Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

jeff maguire

no snow here yet

14th Dec 2011

John ill take copy for club dundrum then players can get look after in pavillion, can you keep it or illl get down Comber if Peter has any in shop?
Andy Mcrea congratulations as he is without doubt one the nicest hard working people ive ever met on and of the pitch and Templepatrick have some the best coached talent in the ncu so fair dues Andy and all at his fine club Templepatrick

John Hiles

Newtownards

13th Dec 2011

NCU Senior Cup Book
Just a quick reminder if anyone is looking for a cricket book Christmas present then email me at hiler@btinternet.com as we are running out of time.
Great value at 20 quid! Remember this is a limited edition and values will go up.

Ryan Haire

Comber

13th Dec 2011

RE Andy McCrea
Here here Clarence...Andy has been working away from many years as is now gaining the recognition he deserves for his part in developing cricketers from all club backgrounds!

Clarence Hiles

HQ

13th Dec 2011

Russeller,
Paddy doesn't make mistakes!
In Bajan slang "'nuff said!"
(Ref his 9 December posting).

Russeller

Comber

12th Dec 2011

Hiler,

I wonder if Paddy is referring to Keith Smith?? I definitely have never heard of a Richard Smith on the umpiring scene!

Finally, a massive congratulations to Andy McCrea on his recent accolade. Well done.

Russeller

Clarence Hiles

HQ

12th Dec 2011

Russeller,
Re: Richard Smith
I hope Barry doesn't lynch me for pinching a quote from Umpiring Guru Paddy O'Hara's recent email...
"Richard Smith lived and worked in Europe for a number of years, where he made his reputation as an umpire. He is now back living in Northern Ireland and a member of NIACUS".

Clarence Hiles

HQ

12th Dec 2011

Andy McCrea
I think we should all congratulate Andy on this wonderful achievement. It is great to see club stalwarts get the recognition they deserve irrespective of who their club is.
Another boost for Templepatrick on their continuing rise to the top of local cricket. Well done.

C.Boomer

Home

12th Dec 2011

I too would like to say congratulations to Andy McCrea on winning the prestigious ECB coach of the year award.

Amongst much of the good work both himself and his colleagues do, I happened to be at an 11yr and under N.C.U tournament up at the marvalous setting of his home club (T.C.C.) last August, with my own young fella and it was a great success, plenty of talent on view and most importantly, thoroughly enjoyed by all who participated.

And prior to that at the beginning of last season, again I had a go at an ICC introduction to cricket course he organised and coached, what impressed me most was that amongst the large attendance present were a couple of lady school-teachers, very keen to learn and pick-up ideas about cricket to take back to their classrooms and pupils.

Great innovative and pro-active work indeed, just a pity his fello Co.Antrim man Mark Allen couldn't emmulate Andy and win snookers U.K. open competition last night, but he made a great fist of it anyway.........Plenty of talent in this 'wee' country, and men like Andy can find it and channel it in the right direction....Well done again.

andy kennedy

icy Buckna

12th Dec 2011

maybe you're right Dan - I suppose I'm getting too old. Of course you could be attending the Umpires Course so that you can replace me. Keep your eye on the site as i'm sure Keith Smyth will be posting the dates in due course.

Peter Shepherd

Templepatrick Cricket Club

11th Dec 2011

Andy McCrea - ECB Coach of the Year.
On behalf of everyone associated with Templepatrick Cricket club I would like to congratulate Andy McCrea on last night being named the ECB Coach of the Year. This is a fantastic award for Andy and completely deserved.

ivan mccombe

United Kingdom

11th Dec 2011

Simon. re decisions in Junior cricket.
I fully agree with the sentiments and have always sent my teams out to play hard but fair.
However I think it's important that players realise just because it hits the pads it doesn't mean it's out. If a guy is running a quick single and there's a direct hit it doesn't always mean the batsman didn't make his ground.
I don't think in the last 10 years and probably having played maybe 150 games below Senior level in that time that there was ever a game that the umpiring decisions would have put me off playing or do I know of a player who has even mentioned this to me as a reason for quitting.
What is more off putting is the attitude of the fielding team when you turn down a run out or an lbw. In the last match I played for Muckamore 3rds at Ballymena against guys I thought were friends I got into a real barny with one of their players who called me a cheat after turning down a run out (he was fielding at mid on and I was standing at square leg)and another one asking out loud of the wicketkeeper " how far out was he ?".
On that day (a) in my opinion the batsman was well in and (b) I couldn't get a proper view as the keeper had his back to me.
At no time in my decision making process that day or any other day have I thought that I can't give him out he's "one of ours".
If you play this game long enough you learn to take the rough with the smooth. Umpiring is part of the game at 3rds and 4ths level but players maybe should all attend at least a one night umpiring course to help them understand the laws of the game.
It's the same with leg side wides. I am very strict on those with young players and I think it's very unfair NOT TO BE. We all hope these guys will move up to play at a higher level but it's up to us to prepare them properly for that step up. It's also very unfair on the batsman who might only have 30 overs if a bowler is "allowed" to bowl a couple of balls an over he can't reach.In the league our 3rds play in next season there are six 2nd XI's. Is it fair on a young bowler getting away with it in the 2nds and then moving up and getting called by the official umpires simply beacuse he got away with it last week.
If we show respect for the game we will all be ok. Even the Test umpires get it wrong at times. I have been at the non striker's end when one of my teammates has given the guy at the other end out lbw when you know it wouldn't have hit another set or he was hit away out side the line. So bite your tongue and get on with it.
I don't believe cheating is rife in NCU Junior cricket.I suppose if every club had a panel of half a dozen umpires ( even they only did a beginners course) who would do Junior Games on a rota basis ( maybe 4 a year each) that would help. So if you love the game and for some reason don't want to play any more give something back in another way. Walking around the ground at a 1sts game criticising those that are playing "isn't actually putting anything back in to the sport".

Russeller

Comber

11th Dec 2011

Just read the Umpire Article on the site---enjoyable read and i agree with the sentiments.

Just one question---who is Richard Smith?? I've never encountered that name in many a year playing Prem League Cricket?

Ken Sims

United Kingdom

10th Dec 2011

Clarence
Excellent article on the Irish National Cup. As you say it is a great opportunity for players to experience new locations and develop new relationships.
I've always enjoyed traveling to play games in Dublin and the North-West, and I know that when Holywood travel to Kilcock this summer, I'll be volunteering to either play or "do the book".

I hope that everyone involved will embrace the competition as an important means of helping to spread the game throughout Ireland.

And a good opportunity for a bit of "elbow exercise" afterwards as well!!!

simon

Belfast

10th Dec 2011

Having played junior cricket for years and experienced "cheating" from "own" team umpires i can understand the frustration of blatant poor decisions. In my opinion this enviroment can put off former first eleven players from playing down their respective clubs. especially if they have been used to neutral umpires.

Captains should tell their players to be honest. Give fair decisions in the spirit of the game and walk if you "nick" one.
This should be communicated to the opposing captain at the toss so that both teams understand that the match will be played in the manor it is supposed to.

Dan

WORK (IN CAPITALS FOR ANDY TO READ!!)

9th Dec 2011

Andy, maybe the men in white coats should come and take you away!!