Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Paul Robinson

Still Scratching

15th May 2008

Rodney,

It's always a matter of opinion - I just don't see the point in organising this game seeing as how there isn't even a Senior Inter-Pro, added to the fact that some of the best players in Section 2 aren't available for this game due to Sunday cricket. I suppose if people don't want to play in it they'll just declare that they aren't available - therefore rendering this game meaningless!

If this game has to be played why play it at this time of the year considering this is when most re-arrangements are required, why not play it in August and the selectors will also be able to see who has performed over the year - How can you pick the best players after maybe 4 or 5 games?

Maybe, someday, if your team/players have to play 5 Saturday/Sundays in a row you'll maybe change your view!

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

15th May 2008

I think the junior inter pro would have more meaning and honour if the sides were selected as the best team not what I think the policy is of sharing the places around the clubs.That way we have players feeling good having earned selection.Any thoughts on what the NCU team might be then.?

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

15th May 2008

It seems a strange decision to get a game off because of one player.The fixture jam this could cause is unthinkable. I assume the NCU have now insisted that Instonians play Waringstown in a league game.Both clubs will have picked teams before this decision and after all the other 20 odd players will be keen to play especially in this spell of weather.

Rodney Hassard

Dundrum

15th May 2008

Couple of points to make guys.

First I think it is a disgrace that matches should be abandoned because 1, yes 1, player is missing from a team. I can see waringstown's argument but come on NCU, you can make a common sense decision once in a while. I am not sure what the rules are around this but surely there should be a couple of clearly stated rules rather than leaving it to the disgression of the NCU.

Do county sides in England postpone matches because a player is playing for his country (yes, maybe they have a bigger squad to choose from but the principal is the same). Here in Ireland we need to play as many matches as possible during the good weather so to me it is both pointless and stupendous that a match be called off for one player. Does that mean that every time there is an ireland match, there will be a load of games not played because of players playing for their country?

Second point I have to make is about the Junior Inter Pros. Someone said it was an absolute waste of time having one. I have to disagree considering a lot of junior clubs have players who would be delighted to play in an inter pro. This would be a great achievement for them considering the time and effort they put in over the years and could also lead to bigger and better things as some of the players playing in section 2 have a lot of ability.
Moreover, notice who is making the argument, perhaps if their team were in Section 1 they wouldnt have to complain too much about it!

Paul

Scratching my head

15th May 2008

From a Woodvale perspective I totally understand Waringstown's request and for that matter agree with it, my only queries would be - when was the request made to the NCU and how long did it take the NCU to make the decision?

I also notice that the meaningless Junior Interpro is back! What a great decision, therefore meaning no Section 2 games can be played on Sun 8th June. We at Woodvale now have to re-arrange Holywood and Saintfield games within the 22 day rule. Yeah sure we could play Holywood Sun 25th May and Saintfield Sun 15th June, thrown into the mix Ulster Shield game on Sun 1st June, Junior Inter-Pro Sun 8th June and Twenty/20 Sun 22nd June - some guys are going to end up playing 5 Saturday and Sundays in a row - hardly seems right, when are we supposed to see kids/wives/mistresses seeing as how we work all week - Great work NCU, keep it up!

Alan

Belfast

15th May 2008

Re Michael Patterson
I’m not informed at all, I just have a good memory!
Agree that the NCU should come out with an explanation ASAP…
...but no chance of that!

michael patterson

Lisburn

15th May 2008

Alan, you are well informed so maybe one of the NCU men could give us an official answer? Come on guys we know you are reading this so don't ignore the issue and nip it in the bud with some information on your committee decisions. These should not be trade secrets.
If Instonians won't play because a player is unavailable then 21 other players must be wondering why they play at all. Waringstown has a good case.

Alan

Belfast

15th May 2008

Maybe the NCU could clarify when postponements became Union Policy again?
I could have sworn this rule was abolished at NCU AGM level about 10 years ago?
Weren't North Down penalised (who else would be in the middle of it!) when they had 3 players selected for international duty, eventually losing the league, then the clubs threw the rule out at the end of the season, 2000 I think it was?
Seems odd that the clubs abolish the rule only for the Union to make it a bye-law!!! Not that odd though for the NCU I suppose, a law onto themselves as usual.
The Waringstown one at least seems plausible as it is 3 players but Inst with 1, that was never in the rules even before.
And who decided that the Senior Cup is more important than the Senior League?

michael patterson

Lisburn

15th May 2008

Come on Stephen. They could lose if they went out understrength so why should they take the chance?.
Maybe the Bangor and Woodvale players will see it differently. As for Cliftonville they'll have a great day down near the Mournes and I'm sure they are looking forward to it.

Stephen

Work for once

15th May 2008

What are people's opinions on Instonians and Waringstown postponing their Challenge Cup games this weekend due to unavailabilty of players through the Ireland games? I see Cliftonville haven't postponed their match.

Mark

Belfast

15th May 2008

Ok Staffy, it seems other correspondents are onto you as well so I'll just reply to your little barb that your sense of humour is for your enjoyment and those of your friends. Are you the same guy that has just written that you write for the enjoyment of others and get upset when some people that don't know you criticise you for doing it? You are in the public domain when you write articles and you have to be big enough to take it on the chin when some readers don't agree with you. Same too for Mr Daultrey although he probably couldn't care less.
Vanburn's last sentence says it all.

Paul Stafford

Firmly put in my place.

14th May 2008

OK, OK, I take it all back. All NCU teams move heaven and hell to put out their best teams, try their eyestrings out, and make it the No 1 priority. Cricket in the region is head and shoulders better than anywhere else however there is no complacency. ISC results are a statistical quirk and despite ND and CSNI leaving players out the region does not benefit from overseas players. Each club has hundreds of kids in the youth development and there is never a fixture scrubbed due to cry offs. NCU cricket is full of wonderful people and has never ever been in a healthier state with hundreds of people coming out each week to watch a stunning array of cricketing talent.

Is that better, guys? And I promise never to even hint at any criticism again because it would be completely unfounded.

PS. No animals were harmed in the typing of this apology.

dave

belfast

14th May 2008

Stu's article are offensive. all he does is slag off players, grounds, teas. presidents.etc........report on the cricket please

Vanburn

Home

14th May 2008

Staffy
So, you were at the selection meeting when the CSNI side to play in the ISC was chosen, and no doubt heard that CSNI did not care and would put out a weak side just for the hell of it?? How preposterous and offensive! You need to get your facts right before you go slinging accusations about Clubs not caring. Firstly, eligibility criteria for ISC meant that we had to leave out 3 of our first X1 squad (we could only play 2 out of Thompson, Jones, West, Goodall, and Costain). Secondly, Beverland, McCulla and Heaney had school commitments. Thirdly, Dyer had to withdraw on the morning of the match for personal reasons. That makes 7 of our squad unavailable, and nothing we could do about it ! I can assure you that none of these guys were out shopping with their wives, on holiday, or galavanting about town as opposed to playing and trying to win the fixture. If you had been at the game you would have seen that those who played did indeed care about the result, and but for a magnificent 173 from Todd CSNI would probably have won. Spare me the holier than thou comments in future.

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

14th May 2008

Staffy
Who do you think was missing from the CSNI and Bangor sides on Saturday that was going to make a difference to the results? CSNI with the three Kiwis and Alan Coulter all bowling their ten overs and batting in the top six or seven are always going to have a few "fielders". I think the eight sides that qualified are without exception the top eight sides north of the border and they won't fear anyone in the next round.
The Club Turf has thrown up some great ties and an opportunity for the bragging rights to be won. My match of the round is the one at Beechgrove and I would expect to see a big crowd at that one.