Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

andy kennedy

baltic but dry in Buckna

28th Dec 2012

c'mon guys - Christmas is over and a New Year beckons - everybody is being very coy and keeping sthum but who is moving where? I haven't even heard any rumours!!

James Taylor

Lisburn

26th Dec 2012

Great to provoke a bit of debate thanks to the catty comments about my initial post. I wasnt referring to myself personally travelling being an issue I meant for others further afield, lucky for you lot that cash isnt an issue in these austere times eh?

Clarence Hiles

Lapland

23rd Dec 2012

Nothing personal Fred just a bit of poetic license. Not one of them worth the money in either North-West, NCU or Leinster. How can you pay thousands of pounds to players with no gate receipts?
Answer-Bar receipts and sponsorship! Not a great business model.
It's another topic but Harry Rednapp has it summed up at Loftus Road.
Happy Christmas.

fred Londonderry..

londonderry

23rd Dec 2012

Sorry chap but feel that the money pop at teams from LONDONDERRY a wee bit laughable when the ncu as bad if not worse. On a brighter note nice poem an a very merry christmas ...ho ho ho..........

andy kennedy

Buckna

23rd Dec 2012

James - why not find 3 mates and share the travelling? Hey preesto - 4 at the course instead of one! Makes more sense than your idea of a trainer travelling all round the place to take a cloass of small numbers. And the majority of clubs are within striking distance anyway? Anyway - as the graffitti on the old Bryan Street toilets used to say " A merry Christmas to all our readers"!

Alan C

in the dark

22nd Dec 2012

James, if you have a friend who also wants to attend umpire training, you might be able to split the driving duties. It used to be a 10 week course!
Maybe you remember the umpire roadshows a few years ago? Even when umpire training 'comes to a place near you'the turn out was poor.

Clarence Hiles

Lapland

22nd Dec 2012

A CHRISTMAS PRESENT TO OUR UMPIRES
Santa's up in Lapland,
Preparing soon to go,
Stacking all his goodies,
Amidst ten feet of snow,
He's going first to Ulster,
With special cricket gifts,
No time to stop for drinkies,
Or offer casual lifts.
He'll drop some cheques in Derry,
Where the boys prefer the money,
Then off to Belfast City,
Where things are not so funny.
The umpires are in a crisis,
But Santa has a plan,
Ten reindeers at the ready,
Will stand there man to man.
No need for any courses,
The reindeers know their cricket,
Santa has the answer,
With his helpers at the wicket.
They won't hear that awful sledging,
And they'll finger all the Pros,
They'll take us back to basics,
And banish all our woes.
No need for more recruitment,
The courses now aborted,
If you believe in Santa,
The crisis has been sorted!

Merry Christmas
CH

Michael

Belfast

22nd Dec 2012

Come on James. Lighten up. A few quid for petrol-less than a pint of beer! Things must be really tough in your house and that cheap little shot about complaining. You must be a bag of fun this Christmas.

Clarence Hiles

HQ

21st Dec 2012

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all our forumites and your families.
Clarence and Peter

James Taylor

Lisburn

20th Dec 2012

R.E Umpire training courses
In these tough financial times how do you expect anyone to travel to Belfast from any of the further outposts of the N.C.U on 6 Tuesday evenings?

Regionalise and shorten the training or continue to complain!

andy kennedy

bucketing in Buckna

19th Dec 2012

you'd better be careful Jonathan. I posted some time ago about the number of clubs that don't supply ANY umpires and i was lambasted - you might fall into the same trap!! On a different subject - England have just won a series in India and the England rugby side beat an over-tired and ill New Zealand side and suddenly once again its "bring on the world!" time. Apparently both victories are just the first steps on the journey to winning the respective World Cups!!

JONATHAN LYTTLE

NIACUS

19th Dec 2012

Training Courses for Umpires are in process of being finalised for the New Year. NIACUS would appeal to all clubs, former players and interested individuals to consider attending the training. Keith Smith our Training Officer has designed a course that will be spread over 6 Tuesdays at Knockbraken and this will allow for people to make a supreme effort to attend. At a recent meeting we heard of the loss of another six umpires from our list and this is going to pile the pressure on Ian Houston even more. There are clubs who simply ignore our appeals but expect to benefit from two Umpires in the middle each week. It is time for those clubs to take some responsibility and support NIACUS instead of offering token suppport. The long term future of cricket requires a strong base of active officials and we cannot simply sustain things with only a few new faces each season. More details on courses to follow in early January.
NIACUS would like to wish everyone a very Happy Christmas and Dry 2013.

billy adams

home

13th Dec 2012

Sorry to hear of the passing of ian gourley many a good time had in his company thoughts and prayers with the family at this difficult time

Cregagh CC

Cregagh

11th Dec 2012

Cregagh CC is seeking an experienced player/coach for the 2013 season. The preference is for a top order batsman who can bowl but who also has a track record of coaching senior players.

Remuneration will be commensurate with the successful applicant's experience.

Interested parties should email details of their cricketing background to graham77watt@btinternet.com by 10/1/2013.

Robin Haire

Comber

10th Dec 2012

Sad news to hear about the passing of Ian Gourley.I was lucky enough to get to know Ian during the 80s and 90s when i was playing for North Down and Ulster Town,Ian always being the first to welcome me to his beloved Ballygomartin Road when i was playing there.Also remember superb weekends spent with Ian on interpro duty when he was team manager,always able to get the the best out of us.
As everyone knew,Ian was a great supporter of both NCU and Irish cricket,working tirelessly for both for many years.
To Stephen and family sincere condolences,and to Mr.Woodvale thanks for your friendship.RIP

Robin Haire