Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

wayne horwood

Sofa

30th Nov 2011

First post in ages so a few comments on reading quite a bit of tripe over the last while.

Firstly - for people heckling Paul McCrum you probably have not played against him or with him. Awesome competitor throughout his career.

Paid players/inducements - it will always go on in some way, shape or form. Each club has to make its own decisions on how it goes forward. Sustainability is better than short termism and also what are a clubs target? you dont have to be top of the premier league to be a good club. Clubs are about adding value to society, entry points to the game for kids and friendships. Great work by andy mccrea and look at the Academy story over the years. awesome stuff by both clubs and even if kids leave templepatrick for whatever reason they will remember where it started. do ards feel aggrieved their prodigal son andy white went to Comber? doubt it....it all started in Ards (i may be wrong but bear with the thought!). Look at the work that has gone on at woodvale for years. Great club with tremendous work in the community.

Winning per Ivan - yes its nice but not at the expense of the above. Take our own club. great to go up in 2010 and get the experience in 2011 but the loss of a couple of players made 2011 a hard season and had the propensity to be counter productive if it were not for the tight relationships built in a club.

Personally I think all clubs need to understand their role. Cricket ireland is developing well and it needs to increase the number of people getting access to cricket in both communities and not just at the historic grammar schools. that work is ongoing and each club has a vital role here. success is not just measured in trophies!

Nile

Leisure centre

30th Nov 2011

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/cricket/cricket_dunfermline_knights_demoted_in_cash_row_1_1988580

According to this report, a club in this scottish league may have one paid player but may also pay "reasonable expenses" to others.

I suppose then everyone will agree that this is reasonable?

Ricky

North Down

30th Nov 2011

Re - Ed and Michael Shannon

Spot on, at last sense indeed

Taito - Clubs,Inducements,your comments - "Large pinch of salt"

Ivan, sorry mate, utter garbage...!

Michael Shannon

Holywood

30th Nov 2011

Here here to the editors response to Taitos posting ! - that is definitely the best(and most sensible) post on the forum for a long long time !

taito

work

30th Nov 2011

Ivan.... One of the best posts on here for a long long time, here here i say. The game is developing in a different direction. the days of totally amateur cricket in the NCU are over. Surely this can only be for the good of the local game.

Response

No doubt things are changing Taito and becoming more 'professional'.
Seems to me though that in most instances the only professional thing is players walking away with a lot of cash.
It is only a good thing if clubs and teams become more professional in how they operate, in on-field and off-field matters.
For example, there is nothing professional about having paid players if you only get half of your 1stXI at practice, nor is it very professional to have any paid players and have sub-standard pitches (of which only 3 or 4 clubs can be excused) because you don’t pay a groundsman!

ivan mccombe

United Kingdom

30th Nov 2011

Ricky, I don't see the problem that you and others have alluded too. Society demands FAST today, Fast Food, Fast Broadband whatever. So cricket clubs want FAST results. I think every club aspires to producing their own players but remember even that comes at a COST be it in overseas professionals, new nets, bowling machines, booking of indoor nets etc.
We have many qualified coaches and development offers sprinkled throughout Ireland but now being a cricket coach is protrayed as a way of making a living. I have nothing wrong with that but let's then not be hypocritical of those who say ours is no longer a true amateur sport. If you take money out of the sport in return for doing any task to develop that sport then you are no longer "doing it for the love of the game". I have no problem with people getting a financial reward for this work but please don't then tell others how to spend their money.
I know every club has those who would never dream of taking a penny from their club be it for coaching, doing the ground or admin work and without those true amateurs who do it for the love of the club/game or just escapism our sport and indeed the world we live in would be a poorer place.
But I know some of these true amateurs in many clubs including my own who are more than happy to either put their hand in their pocket or work hard at fund raising to get that extra player who will help create a winning team. Nothing develops a club like a winning mentality and mindset. The feel good factor , the press coverage the pride it brings to the town or village is hard to quantify. And as I said we all want these things FAST now.
It always baffles me that the clubs that get the plaudits for having the " best coaches and coaching structures" are playing in the lower leagues. Are they coaching techniques when they should be coaching ambition and a winning mentality.
You can't be be a winner being a whiner.

Ricky

Co. Down

30th Nov 2011

RE-Ivan

Interesting comment, clearly a problem in Scotland too - If we could investigate and implement something similar here, it might just save our game

ivan mccombe

United Kingdom

30th Nov 2011

On the topic of inducements etc I think it's very topical that in Scotland Dunfirmeline CC have been relegated as reported on CricketEurope after admitting making payments to players above the agreed guidlelines laid down by Cricket Scotland. Anyone know how that works ? How is it controlled ?
It probably begs the question how were Dunfirmeline so stupid to get caught?

Roger Bell

Home

29th Nov 2011

Paul,

Ulster Shield Rounds Sundays June 3, 17, July 1, August 5 (final)

Ulster Plate Rounds Sundays June 10, 24, July 8, August 12 (final)

Paul

Lisburn

29th Nov 2011

Roger
Has a provisional date been set for the 1st Round of Ulster Shield and plate completion? With NCU junior leagues fixtures meetings next wk it would be good to know which Sunday these cup completions may be played.

Roger Bell

Home

29th Nov 2011

Daniel,there is no all Ireland competition being introduced for 2nd XI's. The only inter provincial competition for 2nd XI's will again be the Ulster Plate. Draw will be made for this and the Ulster Shield on 14 December

Daniel

Belfast

29th Nov 2011

Is the proposed Irish Junior Cup happening this year for 2nd XIs? If so does anyone know when the draw is being made?

Stuart Hughes

Dundee via Queensway

29th Nov 2011

This discussion has been intriguing but at the end of the day players are going to move clubs for many different reasons. Would I be angry if someone left my club after learning their trade there? Probably yes but not if they where moving on to bigger or better things.

Clubs are also going to approach players who they think will make a positive impact on their club. I personally have no issue with this either. It is hardly much of a crime to ask a player whether he wants to move or not. All he has to do is say no and then that is the argument.

On another note good to see the aghy back in the Irish Cup, albeit with a big road trip ahead.

John Wheeler

Belfast

28th Nov 2011

McCullough

If you are doing a law degree then you should know the difference between slander and libel

andy kennedy

Buckna

28th Nov 2011

I would be interested to learn how I have "slandered" the poster called "McCullough"? I have never heard of you before but I would challenge YOU to identify yourself & enlighten me as to where I have posted any inaccuracies. Maybe you have a wee bit to go before completing YOUR law degree!!