best 6/8 teams would also attract a significant sponsor. Have a reserve Sunday also for a wet weekend.

Matt

Work

18th Nov 2011

Wylie :

My suggestion won't work this coming season as it has been reduced to 8 teams. I personally would leave it as 4 groups of 3 as before. Run the group stages over 3 consecutive Sundays, with each team being at home & playing the other 2 in the group. If it rains, it is a no result & 2pts to each side. Then the top of each group goes to final's day at somewhere like North Down or Inst who have 2 pitches. Final's day would be great on a closed Saturday, but probably easier to do on a closed Sunday. Just my thoughts.

Wylie McKinty

Heading to bed

17th Nov 2011

re Twenty20 set up.
Matt/Ryan - One venue(?) and played on one weekend sounds good on paper until the weekend for the fixtures turns out to be wet and then what do you do?
What about players/supporters/umpires from outside the Premier League who would have normal league fixtures that weekend and can't get to see the games?
At the final in 2011 at Shaw's Bridge there was a good crowd and not all were from the participating clubs.
I'd be interested in other views.

Woodvale CC

Belfast

17th Nov 2011

Following on from the success of last years tournament. Woodvale will once again be running an indoor tournament at Shankill Leisure Center. 
The tournament will be starting in January.

Can North Down regain their crown?

Stay tuned as more details will follow in the next few weeks about timings and rules.

Any initial queries can be sent to Ray Palmer at e-mail address  rpalmer3@btopenworld.com

Ryan Haire

Comber

17th Nov 2011

RE Matt..

Have to agree I think the players / supporters and all involved would like a welcome break from the league etc for a weekend of 20/20 action at the one venue. As a biased individual I must say the best T20 experience / comp was in 2009 at the Green. Those concerned with fixtures will say every Sat is precious but the game is changing and so must unions.

C.Boomer

Weather's miserable !

17th Nov 2011

Andy: Ref. P.O.H's conundrum,

Would it be in order for the umpires before play commences to direct each captain to communicate with eachother and sort that one out for themselves ?
Or if that fails tell them to go and look at the score book, it has to be down on paper whose doing what, before commencement of play !

As Paddy says, it's not in black & white in the rules book, so the onus shouldn't be put on the umpires to carry out the skipper's homework...as it were.

That's my take on it anyway !

Matt

Sending Tiger his dog licence!!

17th Nov 2011

NCU 20/20 competition

Does anyone else not think that the NCU are missing a trick with this? Why have any fixtures in this competition during the week? The group stages could be sorted on a Saturday or Sunday, with the "Home" team being able to market the competition & give the event the support the sponsors deserve?

Dave

Work

17th Nov 2011

Andy,

Would you be happy divulging which club or clubs are doing this?

Obviously these clubs don't have coaches of your ability to produce similiar talent.

Andy McCrea

Templepatrick CC

17th Nov 2011

Oh dear !!!

It appears that other clubs are attempting to poach our talented younger players by getting in touch with them with offers.

mmmmmmm.
Why ?

What's wrong with their own their own structures or players they are producing?

regards
Andy McCrea

andy kennedy

trying to solve PLO'H's teaser

17th Nov 2011

Thanks Wylie but was this info not already available on the NCU site? Some guys-eh?
On a different note - Paddy O'Hara has put a question of the NIACUS site that is worth a look by all those who think they know the Las & rules

Wylie McKinty

Work

16th Nov 2011

Should have said that the Junior League fixture meetings are normally held at the Shaw's Bridge Sports Complex.