Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

michael patterson

Lisburn

15th May 2008

Roger at least you had the decency to address some of our concerns and thanks for that.
Why is it such a big issue for the NCU officials to answer the questions on postponements? The longer the silence the more the plot thickens.
Communication is transparency.

Ryan McCarter

The Mall

15th May 2008

R.E Junior Interpro

I think in theory this is a good idea to continue to play this game but what is achieved by playing guys approaching or into their 30s? What do they get out of it is my query?

Why dont both Unions decide to reward the young guys playing 1st XI Cricket in Section 2 by making this a Under 20 fixture?

taito

work

15th May 2008

rodney

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. Firstly your comment regarding not being good enough to play in section 1 you have to accept the arrangements in section 2. Of course we accept the arrangements in section 2, we play cricket in any section and do our best each week , hopefully to get back to section 1. This is a forum and i am airing my personal opinions , not those of downpatrick, im sure there are probably guys on our team who would like to play in a junior inter pro. The point i was making is that there is no actual point in it other than another sunday where clubs cannot rearrange fixtures. You can hardly compare playing for ireland to play in a junior inter pro so if you are 100th choice for that team it would still be an honour??.
Fair play to you for having the passion rodney but personally i think the young kids can aspire to playing for the clubs first xi and getting as high up the league as possible.
I dont think my views on this are isolated there are quite a few boys out there who would agree.
with regards the junior inter pros being able to compare standards between the unions, then we already have the ulster shield for that , where north west and NCU teams can be compared.
No one is undervaluing of forgetting about section 2 , because it has probably had more chat and publicity than in any other year, and will be one of the most exciting leagues in years. I dont think a junior interpro would add to that.
But we are all have different views

rodney hassard

Dundrum

15th May 2008

taito

I agree with most of your selections although I havent seen a few of them play.

With regards the reason behind having a junior interpro. I totally disagree with you. Are you saying if you were 4th choice to play for ireland or even 100th choice, you would turn them down because you thought there was no honour in being less than first choice? I think its rediculous to make such a comment. Also I think your post signals everything that is wrong with NCU cricket at the moment. You place importance in Senior Inter Pros whereby the supposed best players in the country play against each other. I think this is a good indication of the different league standards however does it really represent the standard of the lower sections, sections were grass roots cricket is at present undervalued. Having a junior interpro allows a comparison to be made between lower level cricket which gives another good representation of what the standards are like. Too many people forget about cricket below section 1, perhaps if there was more effort / emphasis put into clubs in the lower leagues then it would improve the state and strength of the union. Look at Dundrum for example, there is newcastle, dundrum, castlewellan, seaforde, clough, kilkeel, annalong etc that is untapped. Junior interpros are a first step for the youth of today to aim towards and I think most people would see it as an honour to represent the union, I know I would. Readers will notice that the people who undervalue junior interpros have indeed played at senior level and play for clubs who should be section 1 clubs. It is obvious that these clubs / players are only interested in themselves. Well I say, if you arent good enough to play in section 1 then you should accept the arrangements in section 2 etc.

Gareth Dempster

Wondering if Paul is still Scratching

15th May 2008

SECTION 2 TEAM

1. Johnston (Woodvale)
2. Sharkey (Holywood)
3. J Kennedy (Ballymena)
4. Dunlop (Muckamore)
5. Kirkpatrick (woodvale)
6. McCormick (Holywood)
7. Donnelly (Woodvale)
8. Cleland (Woodvale)
9. Gill (Muckamore)
10. Glass (Ballymena)
11. Shannon (Holywood)

I have left out players from Saintfield and Dundrum as i have never played against them and players from Lurgan and Downpatrick as i havent seen them in quite a few years.

Rodney Hassard

Dundrum

15th May 2008

Roger

Fair play to you for leaving a comment on the forum to hear other peoples opinions, perhaps something the NCU should consider going forward. What date will the team be picked on?

Rodney

michael patterson

Lisburn

15th May 2008

See what you started Ivan?
I'm not sure Junior Inter Pros is the correct name if the team is from section two as players like David Kennedy would be automatics in a senior interpro team. For many years players outside section one were picked on senior representative teams. Junior interpro teams were selected from clubs that particiapted in the Junior Cup.
As for Rodney, you are picking a County Down team!

taito

work

15th May 2008

forgot a couple
r owens (saintfield)
s sharkey (hollywood)

taito

work

15th May 2008

junior inter pro team: a few names

neil gelston (downpatrick)
james cunningham (downpatrick)
andrew kirkpatrick (woodvale wk)
Van niekerk (Lurgan, assuming he is eligible?)
b baguley (muckamore)
p mccormick (hollywood)

these are just a few which going on form could be there or there abouts

Paul Robinson

Belfast

15th May 2008

Good to see someone from the NCU on, congrats Roger! - However regarding my earlier question regarding the postponement of our game this Saturday, do you know when Waringstown made the initial request to have the game postponed - As I've already said I fully agree with the decision.

Rodney re people who don't play on a Sunday, I know of some people who don't play Sunday credit, namely David and James Kennedy of Ballymena - I fully respect their stance however they would probably make most peoples team.

taito

sunny belfast

15th May 2008

I have to agree that junior inter pro's are a waste of time, i am one who is in favour of bringing back the senior inter pros but because they can be used to see more players on the fringe of the ireland set up playing against the best.

The junior version has no such purpose and i can see where rodney is coming from in that some guys might see it as an honour to be picked for an inter pro side, but i can guarantee you that the team that is originally picked doesnt even closely resemble the team that finally takes the field. Many people will pull out or become unavailable , so really if you come in as a replacement or a replacement for a replacement where is the honour in that?

Roger Bell

Home

15th May 2008

Junior Inter Pro

I always welcome suggestions from clubs re in-form players we should be considering for the Junior Inter-Pro. Please feel free to email me any recommendations, otherwise we just have this year's result forms and successful performances in previous seasons to go on. I would also be interested in seeing what Section 2 cricketers reckon is the strongest side we can field (no ex-Ireland internationals allowed)

Rodney Hassard

Dundrum

15th May 2008

Paul

I agree with most of the points in your last post. With regards Senior inter pro, thats another topic but I think interpro cricket (if top players are selected) is a good indication of the standard of the different unions. It is good to know what the standard is like at junior level as well as senior as it could be argued it is a truer reflection of the state of the unions.

I only know of one player who would not player due to sunday cricket (ok i dont know enough about the other teams) but that is his choice and I dont think this is an argument to cancel the interpro. I agree entirely with you about playing the game so soon. THis favours the clubs that are in the section last year as new players from promoted clubs don't have the opportunity to push for a place. I think the inter pro should be picked based on facts from this season, even if its only 5 games in. This way everyone plays on merit and not for the fact they are a big name.

I also agree with you on Sunday cricket, I dont like the fact of playing sunday cricket every week and I have done it lots in the past, but I think there are other reasons why this is happening and it shouldnt be blamed on one single inter pro match.

As you say Paul, everyone is entitled to their opinion so I'll respect yours.

Ivan, it would be interesting to pick a team from section 2 as their are lots of good players. Barring the pro's what would your team be?

I'll start off by throwing a few players into the pot for consideration.

1) Leon Moore - Batsman - Hollywood
2) Seamus Sharkey - Batsman - Hollywood
4) John Tormey - WK - Dundrum
5) Lee Connor - Opening Bowler - Dundrum
6) Joel Maguire - Off Spinner - Dundrum
7) Ray McCavery - Batsman - Saintfield

As you can see these are all players that play alongside me or who i've played against however the teams are from the lower half of the table and by no means will get into the side but I feel they should be considered.

R

michael patterson

Lisburn

15th May 2008

Please no Ivan. Don't invite a lot of meaningless selections upon us. I agree with both Rodney and you in that they have a benefit and teams should be selected on merit. A trawl of all the clubs would be the most democratic way but we know it will be passed to appointed NCU selectors to make the picks.
Meanwhile the silence from the NCU men is deafning!

Gareth Dempster

Scratching my Head

15th May 2008

Have the NCU employed Caitriona Ruane in their decision Making process????

Or are they so impressed with how the IFA do business they thought they would follow suit.

No, sorry I forgot they have been making decisions like this since Adam and Eve first pulled on the whites!

Firstly can I say.... I am not playing this season so it in no way has an impact on my Sat afternoon of Shopping or drinking watching the FA cup Final. But if my memory serves my correctly, was there not a fixture farce last season due to the weather? Now we can't play cricket when it’s dry!

I totally understand the Waringstown position, but why has it taken until the wed before the game for the NCU to inform the home team of this????

If the rules state that a club can have a game cancelled due to a player or players being involved with the international team, why the need for a meeting? And surely there has to be a cut off dated for this to happen.