Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Dan Marks

work

4th Feb 2009

Stevo, you should be banned from posting on this forum! I reckon your surname is Henson, and your Dad is Jim, the creator of the muppets!!!

Judith Hewitt

Bangor

3rd Feb 2009

Re. Stevo

No, the CI scorer (me) is not paid, unless you count a few bottles of smirnoff ice as payment. I came to CI to score for the same reasons as I scored at Bangor and at the Dee before that.

Your relentless anti CI campaign smacks of McCarthyism. Chill out.

Gareth McCarter

On the breadline

3rd Feb 2009

Re Stevo

I don't like to see a personal grudge against any club especially when it seems to be borne out of jealousy because of their resources whether it is their grounds or their money. I think if any club in the NCU had money like CIYMS are reportedly blessed with then they would use it to i. Improve their clubhouse ii. Improve their pitch iii. Improve their coaching/pro and iv. Improve their team. It isn't unfair to say that by on large CIYMS have tried to do the first two first and then work from there.

Not that their methods are accountable to anyone than their own members mind you, they have jumpedfrom Section 3 to the Premier League so they are doing something right!

Wayne Horwood

Lords AKA Belmont!

3rd Feb 2009

North Down are undoubtedly favourites Robin and rightly so with the track record and experience of the team even with a few changes this year. The league may be more competitive though with the various moves and I think that can only be good for all concerned. Let's hope NCU clubs as a whole are a hell of a lot more competitive in the All Ireland as it would be great to see any club in the union lift the trophy.

Gary Smyth

Unemployed if I continue to reply to Stevo...

3rd Feb 2009

Re : Stevo

Who do you class as journeymen then?

Going by Michael Hingston's previous posting and others, CI have 70+ kids attending Kwik Cricket coaching, U11, U13 and U15 teams. Due to the success of their recent youth policy, the have now entered a 4th XI this year to continue these youngsters development, as well as a midweek team, which was introduced again only last year. So they have 5 "senior" teams and 3 "youth" teams plus 70 odd Kwik Cricketers, not bad for not having a "no youth" policy.
CI club have also being playing on a relaid square since 2005, which would cost in access of £10k, plus they been sandgroving and sand slitting parts of their outfield to help with the drainage, which would cost in access of £20k, as this be an ongoing process, not just a one off. So my guess £30k plus has been spent on their playing surfaces and area over the last number of years and this will continue to rise.
The square seems to play alright, as in four seasons at least ten centuries have been scored, 4 last season, Strydom 114*, Aphale 133, Hewitt 111 and McCallan 100*, with a few 90's and 80's too, not bad when most of their home fixtures where at the tail end of the summer due to the rain etc!
I still stand by previous posting about your comments Stevo, worthless, as well as non constructive too.

Cheech

Millionaires Playground/ Belmont

3rd Feb 2009

Stevo you are boring me and im sure others with your endless moaning and assumptions about Ci. Ever thought of appearing on 'Loose Women'? Cause buddy you are starting to sound like them - full of hot air and pointless.....

Stevo

Down

3rd Feb 2009

Gary..
the concensus of the forum speaks volumes ! Funny how the experienced heads back good wickets and youth development against reckless spending on journeymen.

Gary Smyth

work

3rd Feb 2009

I would have to agree with Robin, can't see past North Down for the title.

Connell I am sure will play at times, even if he is in England and away with Ireland, and with Dazler, Russeller and J.T. "joining" so far, along with a quality Aussie pro possibly and whoever may rock up at their nets; they probably have even more in the tank than last year even with Robin and Ralph retiring.

Paul Doherty

Ballynahinch

3rd Feb 2009

Fair play to CIYMS - they have worked hard and can spend their money on what ever they wish. I would agree that their facilities are top class but their cricketing surfaces (both the square and outfield) wouldnt have a patch on any other Premier League outfit. Perhaps even a fair few in the second and third tiers - ie Downpatrick, Derriaghy, Muckamore, Saintfield, New Forge to name but a few. I'm sure it's difficult with the rugby pitch but surely some of that cash could be chanelled into improving the playing surfaces?

Paul

work

3rd Feb 2009

If this ci squad lives up to the rumours can anyone eliminate them from the title race??? I can see them being stronger than csni this year and with north down losing connell who knows?

andy kennedy

on the snow plough

3rd Feb 2009

just a quick note to congratulate Dundrum on an excellent website

robin haire

ardmore academy

3rd Feb 2009

wayne - predictions

north down to win the league for the 9th time in the last 11 years

Gary Smyth

work

3rd Feb 2009

Stevo, I have no affiliation with CI myself, so can't comment on their scorer...but such comments by yourself, prove again my point about your opinions, totally worthless.
One, you can't even say who you are, secondly you have a bee in your bonnet about any club who show any signs of being forward thinking such as CI & CSNI.
Why do you care anyway? Sure you have no affiliation to any of the clubs you played for?! Did you get paid then as you weren't loyal to one club?!?

Stevo

Down

2nd Feb 2009

Re Gary..

I have played at few clubs but with no real affiliation to one or the other. Suffice to say I have played good Cricket and am amazed at whats happening at CI in the current economic climate...is the scorer on a pound per run also ?

James

Belfast

2nd Feb 2009

Re CI Alickadoo & Michael Baird
Payment/Signing
I think 99.9% of the local cricket fraternity will find it hard to believe that any of Cooper, Gelston, Heasley or Hewitt are not paid anything, either by the club or someone else, for playing, coaching or ‘expenses’!
Facilities
Of course CIYMS have a fantastic new clubhouse but ‘second to none facilities’. As a cricket venue, I certainly think Waringstown, CSNI and North Down (maybe even Bangor’s pitches, Downpatrick also) might have something to say about that. And before anyone mentions electronic scoreboard, so what? I don’t know where the fascination with these things lies? Not a lot of clubs should be spending 5-10k on this luxury ahead of their playing pitches…
Re Wayne
Couldn’t be more right about this summer, and of course the IPL in the spring will be good viewing also.