Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Anonymous

Co Down

28th Nov 2011

OK last word on the subject. Some are annoyed by anonymity. Some like Andy have a realistic solution. Bottom line is Andy Mccrea was concerned his coached players were being tapped for inducements. Are calls for moves ethically correct if a financial inducement is included? Is it right that ordinary players reap this financial reward? My take is that if you are looking for a local player that is prepared to put time and effort into bringing that club forward then that is a decision that a club and player must take but suggest that it is done openly. It’s up to each person/club’s conscience that a move is a beneficial one for all concerned (moving from and to). I would however look at the NW and say that it is an obviously touchy subject in an amateur sport that needs a formal solution and not a ‘you know nothing’ approach on forums. Maybe one for working groups. No offence to anyone is the intention here

Clarence Hiles

Wet Barbados

28th Nov 2011

Sorry Dazzler.
You fitted in so well I just assumed you were home-bred! However, I must have missed at least six. Sign of old age!

mc cullough

belfast

27th Nov 2011

taito is pretty steady and sensible. these thengs are happening every day,.its just the prowlers want to act like old women again and bitch because of jealousy........as for andy kennedy. get your facts straight before my law gegree is finished.,,I would have have you for slander so easily...do be careful to check out your remarks before printing

C.Boomer

There's a winter's chill in the air !

27th Nov 2011

Read a worrying headline on the ceefax last nite, England's Graham Swann reckons Test matches and T20 are the future for cricket and that he doesn't even enjoy the 50 over one day format of the sport anymore !

Hope he's in the minority with that one!

On the subject of players changing cricket clubs, I once tried a couple of different ones over the course of my career, but didn't last very long with either.

They even paid me a few quid and then told me ..." Please don't come back again Caleb !!

Niall

Now Dublin

27th Nov 2011

Taito did you receive money when you were at CI?
(another pinch of salt required maybe)

Stevo

Home

27th Nov 2011

Re Dazzler

It actually does matter when you're trying to grow roots in an "amateur" club

Too many jumped up "local hero's" who actually think their world beaters (laughable) Maybe the IPL should check out the NCU for talent

Dazzler

bunkered!!

26th Nov 2011

Everybody has a valid point to the debate about players moving clubs (at least the ones who put there proper names to it!!) People will move to other clubs for whatever reason-ambition,money or incentives,"tapped up", re-location of job/country, no longer required at a higher level, misdermeanours!! It really doesnt matter because not everybody will be happy with someone moving from "their club" to another.

As someone who has moved for a few of the above reasons I understand a few of the arguments!!-wasnt kicked out from any club btw!!
Good luck to whoever- may it be a club or person who shows any ambition. Some clubs will win-some will lose, thats sport in this world we live in.

P.S Clarence, By my omission from your list I'm still waiting on a brown envelope from North Down!!!

andy kennedy

buckna

26th Nov 2011

The comments made by Clarence are valid but I respectfully suggest that the 80s were a different era to today's game in Northern Ireland and we are dealing with a different situation. There were more teams & more cricketers were being produced by schools. Presently, to which I alluded in an earlier posting, players are now being "produced" by the clubs through their own coaching schemes and I can see how it "sticks in the craw" to have other clubs with much vaunted youth development programmes having to sneak around behind backs. I firmly believe (and no-one has posted a disagreement) that any approach should be made through the clubs and this would give the opportunity to discuss the merits of the offer rather than a wee lad's head being turned with e.g. the offer of free car insurance or other financial inducement as against his future with his home club. My old granny used to have a saying about "far off fields" but I can't remember the rest of it!

taito

work... again

26th Nov 2011

So what exactly is the point that you are making? Every sport whether amateur or not will have people who move from club to club, for whatever reason. It might be for money it might be for the chance to win more trophies but if thats what they want to do fair play to them. With regards tapping, being from a country club i will say that when i was skipper i certainly contacted several people with regards the possibility of moving to us, i do not see the problem with this especially in the age where plenty of clubs have the money to spend this has to be done to try and continue to compete if the money isnt there. As we arent in the city and not in the premier league, we arent going to get new members very often without a bit of effort to get them.

Anonymous

Co Down

26th Nov 2011

Reggie
Trust me I am not out of my depth here. Although I bow down to your weight of wickets and club loyalty here. Do you not see the point I am trying to discuss here as lovely a guy as Paul is?

andy kennedy

Buckna

25th Nov 2011

Dan - I'm too old, cynical & grumpy to really worry what people, apart from my immediate family, think about me.

Anonymous

Co Down

25th Nov 2011

Thanks Sid. However this is not a personal vendetta against Paul. He was indeed a fine player.
He is just one of many amateurs that were and are today paid. I would understand more if he quoted his coaching involvement and input to the clubs rather than no answer at all.
The North West now is a fest of who can pay most for others PLAYING talent. I fear that's the way NCU will go unless it is managed better.

ivan mccombe

United Kingdom

25th Nov 2011

I consider myself lucky and honoured to have skippered Paul McCrum in his season as a player at Muckamore. From the night Andy Clement and myself meet with him in the Down Royal he was the most professional professional I have known.
Despite living in Armagh at the time he was first to arrive and last to leave practice TWICE a week. ( he missed one evening all season ). He kept himself superbly fit and he offered advice not only to myself but to all the young players in our squad.
He certainly didn't come looking for us but we sought him out as we had a sponsor who was prepared to help us establish ourselves in the top flight for the first time in 24 years.
A top player and a top bloke.

Clarence Hiles

Barbados North Down Supporters Club

25th Nov 2011

Hey guys this is what my mummy calls me!
Two crusty old topics that never age-pen names and poaching. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and in debate we all beg to differ so let's not be personal. I can only speak from my experience at North Down (but not for North Down) and say that, like many clubs, our club has always been divided on 'professionalism' but we took democratic decisions that we felt were in our best interests and moved with the times. Professionalism has been part of the local game since 1887 so there is no argument that it is a modern phenomenon. Our club was split on local pros in the Nineties but a vote was taken and the majority went with this strategy. Later in the Nineties it was reversed and the rest is history. Many players came to Comber because of personal ambition and some for payment. Michael Reith was an inspiration, Raman Lamba was a master, the McCrum brothers were brilliant-totally dedicated and I must add still very popular at The Green. Best value for money? Try Davy Kennedy, Johnny Terrett, Michael Turkington, Ian Cleland, Paul Davidson, Andrew White, Davy Napier, Gavin Rogers, Billy Dale, Lawrence Hunter et al because they didn't cost a cent. They all wanted to play at North Down. That's the ultimate compliment to a well-structured club and I'm sure I could write the same for Waringstown over the years as many of their top players joined the club from other clubs. If your club is doing all the right things some players will join for all the right reasons and there's nothing wrong with that. As for me, I've always been one-club man, but I respect the right of players and clubs to do what they feel is right for them. We did 'poach' Michael Reith in 1980 but we felt it was justified, and after 30 years I think Waringstown have just about forgiven us!

taito

work

25th Nov 2011

Paul, what can i say about these guys, the stats dont lie about your quality over the years, and i am sure everyone of those clubs felt the influence of your time there. I dont get not putting your name on posts on here, if your opinion is worth hearing then have the balls to put your name beside it, otherwise its irrelvant to me.