Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

robin haire

comber

21st Jan 2009

is it true that during the first 9 games in the premier league the 20 over bash does not come into effect until match 3.an inst legend told me this was the case and as he was the person who proposed the change at the agm i have no reason to doubt him.

ivan mc combe

muckamore

20th Jan 2009

I don't know if it's because he threatened to buy me a drink at the North West dinner that I'm saying this but I think Staffy's posting about start times being sorted out now makes a lot of sense.

Paul Stafford

Waringstown

20th Jan 2009

Fair point re shorter matches.

Regarding the start times of Match 2, 20 over matches I disagree with you. The order of the Proposals to the AGM in itself creates anomolies. You could never ever be able to sort out those anomolies at the AGM because no-one knows what the clubs will pass and what they will reject. Therefore the whole point of Competitions Directorates is the ability to sort out the problems thrown up by the AGM.

If we waited until the following AGM to deal with it there would be a continual state of flux fixing things from previous years and creating contradictions with new proposals which is where we are now.

Every captain would welcome a more flexible approach. For example Rule 21 (b)making teams play a 20 over match at 12 noon start on a Sunday in July when 2pm would suffice is silly.

Also making a 20 over match in August which could be played over two nights start at 5pm is even sillier.

Adopting a more pragmatic approach on this matter rather than a dogmatic approach would go a long way to restoring some credibility, especially with beleagured captains and match secretaries. Doing nothing will store up massive problems once the season kicks off.

I genuinely don't think you need a mandate from the clubs to sort out these difficulties as the start times are there to deal with 50 over rearrangements which now of course do not apply. Better to let the captains sort out and agree start times and let League Secretaries sort it out if they cannot agree.

Roger Bell

Carrickfergus

20th Jan 2009

Re Staffy
What I was suggesting was that 3rd and 4th XI's are given the choice of entering a league that plays 40 over cricket or one that plays 20 over cricket. I agree that 40 overs is probably plenty for 2nd XI league cricket and leave the Junior Cup at 50 overs.

Interesting point about the new 20 over Match 2, makes good sense and needs to be looked at, but we won't be able to do anything for 2009, reckon it's an AGM job.

Paul Stafford

Waringstown

20th Jan 2009

Roger

Shortened versions of the game down the clubs is essential. A simple way of doing this would be to make Division 1 all sections 50 over cricket, Division 2 all sections 40 over cricket, and Division 3 all sections 20 over cricket.

PS

Please scrap all starting time restrictions on Match 2 games which are now 20 over matches.

Paul Robinson

Work

20th Jan 2009

Re Practice facilities

Chaps/ladies would anyone know of any practice facilities that Woodvale could use for pre-season nets. Unfortunately we have been let down by the school we used last year and after trying numerous leisure centres we are still 'drawing blanks' - Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ivan mc combe

Winter Fitness Training.( well thinking about it )

20th Jan 2009

Roger
As one of a dying breed playing on into my 50's I think your proposal is spot on.Thirty overs per side with tea at the end would see us finished by 6pm.The social scene has changed and certainly doesn't revolve around after match "bonding" any more.The postings are spot on about who are the "missing players ".Earlier finishes might just encourage more of them to turn out.I also think earlier starts should be encouraged if not neccessarily mandantory.

Davey

Home

20th Jan 2009

Other transfer rumours :

A. Haire - Carrick
C. Boultwood - Saintfield
B. Anderson - Carrick
G. McKee - Civil Service
P. Sterling - Instonians
P. McCrum - possibly retiring

Roger Bell

Carrickfergus

20th Jan 2009

I think Wayne is absolutely correct regarding the main reasons why 20-35 year olds are tending to drift out of our game nowadays. I had suggested at a recent Competitions/Development meeting that we might consider having a Saturday league or leagues available at the lower levels for teams who just want to play a shortened game of 20-25 overs. Similar to mid-week league but played at the weekend. Does anybody think there would be a demand for this to try to keep these people in the game /bring them back, especially in view of a number of 3rd and 4th XIs pulling out of leagues for 2009?

Wayne Horwood

Work

20th Jan 2009

In my view the problem with cricket now is not kids. There are a lot more kids playing cricket and that has been due to the success of Ireland and many pros going out to non-cricketing schools to promote cricket plus the hard work of the development officers over the years. It has been raised on numerous occassions on this forum the problem is adults tend not to play on in their late 20's/30s and beyond which has seen dwindling numbers in junior cricket. I have spoken to a lot of mates of mine who over the years have stopped playing. Main reason is the length of games in junior cricket. 20-30 over league matches and 50 overs for cup might get more adults playing albeit not for the traditionalist?

James

Belfast

19th Jan 2009

Andy
I think most clubs will confirm that they have many more kids taking part in youth cricket than at any time in the last 25 years.
This, however, has not led to more adult cricketers (slightly less in fact), but that is probably down to a number of social reasons, few if any of which I'm sure can be blamed on paid players, either local or overseas.
But I think the 'pros' have probably helped bring through some really good ones...

andy kennedy

Buckna

19th Jan 2009

re Wayne Horwood - I have no problem with the paid players and I am aware of the contribution that they have made to the game at several levels. My point- and I have made it on many occasions- is that we have seen a reduction in the numbers of sides being fielded year on year in the NCU - and yet we heard, each year at the NCU ASGMs during the debates on the usual Waringstown proposal re pros, that clubs were hiring first rate coaches and the number of kids being brought into cricket, etc. when the reality was very different - and I'm talking about 25+ years. Think of the amount of time that would have been saved at the AGMs if people had "let the cat out of the bag" sooner! Maybe I'm still "bitter" after all these years that Sunny Singh didn't win the Senior Cup for Ballymena against North Down all those yoears ago!! You see I am really old!!

Wayne Horwood

Belfast

19th Jan 2009

Re Andy Kennedy. I take it from your email you are not a supporter of professionals or paid players in any form? I think Clarences article sums up the position well and worth a read. On another note each person has their own views on pros etc. I think the impact of professionals and "non-locals" has had a phenomenal impact on the local game. Where would Irish cricket be now without their impact? Would we have reached a world cup? Would we have as many players in county cricket etc? All I can comment on is what I have witnessed in my own club. The impact Ewen had in the last 3 years has been phenomenal and hopefully the youth system in CSN will be a testament to his work and our investment in that period. Similarly Nigel and Regan have brought a professionalism and will to win that has encouraged others to train harder, improve their game and not be carried. What do we benefit from it? The club is stronger, the team spirit better and hopefully we have solid foundations for the future generations. In the same vein CI have worked ever so hard since the days of Section 3. Great bunch of loyal lads and it is fantastic to see them want to progress and improve. Good luck to them.

andy kennedy

buckna

17th Jan 2009

so the cat is finally out of the bag!! The postings about CI's finances and Carrick canvassing for a wicket-keeper - makes one wonder about all that money spent over the past 20+ years on professional coaches!!
Clearly the prize is the holy grail of the Section 1 title. And of course it's not just the enormous prize money - it's all the other benefits that flow from being NCU champions such as players in the international "shop window", automatic entry into Europe, etc., etc.!
Of course it has nothing to do with the Abromavitch syndrome of massging the egos of a few guys with a few bob!! of course it's not!!

jeff

dundrum

17th Jan 2009

couple of topical tips . eway STUMPED & THE WICKETKEEPER.my eway yankee is cathredral rock, rodrigo gonzales.issaquah.in step. nap is dee ee williams