Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Davy Menaul

work

12th Nov 2012

Thoughts are with Gavin, entire McNerlin family and all at Dundrum CC on the sad passing of Ted. Gentleman.

RIP

Graham Watt

Cregagh

12th Nov 2012

Very sorry to learn of the passing of Ted McNerlin, always made us feel very welcome when Cregagh played against Dundrum.

Thoughts and prayers are with the McNerlin family from everyone at Cregagh CC

Neil Gill

Muckamore

11th Nov 2012

On behalf of Muckamore CC I would like to pass on sincere condolences to the McNerlin family. Ted was Dundrum through and through and always had time to have a chat and bit of craic with me and the Muckamore boys when we played against Dundrum, he was a true gentleman.

Neil

andy kennedy

Buckna

11th Nov 2012

Mr. Boomer - every chance I missed was travelling like bullet (sic) so I know how you feel!!! On a serious note, there has s been a number of bereavements & recipients of "bad news" within our cricket "family" in the NCU and further afield over the past few weeks. On behalf of Michael, Jonny and myself I extend our sincere symapthy to all those affected and be assured that our thoughts are with you all at this time.

Stevie Max

Dundrum

9th Nov 2012

Dundrum Cricket Club are saddened to hear of the death tonight of Ted McNerlin. Ted was a very popular member of Dundrum Cricket Club. His son Gavin is a current player. Ted had been suffering lately with cancer. I'm sure many of you know Ted very well and will join with me and the rest of the club to pass our condolences to his wife Avril, sons Richard and Gavin, brothers Gibson, Kenny and Dawson and the entire family circle.

wesley best

Portadown

9th Nov 2012

Caleb

We had a player who claimed never to have dropped a catch in his career but he worked on the principal that if you don't go for it you won't drop it. I don't think Paul's record will ever be equalled because in those days bowlers weren't restricted in the number of overs they could bowl. When Paul had taken 7 or 8 wickets my brother actually dopped a catch which in hindsight was just as well, although he wasn't congratulated at the time!

Alan C

The land of traffic jams

8th Nov 2012

Playing for Armagh against Portadown in 1972 Armagh had been bowled out for 50 odds. Hampton Ewart returned figures of 9 for 10. He could of had 10 for 9, but a catch was dropped and the fielder ran out the batsman.

C.Boomer

Home

7th Nov 2012

Wesley,

As regards unique achievements on the cricket field, I can't come close to Paul's illustrious record of taking all 10 wkts in a match and all clean bowled too boot, don't think that will ever be equaled!

But I can claim (with the exception of the wet summer just past), from 1995 to 2011 playing cricket each year, I never dropped a single catch, easy or difficult !

And I had loads of opportunities believe me !

I fielded in every position when taking these catches except for wicket-keeper.

But alas you've only my word for this, as they didn't mark these catches down to my name in the score-books!

And the reason why my record doesn't remain intact and continuous, is that I dropped a couple last summer because of a very slippery ball and it was travelling like a bullet each time !

But I'm looking forward again to start fresh next season and try and beat my own record.

Wesley Best

Portadown

7th Nov 2012

Taking 10 wickets in an innings is quite an achievement but I believe Paul was the only one who clean bowled all 10 batsmen.

Has anyone any other examples of unique achievements in NCU cricket? There's sure to be some stories.

clarence Hiles

HQ

6th Nov 2012

Wesley,
Sad news about Paul. We featured it in an Ulster Cricketer many years ago.
I am aware of both James Macdonald and Scott Huey taking all 10 wickets in a senior game and there may be a few others down the leagues.

Wesley Best

Portadown

6th Nov 2012

In 1988 Paul McBarritt playing for Laurelvale 3rd XI against YMCA took all 10 wickets, all bowled. Sadly Paul passed away last week. I believe this has never been done before or since in a senior game in Irish cricket; unless someone can tell me different.

David Menaul

Work

2nd Nov 2012

On behalf of my mum, sister Joanne and myself I would like to say thank you for all the kind words about my dad.

The support from individuals and clubs has been overwhelming but provided my family with great strength and hope since my dad passed away.

I hope that over the next few months and season I will be able to pass on my family thanks to all in person.

On a lighter note I did chuckle when I noticed that my dad was laid to rest next to Desi Kane. Im sure the conversation between them will be tremendous.

Thank you.

Yvonne, Joanne & David

robin haire

comber

1st Nov 2012

To I Callendar report and ards chronicle reporter on ndcc new pros for season 2013
It is in fact the first time since 1997 not 2006 that ndcc 1sts had a trophyless season.
The ulster cup organisers allowed north down to keep above trophy after the victory over limavady.
After what is now remembered as connellgate the ncu awarded the senior league to Waringstown and withdrew the 20/20 trophy from ndcc.
So in fact first time in 15 seasons that we have been trophyless.

Graham Watt

Cregagh

30th Oct 2012

Sorry to hear about Harry's accident from all of us at Cregagh we hope for a speedy recovery and please pass on our regards and best wishes for a full recovery.

Jonathan Lyttle

NIACUS

29th Oct 2012

The Officers and Members of NIACUS would like to send their best wishes on a speedy recovery to our friend and colleague Harry McCammon who was involved in a serious road accident in the North West and is currently in Altnagelvin Hospital. Our thoughts are with Harry at this time and he is hoping to be transferred to Belfast as soon as he is allowed by medical staff. Will keep you informed of progress.