Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

ARH

Sunny Co Down!!

14th Jan 2009

There has been alot talk recently of the issues relating to club grounds in the NCU not being up to standard.

Personally I think it is very hard to blame clubs, without regard for some of the issues which they are confronted with e.g very bad weather over the last 2 summers, thousands of pounds required to make appropriate changes (which majority of clubs do not have), lack of knowledge regarding the preparation and maintenance of grounds, as well as the lack of management from above on this particular issue.

Equally I feel that those who are in a privileged position of having a good ground to play at should understand that for the vast majority of the clubs in the NCU (inc. Section 1) are not, and that there are many other reasons than they are too busy paying players!

Roger Bell

Carrickfergus

14th Jan 2009

Re : Sam Jennings

I can assure you that Ryan is loyal to his club and will be around for a few years yet. He will again be captaining Carrick in 2009 and has no intention of joining CI or anyone else. Carrick will certainly miss Barry Cooper at the top of the order, but he was having injury problems and probably coming towards the end of his career anyway, so you can't really begrudge him taking CI's money at this stage. As Wayne Horwood says in his posting, this will be a great opportunity for young Irish Universities opener Michael Gilmour who impressed so much when he got a chance at the top of the order, with a number of excellent innings, including a fifty at The Lawn, when Coops was absent following his wrist operation in the latter part of the 2008 season. I can also assure you that Carrick will be no pushovers and will be strengthening our side for 2009.

PS: With Coops departure there is an opportunity for a keeper at Carrick, if anybody out there is interested in having a go in the Premier League, please get in touch with either Eagy or myself in strictest confidence

Gary Smyth

Work

14th Jan 2009

Re: Gary (or was that a typing error & you are "Stevo"??)

I assume you meant to type in Stevo, and if so you would make a great politican!! You only answered one of my three questions!!

So what grounds do you think are awful? And what club did you play most of your cricket for?

sam jennings

work

14th Jan 2009

ciyms could prove to be the surprise team for 2009 with all these new signings.Heard that Neil Gelston has also joined.Barry Cooper is still a top player and will get 600 runs at the top of the order.Also heard his old Carrick pal Ryan Eagleson might join him?

Any other transfer news out there

Gary

Down

14th Jan 2009

Re Gary.

I am also an ex player yet have played on all the section 1 grounds and indeed section 2 grounds. There is a VAST difference in playing surface standard something which is much more important than another name for a few grand to keep a team "up".

Wayne Horwood

Work

13th Jan 2009

Coops is a great signing for CI and what a servant he has been for Carrick over the years. Change brings opportunity though and watch out for young gilmour getting a lot of runs in the premier league in 2009. Great eye for the ball and keeps the scoreboard ticking over at a good rate.

Stephen Hughes

Work for once

13th Jan 2009

Andy, we are just working through the finer points of the contract with him, appears his grandfather had a pint of Guinness in Dublin a few years back, so he qualifies for Ireland too!!! Him and Johnny Hewitt opening the batting would be interesting!!!

Gary Smyth

Work

13th Jan 2009

Re: Stevo

Stevo, what club are you affiliated with?
Do you still play yourself?
If you do, as an ex player, I am interested to hear what grounds you think are awful?

The word on the grapevine is that the Inland Revenue will be knocking on the door of all sporting clubs, including cricket, who "employ" or in many cases, don't employ those players/coaches who receive money for playing that sport, outside of any expenses they may receive for travelling to games or training. A lot of clubs may have even less than 30p once the Inland Revenue have "paid" them a visit...

andy kennedy

Buckna

13th Jan 2009

re Stevo - "the league should step in" -isn't that role of the grounds inspection committee or director of grounds or whatever the fancy title is? See my earlier postings about the umpire's ground report. Can't see the NCU forcing clubs to spend money on grounds as there are sanctions available through the ground "grading" system but the general view on this has been well aired in the past!
P.S. I see that Hayden has retired from representative cricket - has Come In Your Ma's Shoutin' made a bid yet?!!

taito

work

13th Jan 2009

Martin, no i havent signed for CI, i dont think their thirds need a player. But might improve the bar takings i suppose.

No i played for CI a few seasons ago

Stevo

Down

12th Jan 2009

Taito.

Yeah some of the grounds are awful here and they seem to correlate with clubs prepared to pay for survival. The league should step in and make them invest in infastructure like the ECB would.

martin smith

work

12th Jan 2009

Taito;
So have you signed for C.I then?
Also heard that barry cooper has left carrickfergus for CI, thats no longer a rumour though i think thats all done and dusted after missing out on james hall.

taito

work

12th Jan 2009

Peter, you are backing up what i said, thanks, yes i was happy to take money from CI which supports what i said who cares who pays who what these days. Cheers mate.

Stevo, yeah i take the point about developing grounds, having good facilities and wickets should be a priority for clubs also, and bringing on home grown talent.

I think although that a lot of the guys who do get paid do a lot of work to develop the playing standards of the club, and help with coaching etc.

This topic will always have those who support people getting paid and those who dont. Both sides have good arguments i just think it should be up to the clubs as to what they do with their money.

Stevo

Down

11th Jan 2009

Taito..

The issue surrounds "development". Are clubs really spending as you say to develop themselves or is this money wasted?
Should clubs not for example be investing in QUALITY wickets to encourage home grown talent to develop instead of forking out 5 figure sums to all and sundry ?

Peter Cairns

Portadown

11th Jan 2009

Taito as I recall you were only too happy to take money off CI