Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

ivan mccombe

Bootcamp

30th Jan 2012

Rugby/Cricket

Andy Gleghorne captained Ballyclare High School to their only Schools Cup win in 1974 v RBAI. He went on to play for Ballyclare and but for a back injury would have played Senior Rugby. Nigel Simpson who played full back for Malone for years also played Senior Cricket for Muckamore. Dessie Kane played rugby for Ulster Juniors. The 3 Napiers played at Ballynahinch as did Colin Magowan.

Billy

Lisburn

30th Jan 2012

Two current Ulster players played/play for Lisburn CC, Mike McComish and Ian Whitten

Clarence Hiles

Ravenhill archives

30th Jan 2012

Thanks Andy. Sid and Colin are now in the frame and Stanley was already there. Have added Willie to the subs and as for Paddy I'm not so sure he'll make the squad on his rugby pedigree! A couple more front row men and we'll have a team, and a good one with a few British Lions on board!

David Scott

Belfast

30th Jan 2012

Woodvale Cricket Club 125th Anniversary dinner/reception at the City Hall

Reception 7:00 to 7:30pm - followed by dinner, guest speakers and ending with celebratory dance.
Dresscode: Formal i.e. black tie & dress suit.
Ticket Price: £35 per person.
The Woodvale Dinner Sub-Committee is pleased with the initial response and can now offer places to other interested parties who would like to attend this unique event in the Club's history.

Should you wish to attend, please contact Cecil Robinson as soon as possible to confirm attendance, with any guests you might wish to bring. Cecil's contact details are as follows:
Address: 23 Westway Drive, Belfast BT13 3NQ - Tele. No: 07731740244

andy kennedy

Buckna

30th Jan 2012

Sidney Millar always insists he played cricket at Ballymena for the 2nds when there were only 2 teams! Colin McVicker was a dual player at Ballymena and is mentioned in Billy Platt's book along with Philip Carson. Alex & Adrian Goodrich also come to mind. To be honest I think you have a serious problem in this project as, and I quote the late Tom Greenwood, cricket is a game for intellectuals and consequently few rugby players can make the transition! Of course you will have the likes of Stanley Hewitt and Willie Oakes in your sights but what about PLO'Hara who played, to my certain knowledge, rugby at Larne and played a bit of cricket - as we always hear about!!

clarence Hiles

HQ

30th Jan 2012

Cricket Rugby XV
I'm trying to collate a best NCU cricket rugby XV but struggling with a front row! Have there been any good cricketers who played a good standard of rugby and might qualify? Not a bad team so far but if they can't get the ball from the scrum this fantasy team won't set the rugby world on fire!

Clarence Hiles

HQ

30th Jan 2012

I would like to join with other correspondents in passing on condolences to the Morrow family on the sad passing of Roy Morrow. He was a warm friendly umpire who enjoyed sport and the camaraderie of being in the company of fellow sporting enthusiasts.
Rest in Peace

Clarence Hiles
Editor

C.Boomer

I'm saying nothing more about the English rose !

29th Jan 2012

Ref: Peter Shepherd

Peter, if you're the same chap from Templepatrick C.C. the man to see is your very own Arthur Bowron.

That very photo hangs in my father's study, it was taken 10yrs before he was born so he couldn't tell me much detail about it, other than his father (my grandad) Orr Boomer is also in the picture along with the Thompsons, who were related to him through marriage.

I like yourself enquired a few years ago about it's origin here on the forum and shortly afterwards Arthur kindly phoned me up, with relevant memories about that particular Cup competition and details of most of the folks in the picture.

Hope this helps you out on your quest.

Ken Sims

Holywood

29th Jan 2012

re post by Peter Shepherd

Peter
If it relates to the Hydepark near Mallusk then some of the more senior members of Academy or maybe BRA school may be able to help you. Good luck.

Ken Sims

Holywood

28th Jan 2012

Very sorry to hear the sad news of Roy Morrow.

Condolences to Davy and the family.

Peter Shepherd

Doagh

28th Jan 2012

Gents looking a bit of information. Clearing out the roofspace and came across an old team photograph of the Hydepark auxillary CC 1930 Mcmullan cup winning side ? My Grandfather was a member of this team and just wondering if any forumites would have info on the teamand or cup.

jareth

work

27th Jan 2012

the only bad news i have heard in section one for downpatrick is that paul tate is planning to play another season

andy kennedy

sunny Buckna

27th Jan 2012

I am interested to see a posting on the North Down site about the improvements to the old Nissan hut. I can recall the "top end" being used to provide "refreshments" on big days at The Green and some enjoyable afternoons in the company of a lot of guys, some sadly no longer with us. But as Flossie keeps pointing out I am getting too old. Certainly feel it after a long lunch in the company of Messrs. McBride, Neilly and other boyhood idols on Wednesday. And Woodvale bringing Chopper Harris to Ballygomartin Road. That aul' nostalgia ain't what it used to be!!

C.Boomer

Pakistan trail by 25....as we speak !

27th Jan 2012

Apologies folks, just re-read my last post.....Poor grammer & spelling !

I know Abby Dabby is spelt wrongly but you get my 'just' and ofcourse for the word 'there' substitute they're.

(Abbreviation of 'they are') Now back to the cricket !

C.Boomer

'As the English rose replenishes itself ' !

27th Jan 2012

That's a great battle hotting up out there in Abby-Dabby between Pakistan & England and thankfully I'm off today and able to lie up and watch it 'live'.

But as there on the lunch break, here's a wee thought provoking quote I came across from the back page of my monthly Association of cricket Officials newsletter, worthy praise indeed,if you're into your cricket, coming from this very eminent and still much revered gentleman. Allow me to replicate !

"I have often thought how much better a life I would have had, what a better man I would have been, how much healthier an existence I would have led, if I had been a cricketer instead of an actor".

(Sir Laurence Olivier)