Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Paul Stafford

Craigavon

14th May 2008

Mark

Andrew Sutherland, Taimur Khan, Luke Parsons and Irish players Ralph Coetzee and Peter Connell mean that at the very least North Down are competing on an even basis with any team in Leinster so they can't use that excuse or 'fact' nor do they.

The point I am making is we are not helping the NCU cause by picking understrength teams (with notable exceptions). Look at the NW attitude, they talk themselves up all the time and go into the games believing they can win. The ISC results will only improve when teams start to make an effort to do so and stop complaining.

PS My sense of humour is for my friends and my enjoyment and doesn't require your judgement.

michael patterson

Lisburn

14th May 2008

Does Billy Henderson go into hibernation every so often? Back now with another innovative gem... North versus South matches. Haven't seen that one for a few weeks Billy.
Good to see Staffy back on the UC forum. Can you answer my 10 May posting as we hear all sorts of things these days from 'people in the know?'

Mark

Belfast

14th May 2008

Staffy, you laughed off Stu Daultrey's offensive comments as 'tongue in cheek' but even neutrals like me can see the personal offence. I've read some of his articles and they take the pi** out of everyone and everything. Obviously it appeals to your sense of humour. But you don't need to belittle the opposition because Malahide didn't measure up on the day. On a point of information the 'excuses' you refer to are facts.

Paul Stafford

Craigavon

14th May 2008

Mark
How can you accuse me of not supporting my own? I made my remarks (About the NCU in the ISC) precisely because I care more than a lot of clubs seem to. Look at the Bangor and CSNI line ups on Saturday for example. 2nds players would struggle to recognise the names. Different case on Sunday but the damage was done.
The 3 clubs you mention may now 'carry our hopes' but last year there would only have been apathy. All this ' they have more overseas players than us' or ' their pros are better' or 'these things go in cycles' is just an excuse. The cycle never moves unless you make some attempt to pedal it.
North Down are too good and too fine a club to worry about Stu Daltrey's opinion and I agree that the best place to answer it is on the pitch.

Mark

Belfast

13th May 2008

Staffy, in your defence of Stu Daultrey you forgot to mention what has really annoyed the North Down people...."they don't have the class to win the Bob Kerr." Now if he had said ability (in his opinion) that would have been OK but when it comes to class North Down is up there with the best both in current form and in pedigree. As for the other nonsense he writes it is up to readers to form their own opinion but maybe we Ulster folk are a bit too common to appreciate his indulgence with colourful English language and prefer facts rather than fiction. And maybe we support our own better than you do. Morrissey had it right, answer him on the field. Waringstown, Instonians and North Down carry our hopes.

Gareth McCarter

The Mall

13th May 2008

Brilliant start for us managing to scrape past Muckamore up there, certainly a massive contrast from our bowling and fielding display at Lurgan. It will be a few weeks yet though before the table starts to take shape and we can really see who are contenders. Certainly Ballymena look to be the team to follow at this early stage.

taito

work

13th May 2008

yes rodney , it certainly has been an interesting start to section 2, a shocking one on our part. Great start for Armagh, which many will see as a big shock with a great win against a strong muckamore side. Ballymena looking very strong so far with DK and steve in great form already. I think you might be right that there wont be any one team running away with it, with everyone beating everyone else. Well lets hope so for our sake. Long Long way to go

Rodney Hassard

Work

12th May 2008

Folks

Section 2 seems to be throwing all kinds of surprises already, Downpatrick beaten twice already (albeit by two of the stronger sides), armagh beating muckamore etc. It will be very interesting to see the results unfolding over the coming weeks. My prediction is that a lot of points will be shared and there could be a few more shocks along the way. Great to see the weather so nice for a change!

Wil Carlton

Belfast

12th May 2008

I hope the NCU officials were watching the presentation of the Premier League Trophy yesterday at Wigan. That's how to do it guys. Plenty of publicity for the sponsor, recognition for the winners, mass media focus, and no complaints from the losers. Why would there be?
What a load of nonsense we read last year when the NCU officials couldn't be bothered to present the trophy to North Down at Downpatrick and to inform us this year that the sponsors want the trophies presented at a formal presentation ceremony smacks of manipulation. In any case why not have both? Get with it, you have to use every opportunity to promote the game.

Mark

Belfast

12th May 2008

What did North Down do to annoy Stu Daultrey? In his match 'report' he couldn't say a good word about the Comber team despite rolling over Malahide. Don't get too upset guys because most of his reports are full of nonsense and trivia.
Stu why don't you go on an Ian Callender crash course and learn the art?

michael patterson

Lisburn

10th May 2008

Noticed that Paul Stafford is no longer on the NCU committees (his comment) which confirms a rumour that has been circulating for some time that he was 'pushed.' He's certainly back with a vengeance and his comments are drawing out his critics. Was Staffy too radical for the Suits and did some people put the boot in when he went to Brigade?

jeff maguire

LEG SPINNER for CIYMS

10th May 2008

massive tip for LEG SPINNER at haydock2pm , my NAP wise melody 255 nott,eway lady grace345,presumptive220 ascot,ivy creek110.liberate 125 haydock. berbice 3pm, think blue bajan will give LEG SPINNER race. 2 horses at big prices on betfairlittle white lie220ascot mon michel 2pm. good luck.ps even i would settle too LOSE on horses for aWIN AT SAINTFIELD.LOL

Paul Hatton

Dublin

9th May 2008

Really looking forward to an exciting Irish Senior Cup this year and more competition from the northern teams. Good luck to everyone.

clarence hiles

Barbados

8th May 2008

Thanks PC. He's everything you say and has so much to give cricket on and off the field. I hope the article gives people an insight to his cricket ambitions and kills some of the misconceptions surrounding his availability for Ireland. He's the best bat in the NCU and should be in the frame. You too, so keep taking the wickets and hitting the sixes!

Gareth Dempster

stuck in work

8th May 2008

Very interesting article with Ryan. Over the past ten years i have had the pleasure of playing with many great players. Stephen Warke, Robert Wills, Allan Rutherford, Robin Haire and Andrew White to name but a few. Everyone of them are fantastic cricketers and yet their style of batting is different in many ways. I can honestly say and have done to many people that Ryan is without doubt the most naturally gifted cricketer i have ever played with or against. Why he hasn't played more for Ireland is a mystery. But one thing for sure..... Irelands loss has been North Down's gain!!!