Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Neil Hunter

Belfast

31st Jan 2012

Clarence

I was a hooker...very slim and fast one !!!

In relation to refs you are spoilt for choice from Graeme Crothers, David Napier & Jimmy Irvine

David Scott

Belfast

31st Jan 2012

Thanks Fozzy

Woodvales 125th Anniversary Dinner & Spring Ball, Friday, 23rd March 2012 at the City Hall , Belfast.

clarence hiles

Rugby archives

30th Jan 2012

Great stuff folks on the rugby cricketers and I'm close to publishing a team for comment!
Neil, if you were the hooker you're a bigger cert than your dad or uncle Lawrence! Please confirm.
I thought I was going to have to include Ivan as one of the props but a few latecomers might save him. That faster ball was legendary!
PS
Andy,
Mike was a good senior cricketer for several seasons.

jk

Rossdale

30th Jan 2012

gareth fisher ballymena firsts in both codes. nearly sure david humphries cameoed with an 80??? the day big andy got a goldie first ball of the innings against downpatrick fourths in the cup. 353 for 3 the total if memory serves me.

Phil Doyle

Armagh

30th Jan 2012

Re: Senior Rugby/ Cricket

Quite a few at Armagh who have played both senior rugby and cricket!

Those around my age include Harry Doyle, Matthew Steenson and Andrew Smyth who play for Armagh 1st XV and 1st XI then Stuart Lester who plays for Dungannon!

James Sandford who plays for London Irish now also representated Armagh and won the graham cup with us not so long ago!

Stuart Catterson

Cregagh

30th Jan 2012

Re:Senior Rugby and Cricketers

With Cregagh CC and Malone RFC being located so close toegether there have been many dual senior sportsmen such as: Charlie Corry and Jim Stokes from the 60s and 70s then Colin Wilkinson and Stewart Porter (still playing for Cregagh) in the more modern era. Sorry not many front row men.If you are looking for a ref for the game then you could ask Jimmy Irvine, a Cregagh stalwart.

Michael foster

Home

30th Jan 2012

Re: woodvale 125 dinner.

Scotty - unless there is a prize for anyone who can guess the date of your dinner, I think you left out one useful piece of information in your last post....

Fluter

The Ground

30th Jan 2012

Hiler,

Simon Burrowes and Ricky Adair formed a formidable half back pairing at Holywood for many years - both were good enough to represent Ulster Juniors at rugby and Ulster Town at cricket.

Stephen Dyer

Home

30th Jan 2012

I'm sure I've forgotten some others but Paddy Wallace played for NICC 4X1 winning at least one cup final

stephen dyer

Home

30th Jan 2012

Re Rugby / Cricket
Mike Gibson did play cricket for NICC - few others to consider from now and yesterday - Mike Heaney, James McKinney, Gary Wilson, Andrew McCulla, Paul Marshall (played for NICC in 1999), David Finlay, Charlie Beverland snr, Pau Jackson, Mike Crooks, Neil Doak, Lawrence Norwood - just to name a few - not many in the front row though

Neil Hunter

Belfast

30th Jan 2012

Re Rugby/Cricketers

Here a few more who all played senior cricket and senior rugby

Stephen Warke (Woodvale) played No 8 for North 1sts

Larry Warke (Woodvale) front row for Ulster & Leinster

John Hewitt (Instonians) out half for Instonians & Ireland

Herbie Martin (Lisburn)No 8 for Instonians & Ulster

Ian Warke (Woodvale) Full back for North 1sts & CIYMS 1sts

Garfield Bell (Lurgan) played tight head for Dungannon & Ulster

Lawrence Hunter (North Down) Played centre for Civil Service, Ulster & Ireland

Raymond Hunter (Lisburn & Lurgan) played for CIYMS, Ulster, Ireland & British Lions

Neil Doak (Lisburn) played scrum half for North & Ulster

Also dad came up with the following which the some of the older patrons would be more familiar with!!
Rex Pedlow (Downpatrick), Ronnnie Craig (Wooodvale)Graeme Crothers (Woodvale), Herbie Parkhill (North), Adrian Goodrich (Ballymena),Jimmy McKelvey , Stuart Pollock, George Uprichard (Woodvale) David McKee(Ciyms)

Lastly Alan, Graeme and myself all played for North and Portadown but I was the only one of the Hunters who played in the front row !!

Neil

ivan mccombe

United Kingdom

30th Jan 2012

Andy

I played against Mike Gibson at Ormeau.What always sticks in my mind was that he wore a white helmet while facing me. Now I know I told everyone I could bowl a quicker arm ball but this to me was comical. A guy who had faced some of the most fearsome rugby players on Lions tours wearing a helmet while batting. Ian Humphreys opened the bowling for Ballymena and he was almost as quick as Adrian McCoubrey. He would have been a handful for anyone I think.

Russeller

Comber

30th Jan 2012

Ian Humphries played for Ballymena from memory?? He certainly played against us at underage level, he was a nippy fast bowler. Talented boy.

andy kennedy

Buckna

30th Jan 2012

Ivan - since you mention the 'Hinch - what about Budgie? Can any of the former NICC guys confirm if Mike Gibson played cricket?

taito

work

30th Jan 2012

rugby/cricket: Aaron ferris currently plays for us and plays for ballynahinch, and has won all ireland cup with them.