Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Andy Owen

Down

7th Feb 2012

Was thinking after my last post, which is probably not a good thing, but if CI do pay for arguements sake 5 players, there is at least 5 players on other teams that people reckon they might receive some sort of payment due to their international status, previously a pro or playing elsewhere for money?

Looking at a few of last years teams, would everyone think these players totally play for free?

Inst : McCann, Shannon, White, Morrow & Moleon
B'mena : Lazars, DK, Aphale, Kirkpatrick & JK
North Down : Russell, Sutherland, Haire, Khan & Moran
Lisburn : Ervine, Tilly, Rankin, Van der Merwe & Simpson

It is interesting when you breaksown a lot of the teams, even in Section One!

RB

Pub

7th Feb 2012

RE CI
Billy, you've missed Connell + Hanna in you list of paid (allegedly) CI players, I doubt if £50k will cover all 8 of these!

Dk

Bangor

7th Feb 2012

Re
Andy Owen
I agree and thoroughly enjoyed playing against McMillan, Pienaar, Jones and Barnett etc over the last few seasons. These guys have brought so much to our wee country and I think the ambition some clubs are showing should be commended.

Kyle Mitchell

Antrim

7th Feb 2012

RE Billy

You forgot about Peter Connell too who will be back at Belmont this year. Add him to your list.

Andy Owen

Down

7th Feb 2012

With regards CI, I heard they are bringing Craig McMillan back, if they go the pro route.

I am a follower of another NCU Premier League club, and wish they had the forward thinking, drive, ambition that a CI have, as then we could recruit better players, coaches, as well as improve our facilities.

I would rather play with this type of player than against them, but would love to play against them too and test my abilities.

Those who took McMillan or Pienaar's wicket in the last few years have rather large feathers in their caps!

Davy

Belfast

7th Feb 2012

Billy, it's all very boring this CI bashing. This is taking us away from the topic of Victoria's plight which is a more concerning topic. With all your NCU knowledge maybe you could offer them some help?

CI have announced the signatures of Bray, Butterworth and Khan (3 players, recognised coaches, not half a team) and secondly as a member I know a little bit more about the goings than you do.
'Pakistani pro' must be some player if he is taking us to 50K, is it Younis Khan?

C.Boomer

In training !

7th Feb 2012

Billy....I put in for one of the CI jobs as well a couple of months ago, £20 a week was all I wanted to cover fuel expenses!

Alas I wasn't shortlisted, something to do with a 36" waist and no track-suits available to fit me......but there you go !

JP

Newtownards

7th Feb 2012

I have heard that CI have signed Faisal Iqbals brother who is more than a handy bat.

Billy

Lisburn

7th Feb 2012

CI Man I fear it is you that needs to ask the questions at Belmont regarding wages, although I don't have as many contacts as I used to my knowledge of the NCU is pretty good and accurate. As far as finance (wages plus expenses) is concerned, I can assure you that Khan + Bray + Butterworth + Pakistani pro + Dougherty + Cooper costs over 50k...
Paul, I'm not 'slagging' CI, merely questioning their logic.

CI Man

Belmont

7th Feb 2012

Re Billy,

Don't believe everything you hear!!
Please tell me who are 'over half the side on professional terms' as I doubt 6 players are being paid? As for the 50K, I don't think you are living in the real world.

Paul

Lurgan

7th Feb 2012

Re:Billy

I am a player for another premier league club and I say good luck to CI in what they are trying to achieve. I believe the time to slag them is in 3-5 yrs if they are still recruiting a team because it would be fair to say their youth development hasn't worked. From what I hear they have well over 150 kids on their books which surely is to be commended.

As for your 50k valuation I would say this is well off the mark. There is not one team in the premier league bar maybe Ballymena who don't have wage/coaching bills of under £20k.

I think the introduction of all these players like bray can only help make the Premier League a better league. Good luck to all teams including CI!

Billy

Lisburn

7th Feb 2012

Dougherty to CIYMS done deal apparently...
Thats more than half the team on professional terms, is this for real?!
I honestly believe that it is their money so they can do with it as they please but if anyone can come on here and justify 50k+ being spent on assembling a team for local cricket then I would love to hear them.

CI Man

Belmont

7th Feb 2012

Re Gary.

Taimur's role is youth development officer, Bray is Irish 19's mens head coach and A side mens coach at cricket ireland. The new pro will help continue our youth development. With over 50 at our youth nets in January I think we should be able to say that 'Ci's youth development programme' is structured nicely.
Thanks for your concern, now jog on.

Chris

Work

7th Feb 2012

Re VCC

Can I just ask a few questions about the VCC problem?

I dont think it is reasonable for a 650% increase in anything but what exactly do you get for £2200 under the new proposal, and how much was it costing before? i.e how much will it now be costing you per game/training session compared to what it was before hand?

Presumably these are things you could use in your argument with the council to prove that they're going to force you out of Lurgan Park

JONATHAN LYTTLE

NIACUS

7th Feb 2012

NIACUS Monthly Meeting on Monday 13th February 2012 at 7.30pm at Stormont.

Members and non members welcome to attend.