Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Andy Owen

Comber

8th Feb 2012

Michael,

Thank you for that clarification, but as I said to Russeller, there is a perception that certain players do get paid, even if this is not true.

Michael Taylor

Cambridge

8th Feb 2012

Re Andy Owen,

Ballymena CC does not pay James Kennedy, David Kennedy, Andy Kirkpatrick, or Steve Lazars. With the exception of one year when Steve was our professional (2009), we never have done either.

Andy Owen

Comber

8th Feb 2012

Russeller,

My comments are based on a perception that many people have of certain local players in the Premier League, as well as Section One & Two.. I am not saying they are correct, but many people think this way.

Take yourself as an example, many people believe you where paid to play for Glendermott, if that is true then people think you are still paid to some degree.

Hats off to North Down for investing in their facilities, but your website mentions that this is only possible due to an interest free loan from an anonymous donor. Loans are very different to sponsorship...you have to repay them for one!

Hopefully my facts are a little bit straighter than last time.

Russeller

Home Of Cricket.

8th Feb 2012

Re Andy Owen (Not familiar with your name, strangely enough!!!)

I have never, nor will ever receive one penny from my club for playing cricket. Nor does Sutherland. Fact.

NDCC is investing nearly 60k on new facilities/further upgrades this winter. What a real club does. This has been achieved by superb endeavour from our Chairman, right down the line to our Exec Committee and members, who have attained some superb sponsorship deals, not an easy thing to do in this current climate, which has allowed us to re-invest in facilities that will allow all our already thriving and succesful Youth section to continue to thrive, under the Expert eyes of our CDO, Ryan Haire.

So, in short, get your facts straight before you post a loss of rubbish.

M. Parks (VCC)

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/victoriacc

8th Feb 2012

Re: Down Council

We have no doubt that we have been receiving good value for money in the past.

However, the price paid for a service, must reflect the service received. As we carry out a lot of tasks at the cricket facilities (opening up, cleaning the pavillion etc) we do not beleive that the proposed price does.

Regardless of your opinions on the value for money, a 575% increase would not be accepted in any line of business, especially when no costings have been provided.

True CI Man

Belmont

8th Feb 2012

RE - Stuart Hughes

At last a sensible well thought out post and with his real name.

Information

Down District Council Area

7th Feb 2012

Re Victoria Cricket Club

Hire of ground for a MATCH in Down District Area was approximately £85 in 2011 and has been around this figure for many years...............this equates to a figure of £1700 + VAT to cater for ALL home matches for 2nd & 3rdXI in the season. As this seems to be around the charges now being considered in Craigavon Council I think you have been getting away very cheaply over recent years.

Consider your charges in recent years and decide if they would have come anywhere near the provision and maintenance costs of the ground.

Consider the total cost of your team playing a round of golf at the local council course and decide if you have been getting value for money in previous years.

Its near time players started to realise what it costs in providing/maintaining sports facilities and stop living in the past.

Simon

Work

7th Feb 2012

Re - CI Man

I have asked this question before, but unfortunately for some reason it was veto'd

Please define yourself - as I a confused as to what exactly a "CI Man" is...?

Stuart Hughes

Dundee via Queensway

7th Feb 2012

This forum does tend to go round in circles. Yes CI have money and yes they spend it. I do agree that the best time to judge whether it is a success is in a few years. If it helps them to achieve a vibrant and working youth section. That after all is the only thing that can provide long term stability.

When people spend money other people are going to be jealous that's life.

Davy

Belfast

7th Feb 2012

Re Billy

Yes Billy, I am very close to the pulse, you're not considering your outrageous facts. Interesting list of other team's paid pros, glad to see all these teams are trying to better themselves as well. Should make for great cricket in 2012.

Brendan

Glengormley

7th Feb 2012

Not impressed with the accuracy of the information on "professionals" as a lot of this is hot air. Andy and Michael Owen you are stirring the pot but since you ask the question I suspect many of the players you list are not paid. If anything CI appear more open about professionalism than anyone yet they get barracked by the nameless and shameless.

andy kennedy

buckna

7th Feb 2012

interesting to see both ends of the spectrum here with the annual slagging off of CI and the Victoria "issue". With all the signings at Belmont there must be a £ or 2 about! Also the earlier posting re how much Victoria were paying - do the maths. £2200 represents a 675% increase therefore -----

Greg

Down

7th Feb 2012

Well done to CI on making the PREMIER league a more competitive and quality league! Can't see what is achieved through CI bashing? Big men hiding behind a computer screen and slagging a cricket club. 50 kids at junior nets during the winter surely speaks for itself.

I personally look forward to my club competing against them this year

Billy

Lisburn

7th Feb 2012

Davy, I stress again I am not CI bashing merely asking a question and relation to your second point perhaps it is CI who should be helping Victoria since they have obviuosly lots of money (merely stating fact not bashing). I honestly think you either are not that close to the pulse at Belmont or have your head burried in the sand if you can't see the financial implications of the new signings!
Andy agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments regarding clubs drive and ambition etc, but your list of potentially paid players later on is I would say only half right.

Michael Owen

Down

7th Feb 2012

Re Andy Owen

Good point well made but you forgot about:-

Carrick - gilder bloom, eagy, holmes, pro, Stirling
Waringstown - Kyle, obus, Nelson, Hall, Kidd