Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

CI Man

Belfast

23rd Jan 2012

Re: P Edwards

And we at Belmont thank god that you have nothing to do with us......

Good luck to all in what promises to be a competitive Premier League with less one sided matches

Roll on April

C.Boomer

Aussies going for 4 nil @11.55hrs G.M.T.

23rd Jan 2012

Sport seems to be on the crest of a wave within these shores at present and for a small country we're certainly punching well above our weight again !

Yes ofcourse, we've had our past world super-stars/teams from previous years, but let's examine the current vintage.

Cricket: Ireland top ranked Associate nation despite no test cricket available,(I blame our miserable weather for that), with England (annoyingly), head-hunting and taking our best players and still return looking for more ! We must be doing something right!!

Rugby: The national side is always up there with the best on the world stage. Ulster club rugby going really well presently, just qualified for the Heinekin cup despite Saturdays blip against Clarmount.

Golf: Not one or two, but three world top ranked superstars at this sport and with Portrush hosting the next world championship, it doesn't get much better than that.

Snooker/Motorcycling/Darts: As of before, we continually produce top quality world beaters at all three sports.

Hockey/Athletics/Boxing: Once again, we've produced world class famous preformers at these sports and todays current crop are no exception, doing us proud at club and International levels the world over.

Football: Dear goodness me ! Good luck to Michael O'Neill the newly confirmed N.Ireland manager....he'll need every ounce of it!
And Glenavon for the drop. (No shocks there)!!

Phil Jones

Belmont

23rd Jan 2012

Re - P Edwards.

The irony isn't lost on me that you can't be bothered talking about CI, but then you do!! No-one's asking you to talk about us.

I can assure you we have money left for the "premier" league polish!

You must live a "bordam" life P Edwards.

P Edwards

WTesco

23rd Jan 2012

RE - Roy Young
Agreed, but Really can't be bothered dredging up the "utter bordam" I now feel every time CI are mentioned...

I just hope they have the money for a tin of Silvo when they finally WIN
The premmier league..

Good luck to all at Belmont - I thank God I've nothing to do with you...

Doctor looking for job

Ulster Hospital

23rd Jan 2012

Stop Press. North Down 1sts have appointed a team manager whats next team doctor and physio.

Response

Applications in writing to The Proprietor, Premier Sports, Comber...

john craig

Belfast

23rd Jan 2012

He's not the only big name to decide to stay put!!

roy young

ards

21st Jan 2012

Re andy kennedy
I hear theres a plague of loyalty working through the ncu with n.jones turning down a "monster" move to CI

andy kennedy

drech Buckna

21st Jan 2012

"boring" enough for you to respond Jim!! So to change the subject - it has gone all quiet on the "transfer" market. Is anything happening with guys being tapped etc.? There must be some rumours out there.

Jim

Bangor

20th Jan 2012

re Andy Kennedy

Andy, Englands recent performance may well have been "pathetic" but like it or not, they are the best Test team in the world on merit.

Your repeated bashing of England is now quite boring.

Response

No further 'pro' or 'anti' England posts please, we've been here before!

C.Boomer

Passing tme........no cricket on !

20th Jan 2012

I think it's a good job that big Boyd Rankin has put himself under the radar of the English test selectors.

Besides the fact England could be doing with him and there ain't no chance of him playing 5 day cricket for Ireland.

What a pace attack England would have (height wise anyway), Boyd at nearly 7ft. tall, Tremlett 6ft.8", Finn 6ft.7", Broad 6ft.6" & 'wee' Jimmy Anderson at only 6ft. 1" or so!

Would be great to see it !!

C.Boomer

Staying in......tonight !

19th Jan 2012

Yes Andy, it was a poor effort from England, I doubt they could be doing with a 'Brian Close' like player in their ranks, but you don't get to many of his type these days for your �'s worth!

By the way, if we get to Umpire a match together this year, I owe you at least a pint or two afterwards.....Don't believe you even got a cup of tea when you came down from Buckna land a couple of seasons ago and umpired that friendly match for us.

(There'll be room for us in Normans alright)!!

andy kennedy

sunny Buckna

19th Jan 2012

I never knew that you would get enough people into that bar in Moira but there you go. You will be watching highlights tonight of champagne cricket from the number 1 side in World Cricket out in Abby-Dabby - not! Pathetic doesn't describe it.

C.Boomer

'As the English rose wilts feebly away' !

19th Jan 2012

A row nearly broke out last nite in Normans' Bar (Pretty Marys) in Moira!

I called in to watch the highlights of the 2nd days play of the Test match out in Abby-Dabby on the big screen, but found the 'footballers' in situ with their pints in hand waiting for a soccer match to come on and the motor-cycle club were also having their monthly meeting and wanted the screen switched off.

As no compromise could be reached, I wagered for a round of drinks, of the three sports...Cricket was the more dangerous! And therefore I should be allowed to watch it.

The football men howled with laughter and the motorcycle chaps nearly fell off their seats and both willingly excepted my proposition.

I had observed the barmaid clicking away on her laptop inbetween serving customers, I called on her to bring it down along with the said round and I typed in You-tube...Michael Holding v Brain Close, were upon everyone crowded around to watch!

Suffice to say after viewing the clip, the motorcyclists were so impressed they decided to move into the snug and have their meeting, the soccer men were for once 'gob smacked' and duely departed in a huff, to watch their game across the road in the Four-Trees bar.

But not before I made sure they'd paid for that round of drinks !!

clarence Hiles

On the Glenshane Pass

16th Jan 2012

PS
Sorry-On a point of information Andy McFarlane played post-war and was the star of the 1947 NCU Cup Final win by Sion Mills. Donald Shearer played for NICC post-war and not North-West. Both, like Flood, also starred between the wars. All three are missing but in my humble opinion would be in my top 20 post-war NI players.

clarence Hiles

The Archives not the Maldives

16th Jan 2012

Thanks Roger, I should add that I wasn't watching cricket in the 1950s but feel they should not be ignored. For your information post-war North-West cricket included John Flood and Andy McFarlane who would get into most all-time NW selections and of course Aubrey Finlay. Players like Sammy Jeffrey, Alex McBrine and John Cochrane were local legends. Irish recognition is irrelevant because the North-West was largely ignored by NCU and ICU for many years. But to leave out Flood and McFarlane is strange.
However, fantasy teams are personal opinion and quite often the selectors pick who they LIKE. Over and out on this topic.