Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Jason Maxwell

Banford Green

17th Jan 2013

Re: Dee

We have discussed this at Millpark quite often is it in the rules that players can be loaned for a season??? i think and this isnt a slight on Waringstown or North Down but maybe they wouldnt be keen incase the player enjoys and and doesnt want to return?? great point tho

dee

belfast

17th Jan 2013

i also agree with clarence feeder clubs would be an ideal way forward but that should include the bigger clubs sending some of their younger players to the feeder club.
This would surey speed up their development and therefore the bigger club has a player better prepared in a shorter time.
it would be interesting to see what north down or Waringstown , to name 2 clubs, would consider a partnership like this with a smaller club

ronnie mcalpine

where the hills have eyes

17th Jan 2013

re jason; you've gotta know by now that it can't be the umpires fault every time you fail (hang on that's every time you bat) honest i'm jokin really enjoy your season and thanx

taito

belfast

16th Jan 2013

Ronnie, The bar takings at our place will take a huge hit lol. Seriously though good luck in your new endeavour, im sure you will have the coat on again sometime soon. (T6 tournament at our place)

Jason Maxwell

Banford Green

16th Jan 2013

Ronnie you’ve made my year with your sabbatical its safe to bat again haha only joking mate will miss your trips to Millpark this season hope to see you back again in the near future!!! Id planned to do the umpire course this season myself but I cant commit to the times that its held ive a 2 yr old running about who I hardly get to see as it is.

ronnie mcalpine

hilltown believe it or not

16th Jan 2013

hi everyone i've taken on a new venture and won't be available to umpire this comin' season i genuinely will miss it big time. i would recommend to any true cricket enthusiast to give umpiring a go. there is no better place to watch a game from than directly behind the bowlers arm. and dont believe all the nonsense you might hear,it's really not as confrontational as some would want to make you believe. and housty aint the tyrant he'd like to think he is. (tongue firmly in cheek of course)

Ivan McCombe

Muckamore

15th Jan 2013

Player movements have always been part of the game. The Ballymena team I played in in the 80's included players from all over the place recruited mainly by Jim Boyce. Harry Cook moved to Lisburn and then Waringstown winning 4 Senior One league medals along the way. Even Paddy O'Hara moved from Carrickfergus to Muckamore to then play at a higher level in the early 70's. Any player worth his salt should want to play at the highest level possible regardless of international inspirations. I agree with Clarence that feeder clubs is a great way forward. Millpark have produced players for Waringstown, Ards for North Down, Larne for Ballymena. I think clubs can decide what level they aspire to , how much they want to spend to achieve that and players can equally find clubs to match their ambitions and if a club wants to pay them or get them a car or a job good luck to them. And a word of caution. Half the lies we hear , aren't true. I take the talk of what's on offer with a pinch of salt. From now in I think we will see more and more top players moving to the Premier League clubs and maybe even soon clubs will chose not to be promoted into that elite group.

Mr Cynical

BB house

15th Jan 2013

Andrew - People may question their moves whenever they hear that one of the "more established Premier clubs" was asked to sort out a job & car at least for one of the individuals, so goodness knows what CSN sorted for him...

andy kennedy

baltic in Buckna

15th Jan 2013

not sure that the NCU is "least affected". I have read with interest the latest "feature" and I reflect back on some of the big spending clubs from the early years of the "professional era". Some of those clubs now languish in the lower leagues so I wonder do they ever reflect on the cost/benefit of the outlay? Are there lessons to be learned from AIL rugby vis-a-vis the proposed regional league? 2 Ulster sides at the bottom of 1B and none in 1A seems a poor return for all the money that was ploughed into the professional game. Will the apparently cash rich Leinster sides dominate? Just some musings in the long evenings in Buckna!!

Andrew

Co Down

15th Jan 2013

Why should anyone question the moves of these two young players to CSNI. Im sure both players felt it was the best move at this time for their careers.

Well aware that other Premier clubs were snubbed in favour of their moves so obviously they have given this plenty of thought. Im sure they both realise that they will get plenty of opportunities at this club, as supposed to playing at a more established top premier club. I would imagine this has been the determining factor in their moves.

Michael

Belfast

14th Jan 2013

Andy, we will be going back there again and again and again. Look at the North-West cheque book Charlies and what's happening at YM and Co in Dublin. It seems the NCU is the least affected.

andy kennedy

grumpy in Buckna

12th Jan 2013

is it just me or has anyone else noticed the amount of "twisted face" snarling that has entered into televised sport? The winning of a "leg" in darts or scoring a goal in soccer is the cue for a "yeoowww" and a closed-fist salute. Sadly it has crept into the beautful game - the recent India - England ODI is the latest example. The problem is that when this appears on TV it percolates down to the local game - not a great example for youngsters. P.S. don't start about the spending of money in local cricket - we've been there over & over & over again.

Michael

Belfast

12th Jan 2013

Agreed lackofmoneybags. How refreshing.
Time will tell if the moves prove correct as players don't always move for money.
I suspect you didn't always lack money Mr lackofmoneybags!

JONATHAN LYTTLE

Home

11th Jan 2013

Due to unforeseen circumstances my plans to go to CIYMS have fallen through so I am available to any club to score for them for the 2013 season. I have 18 years experience at club level and 15 years at representative and national level. I have scored at internationals and am a member of the ICC Europe Scoring panel. References to my ability can be given upon request. My preference would be at Premier level but I am willing to consider all offers. I can be contacted at jonathan.lyttle@nihe.gov.uk

Lackofmoneybags

Thebaroncricketinglandscape

11th Jan 2013

Re - Michael & Moneybags

Totally true Moneybags :-)

Perish the thought Michael that anyone would want to move for legitimate cricketing reasons eh - How refreshing !