Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

billy adams

home

10th Jan 2012

sorry to hear of the passing of ivan reid he would never pass you by without stopping for chat thoughts are with ivans family at this sad time.

Neil Gill

Moylena

10th Jan 2012

Briilliant Ryan cheers.

Very sad to hear of the passing of Ivan, was a true gentleman on and off the cricket pitch. Sincere condolences to the Reid family from all at Muckamore CC.

andy kennedy

Buckna

10th Jan 2012

Taito - thanks for the clarification

Ryan

Comber

10th Jan 2012

Woodvale Indoor Cricket 6s Shankill Leisure Centre
15th Jan 1pm in partnership with Boom Boom

The Indoor Sixes competition is back with hosts Woodvale / Inst/ North Down/ Nomads/ Saintfield / Muckamore set to take part over 5 Sundays Jan 15/29
Feb 12/19/26 with more action for juniors on 4th March.
In its secod year the tournament supported by Belfast City Council and Boom Boom hosts matches at 2/3/4pm each week.
Teams are asked to be present this Sunday at 1pm at Shankill LC.

WAR

Demense, Saintfield

10th Jan 2012

Re Ivan Reid
A real character and true gentleman.
Ivan was always available to discuss,argue with and even agree with on occassions on matters associated to the game of cricket [particularly wicket preparation].
Many a lengthy yarn I have had with him down at the Demense [winter and summer] on the less important worldy issues like the economy,Europe,local and international politics,business management,conflict resolution etc etc.

Ivan,you will be missed at Saintfield Cricket Club.

My Sincere Sympathy to his wife and family.

Clarence Hiles

HQ

10th Jan 2012

IVAN REID
It was sad to learn of the passing of Ivan Reid, a doyen groundsman and former umpire. Ivan was one of the most genuine characters in local cricket and loved to talk about the game and its many facets. In his heyday he was rated the best groundsman around and the fine pitches he produced at the Meadow vindicated his lofty status and helped make Downpatrick an international venue. He was also a willing consultant at other grounds and many clubs owed Ivan a lot for getting their grounds shipshape. For some years he was also a friendly and popular umpire and loved nothing better than the fun and camaraderie of a cricket game. Above all, he was a lovely man.
Rest in Peace.
Clarence Hiles
Editor

JONATHAN LYTTLE

Scorebox

10th Jan 2012

The Officers and Members of NIACUS wish to express their most sincere sympathy to family and friends of the late Ivan Reid who has sadly passed away. Ivan was a respected member of NIACUS for many years and stood in at least one international fixture during his umpiring days. He will be sadly missed by many and our thoughts and prayers are with his family and Downpatrick Cricket Club at this time.

taito

belfast

10th Jan 2012

RIP Ivan Reid, true gentleman and loved a story, some absolute crackers i have heard over the years. He will be missed by all at downpatrick cricket club and further afield.

Andy, i think you are confusing ivan with ivan reid the umpire from donaghadee. Different guys

andy kennedy

Buckna

10th Jan 2012

I am shocked to learn of Ivan's death. As I posted earlier, I met him on the Friday before Christmas and we talked about how he was progressing. Not only groundsman & umpire but a fine bowler for the 'Dee. My sincere sympathy goes to his family.

Ryan Haire

Comber

10th Jan 2012

Hi Neil,

You should have received an email by now from Ray Palmer (Woodvale). Starts this Sun. Call me if you need info.

Jeff Maguire

Dundrum

10th Jan 2012

Sad news on the death yesterday of Ivan Reid Downpatrick groundsman and ex umpire and more importantly a gentleman who always had time for chat or offer friendly advice . The funeral is at Bright Parish Church 2pm wednesday . RIP Ivan

Neil Gill

Moylena

9th Jan 2012

Indoor 6's

Anyone tell me if the 6's are definitely starting this Sunday? Havent seen or heard anything about the tournament.

Cheers

andy kennedy

sunny Buckna

9th Jan 2012

and there was me believing what I read!!

Ryan Haire

Comber

9th Jan 2012

Andy K
Re Kevin OB he was well applauded by the English side! Have the game still on Sky+ and often put in on...still a great feeling watching it.....

andy kennedy

Buckna

9th Jan 2012

pages 69 - 70 "Whitey told me afterwards that no-one on the opposition team had clapped the hundred. I don't know why"- unquote.