Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

19th May 2008

I maybe should point out that ( a ) Craig is first a batsman who can bowl quick. We at Muckamore have produced a couple of very good batsmen who could also bowl and suddenly they became bowlers and batted down the order.Namely Andy Clement who scored 600 runs in a season for us bating in the top four and Connor Breet who was scoring regular fifties in our 2nds as a teenager.If these two guys had never bowled a ball they would have played Senior cricket as batsmen.So it's something to guard against and ( b ) The trial system.This isn't the first time we as a club have "failed " to follow the system.Jason V de Merve wasn't originally selected in the NCU under 15 squad yet he became a regular in the Irish Under 15 team and is progressing to the Under 17's.He played all last season on our 1sts and top scored against Carrick on Saturday.So is there a need for spreading the net wider to make sure good players don't slip through the net.Both these boys and another 15 year old playing on our firsts Sunson Stephenson are all pupils at Parkhall High School where the PE teacher Glenn Martin is producing some good cricketers but the school isn't yet a " recognized " cricketing school.

mark

Belfast

19th May 2008

Staffy didn't have to wait long to get his own back on David Edwards! Have to agree with Staffy on this one as David is wearing two hats. When you sit on NCU committees you have to accept majority rule even if you don't agree and someone else from Derriaghy would have been better setting out the circumstances. But let's forget the messenger and look at the message as the club appears hard done by.

Rodney Hassard

Work

19th May 2008

Ivan I faced Craig on Sunday and at 14 he does have a lot of pace. I think the thing that will make him a very good bowler is his bowling action. I have to say it is a great action and one that will generate more pace as he gets bigger. I came down the wicket to him a few times on Sunday but he never lost his line and length which is a good sign. Regarding trials, is the point of a trial not to find out how good someone is? Surely if Craig is bowling in section 2 and bowling well then a trial is not required?

michael patterson

Lisburn

19th May 2008

Ivan, if this kid is as good as all these people say then he should be at the trial. Bumper reads this forum so there's no excuse for not knowing about him and while the forum shouldn't be used to tout selections it seems this kid was only off the radar because the club made a mistake. That's not his fault so come on Billy, mistakes can be rectified. This isn't the old school trials where your school name got you a pick, this is 2008.

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

19th May 2008

Jeff by the sounds of it the boys had a good day out at Dundrum. It's always better when you win. Re your posting about young Craig Drummond I really think if he keeps his feet on the ground (and hopefully there's enough of us old guys about to ensure that) he can play at the highest level. I saw Andrew White at 15, James Hall at 14 and Craig at 14 isn't far behind the standards those boys set. Unfortunately for Craig we didn't as a club put him forward for the winter nets for the NCU Under 15 side. I know John McCormick (who knows a cricketer when he sees one) has spoken to Bumper Dale about Craig but it looks like he will miss out as the trial 22 was already selected. Our professional Kami thinks he's the best youngster that he's seen in his five years here and at Downpatrick for the 2nds on Saturday Paul Linehan wanted a £50 bet Craig would play for Ireland. He was impressed when he saw him bat but was really impressed when he faced him bowling with real pace. So hopefully he can get a chance now to break in to the NCU under age set up. Benny Craig who has bowled probably the most overs of anyone still playing in the NCU (and played at Downpatrick on Saturday) is another reference if any selectors want another opinion.

andy kennedy

Muckamore

19th May 2008

A brief note to comment on a terrific day yesterday at Dundrum and to thank the club for their hospitality. No doubt they also will claim credit for the weather! but a really enjoyable afternoon in scenic surroundings - and in the Dundrum Inn afterwards - they certainly entertained the visitors well.

jeff maguire

dundrum

19th May 2008

dundrum lost on sunday too a strong muckamore side & without darren mccann richard shilliday&gavin mcnerlin it was always a tall ask, they brought a good vocal support to the meadow&fully deserved the points& have a real star for the future in 14 year old chris drummond who can go too the top . it was great too see a big crowd at dundrum

graham lamb

belfast

18th May 2008

ridiculous that a game of cricket is called off because one player was missing. i see in dublin both clontarf and railway union both played in their repspective cup competitions without their international players

jeff maguire

bigger game 2day!!!!

18th May 2008

cheers danny was great result for us & fantastic too see ciyms ,derriaghy &us 3teams that not that long were in section 3& still in quarter final of the DOWN DEMOCRAT challenge cup!we deserved too win but it was alittle nervous at the end but still would rather have win 2day as think MUCKAMORE might be 2strong as we have 3missing. but we always hard too beat in THE MEADOW.i would love too see waringstown or north down at our as it might never happen again as ciyms proved 2 years ago DREAMS do happen.yes horses were good yesterday &1 didnt run ironiclly i backed the wiiner strategic mission 16 1, so dont tell her indoors but was a TOP DAY allround.fair play too brian stirling&his team were top sports & dundrum wish them well in a predictement that they have very little control over!

Paul Hatton

Dublin

18th May 2008

Where can I get the NCU cup results?
The NCU site has only two results this morning and it seems there was plenty of action elsewhere.
Is it true the Instonians v Bangor game was called off because one player was on Ireland duty? Who was this?

Response

A White - who was watching at The Green yesterday.
Results:
North Down beat Downpatrick
CIYMS beat Lisburn
Derriaghy beat Lurgan
Dundrum beat Cliftonville
CSNI beat Laurelvale
Inst v Bangor & Woodvale v Waringstown POSTPONED

D Smyth

Belfast

18th May 2008

Is the Paul Ryan instigating the 'Peter Connell for Ireland' club the same Paul Ryan who is his bat sponsor, by any chance?

Danny

Belmont

17th May 2008

Congratulations to dundrum on their cup win today.

Maybe it will be CIYMS v Dundrum quarter final and a night out in the Bay Inn!

Jeff your tips were a lot better today than last week!

michael patterson

lisburn

17th May 2008

Doesn't Craig Irwin talk a lot of common sense?
Fine cricketer, nice person and straightforward talker on the game. Good to see him on the forum and his views are much appreciated on any topic.

jeff maguire

horse racing tips

17th May 2008

CRAIG,think your post was 100%!madness picking TEAM now as not many had a chance too show selectors how much talent each club has,&july would be idealtime then play game in august get sponsor ground (saintfield)run all day barbeque& raise £ give too charity(or ulster schools cricket tour).their even use too be game between section 3&4 &realy is time for all sections too be noticed as they say its the CLUBS outside the premier that will provide the up&coming STARS of the future.realy dissapointed that paul stirling not playing as wee at DUNDRUM want too see &play againest the best as not enough people enjoy CRICKET as its not all about WINNING!NAP AQLAAM535 newbury.eway JARDIN DE VIENNE435bangor,TRANQUIL TIGER210 newbury .STORYLAND 850 doncaster. cant decide between TARIQ & HARADASAN 245 newbury.ps great too see wylie mckinty&roger bell on THE BEST FORUM we have,idont always agree with NCU but they do a FANTASTIC UNPAID JOB&will never get every decision right so lets also SUPPORT THEM or get YOURSELF IN the commitees&see if you can do better, good luck 2day &lets hope weather holds.

Craig Irwin

Lurgan

16th May 2008

To all contributors re Junior Interpro.

I have had the privilige of playing in this fixture and my opinion is that is is a keenly fought and looked forward to contest on both sides. I initially was one of those players albeit early/mid 90's who was a fringe Senior Interpro player and I did not enjoy the atmosphere of people needing to bat/bowl to impress selectors, or indeed hideaway so they couldnt do any wrong or knew the skipper etc, all factors that ultimately resulted in a largely non-enjoyable experience. Can I say that the Section 2 equivalent is no such thing with everyone involved enjoying the banter of meeting up with colleagues/rivals and no pressures of Irish Selection around the corner(and I know the originators of the idea wish for a better name than Junior). It is I believe a recognition of players who 'stand out' as major contrbutors to the leagues below Premier League. There are always players who will declare a disinterest but this should never undermine those that are proud to represent their league.
I do however believe that a date in late July/August would have truly reflected those players who deserve recognition and then the ball is in their court should they choose to accept it.