Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

michael patterson

Lisburn

21st May 2008

Good article by Staffy on schools cricket although a little harsh in some areas. Saturday schools cricket has always been a challenge.
Does the same problem exist with schools rugby, hockey, football and netball? If not, is the reason the length of the games? If so, why not go the Twenty20 route?
Also what do the teachers out there think?

mark

Belfast

21st May 2008

Thanks Ed.
That makes sense. Sorry Phil, call off the wolves. We don't see much of the Leinster players these days!!

mark

Belfast

21st May 2008

Fintan McAllister called up for Ireland and not Ryan Haire?
Is Phil Simmons oblivious to Ryan's form or did he get a message at Comber last Saturday that they play Waringstown this week and he's not available at any price?

Response

McAllister to keep wicket I think.
Ryan not bad behind the stumps, but not good either!

Roger Bell

Home

21st May 2008

Andy, I am extremely disappointed in your remarks which are an absolute disgrace and question my integrity.

Your facts are not even correct as I did not enforce this date on the clubs. They both wished to play it on that date as 1 June is Ulster Shield and 8 June is the Junior Inter pro and neither wanted a 2 nighter, especially Downpatrick who would have had a long way to travel to Muckamore during rush hour.

I have known you for a long time and have always got on well with you. I thought better of you and will give you time to reflect on your comments, and if you think it appropriate, offer me an apology on this forum.

andy kennedy

Muckamore

21st May 2008

Interesting comment from Roger - I trust that the re-arrangement at the insistence of the Section Secretary of the Muckamore/Downpatrick game happens to coincide with Carrick 2s playing Muckamore 2s - mmmmm - interesting!!

clarence hiles

Barbados

20th May 2008

Very innovative Staffy. I can just see Robin's reaction to playing Waringstown without three of their Ireland players and three points already in the bag with only one to play for! I know you like to think outside the box but this one would be better kept in the box with the lid closed.
PS
Well done Bumper on Craig Drummond.

Roger Bell

Home

20th May 2008

Re Andy

Tha Under 17 Inter Pro between NCU & NWCU which was scheduled to be played at Muckamore this Sunday is still on 25 May but the venue is now Wallace Park, Lisburn. This is to allow the rearrangement of the Muckamore v Downpatrick league match to take place at Moylena this Sunday.

The Junior Interpro (for players playing below Premier League) between NCU and North West still goes ahead at Muckamore on Sunday 8 June.

andy kennedy

Muckamore

20th May 2008

has anyone heard any reason why the U-17 inter-pro has been changed from 25th May to 8th June?

Rodney Hassard

Work.

20th May 2008

Billy

Thanks for clarifying that I thought it was a one off game. I agree with you that Muckamore must take the blame. The rules are there to be followed and should be followed. There is no excuse. If this was a one off mistake then I'd side with Muckamore however why has it happened twice? I know if i'd been to the trials all through the winter and someone cried off that i'd be unhappy knowing that someone just walked straight in. I know I said in an earlier post that he should be playing and I still think that however if the system is being neglected then should he play? After all he is a member of muckamore.

billy dale

BELFAST

20th May 2008

NCU u15,
Some confusion here!
1. The game on the 3rd of June is not a trial match!
2. It is the final part of a long process- 120 players at 4 regional centres-reduced to 40 at 2 centres- reduced to 20 at Queens.
3. This coaching took place during the winter Nov.-March.
4. All schools and clubs were requested to nominate young cricketers.

Re- Craig Drummond (Muckamore)the club did not nominate him back in November and so he was NOT included in the winter programme and was not included in my 22 players for this game.
The same thing happened with the same club re. jason van de Merwe and Supreet although they both played for NCU u15s.
I have a cry off and I am pleased to say that Craig can come along and play in the game.
BUT PLEASE SCHOOLS AND CLUBS GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER AND NOMINATE THE PLAYERS!!!!!!!

Paul Stafford

Lurgan

20th May 2008

Clarence

Regarding Ireland players. I don't think everyone else should miss out because players are away on International duty. After all the oppostion may have 3 or 4 out in the subsequent rearrangement. Let's just play all the matches as scheduled but award points to cover the discrepancy. For example Warinstown would get 3 extra league points, Instonians 1 and Cliftonville 1 as compensation for the equivalent missing players. Any thoughts?

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

20th May 2008

Gareth
The saying "the cream always comes to the top" probably still holds true with cricketers but with so much expert coaching, video analysis, fitness, body strengthening and diet programmes available the earlier the talented ones get into the system the better. From what I have heard about the coaching of Andy McCrea and Ryan Eagleson for example they can make a difference. This will even be more so with talented youngsters.
I have been advocating for a while now that at Muckamore we should have our own Academy even if it's only for the best half dozen. Then put them under the guidance of our best coach and encourage him to hire in the expertise of other coaches and advisors. Maybe if a coaching team was appointed by NICA to work at club based Academies through the season (and winter) we could expand the number of good players currently available. However I think that this has to come first and foremost from the individual clubs. Maybe it's only at Muckamore this isn't already happening and I would be keen to have others share what's happening or not happening at their club to develop the better youngsters to play Senior cricket.

Gareth McCarter

The Mall

19th May 2008

I always get the feeling that a lot of talented underage cricketers (and indeed it is probably true for most sports) miss out on representative teams because of the way trials work and how they are selected. Teams are usually as good as picked before the trial takes place with names the selectors already know, leaving trialists sparring for 3 or 4 spots perhaps regardless of performance on the day/afternoon/night. Hard to know.

clarence hiles

Barbados

19th May 2008

Andy, I'm getting to the age where I forget the after match performances as well!!
However, I do remember a few......
Glad to see you are still enjoying the fray. Has Ivan's diet worked as I was thinking of starting it?

andy kennedy

Muckamore

19th May 2008

Re Ivan - as you know the post-match festivities are just as important to me as winning. I don't have a great memory for match details - but I can recall some great nights - isn't that right Clarence?