Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Andrew Haire

Co Down

26th Oct 2012

I would just like to add my condolences to the Menaul family upon hearing of Bobby Menaul's truly sad passing.

As captain of North Down CC 2s next year I would like to invite any interested criket teams from Junior 1 upwards to a 20/20 competition I am trying to setup for Sunday 22nd April. If you might be interested you can give me a buzz if you wanna get a couple of 20/20 games played in the one day. Ideally looking 3 other sides to make this happen.

You can call me if interested 07837968988

Andrew

Clarence Hiles

HQ

26th Oct 2012

Bobby Menaul's sad passing removes another fine club stalwart from our midst. Everyone will have their memories of Bobby but as a person and a cricketer Andrew Cowden's tribute is sincerely and beautifully penned. On behalf of the Ulster Cricketer and cricketers throughout the NCU sincere condolences to David and the Menaul family and his club colleagues down the years.
Clarence Hiles
Editor

andy kennedy

Buckna

26th Oct 2012

I am sorry to learn of Bobby Menaul's death. He and I had a bit of banter following the Cliftonville-Woodvale 20-over game in September. But then we always had a good craic up at Mallusk especially when we got Billy Thompson wound up! My thoughts are with Davy and the family at this sad time.

Andrew Cowden

Ballyclare

25th Oct 2012

Re: Bobby Menaul

I was shocked and absolutely devasted when I heard of Bobby Menaul passing away yesterday afternoon. Bobby was a great friend of both my father and I. We, like others, enjoyed his great company through many years together at Cliftonville and Carrick. Bobby was a true gentleman, a knowledgeable coach, a cricket lover and a very proud father of David.

I will be forever thankful to Bobby for his tireless and passionate coaching every Friday night during the winter from when I was 13 to 18, his coaching during the summer months and for his advice and support right up to the past season. Bobby was a true cricket man, a serving Cliftonville CC committee member, working tirelessly on their Mallusk ground, and every off-season he even sanded and re-oiled bats for me and others.

On behalf of the Cowden's, I would like to pass on my condolances to Yvonne, Joanne, David and Gemma at this very sad time. Our thoughts are with you all.

RIP "The Governor"

Andrew, Andrea, Harry and Irene.

Suzanne Gallagher

Newtownabbey

25th Oct 2012

Thank u all for the wonderful comments about my Da Dessi Kane.... He was a wonderful man and we will all miss him so much. Please spread the word about this forum, would love to hear more stories as I was to young to remember those great days xx

Jeff Maguire

Dundrum

25th Oct 2012

Sad news about both Dessie Kane and Bobby Menaul who was one of the nicest gentlemen i ever met in cricket our prayers go out to the son Davy & the family circle and Cliftonville cc fron Dundrum cc

Julie Kane

United Kingdom

25th Oct 2012

Thank you for all the kind messages about my dad. Had a laugh when I read the one saying about bowling in the dark. That sounds like my dad alright - always had a great sense of humour.

Peter Hawthorne

Leicester

25th Oct 2012

Shockingly sad news about Bobby Menaul . One of the people I always turned to for advice. No one has a bad word to say about him and rightly so . RIP Bobby. We'll miss you

robin haire

Comber

24th Oct 2012

just reading the sad news on Dessie Kanes passing,a fine quick bowler who gave his all on the cricket field.As Jimmy Boyce always said "well bowled Dessie Kane" Condolences to the Kane family and Ballymena cricket club.RIP

Neil Cahill

Cliftonville Cricket Club

24th Oct 2012

It's with great sadness that I have heard that Bobby Menaul passed away this afternoon. Bobby was a loyal member and supporter of Cliftonville and provided great support as a Committee member over the last few years to the Club.

Our thoughts are with his wife, Yvonne, David, Joanne and Gemma at this time.

Jonathan Lyttle

NIACUS

24th Oct 2012

NIACUS are proud to announce Murray Power was elected as a Life Member of the Association at our recent AGM. This is a much deserved recognition of someone who has given so much to the sport over the past number of years and we are delighted that he accepted this award for his services.

Andy McCrea

Templepatrick CC

23rd Oct 2012

Can I just mention how proud and delighted we are that Arthur Bowron ( our President ) was recently awarded the JIM McMORRAN AWARD FOR VOLUNTARY SERVICES TO CRICKET at the recent NCU AGM.

Arthur has dedicated over four decades to promoting cricket through Templepatrick CC.
His enthusiasm has seen him represent the club as player, committee member, groundsman, secretary, treasurer & President & every other role possible since being a founder member of the club in 1969.

Arthur has gone above & beyond his duties as a volunteer. His enthusiasm & dedication to cricket is inspirational. He is not only a great role model & ambassador for Templepatrick CC, Arthur is a true gentleman, totally unassuming & someone of whom everyone at Templepatrick CC is immensely proud.

Thoroughly deserved and a great choice in our eyes.

Paul McCrum

Dallas TX

23rd Oct 2012

Rest in peace Dessie Kane - one of my early local bowling heroes - a top quickie who had pace and passion on the field - great company off the field. Gone but never forgotten in Ulster cricketing folklore - "well bowled Dessie Kane" always echoes........

andy kennedy

balmy Buckna

21st Oct 2012

Heartiest congratulations to Arthur Bowron on his much-deserved award. One of the unsung heroes who has put in so much over so many years to his beloved Templepatrick.

clarence Hiles

HQ

21st Oct 2012

RIP Citizen Kane.
Sad news indeed that Dessie Kane has passed to a higher calling. What a character and what a privilege to have shared so many experiences as friend and foe on and off the cricket field. Fine cricketer he was and both combative and fiery in the heat of sporting battle, but endearing and entertaining off it. One of the all time Greats of Ballymena cricket.