Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

tim hamilton

work

5th Feb 2009

I think the people that have a gripe about ciyms would probably just prefer someone from CI coming out and telling the truth rather than hiding behind all these inuendo's such as we have so many young kids attending our kwick cricket bla bla bla!! We all KNOW that they are getting paid substantial amounts, not that i have anything against it im just telling the truth! If im correct in saying the so called CI youth development scheme managed to produce players for downpatrick?? One certain Ross Boultwood opened the bowling in the challenge cup semi-final against waringstown, a few weeks later he opened the bowling for downpatrick in the colts cup final against the same opposition or otherwise known as the Lee Nelson demolition match were he hit 190! as CIYMS didnt even have an u17 side!! So all this nonsense really doesnt wash with everybody, just tell the truth, your entitled to do whatever you like its your money??

Secret Millionaire

Monaco

5th Feb 2009

It seems to me that CIYMS are getting a fair bit of air time. The way I see it is, that if they have worked hard for the money with events or if they have been lucky to have a good backer then thats their luck.
Question is whats right?
A club that works hard to produce young talent and bring them through from under age to senior level as a team will enjoy the success more than a club that pays players to play for them. The success is the same - but surely its enjoyed more at the club that produces a "Team" rather than that of 11 players who have just been together for a few seasons?
I remember playing for a club that paid a few players and we even had names such as "Alan Lamb" and "Derick Pringle" turn out - the club is now a shell of its former self as the money ran out.
However good luck to the 'money' clubs, best enjoy it now as it will take years to build a quality team from scratch.

Michael McDowell

work

5th Feb 2009

Roger Bell

Roger we urgently need a new bye law
That clubs must send audited accounts
with there registration forms for the new season.
hopefully that would put an end once and for all talk of buying the League

we need to be discussing much more important issues than money !

some have already touched on how we keep
adults playing, far to many are giving up the game, how do we stop this ?
stevo and recently retired will you be playing this season ?

how many clubs are sending players to umpire courses ? , last season was a poor responce

lets have people on with ideas and stop
all this negative talk

michael mcdowell ncu section sec

clarence hiles

Editor's desk

5th Feb 2009

Some great postings in recent weeks so many thanks to all the correspondents. However, can I make one plea and that is for more people to identify themselves as it adds a lot more credibility to their comments. We understand the need for confidentiality in some instances, and we also censor some postings that are totally inappropriate, but there's a lot more interest in a posting that clearly identifies the sender rather than someone taking a cheap pot shot under the cloak of anonymity. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and that's the value of an open forum, but it is only a level playing field when you identify yourself.

Roger Bell

Carrickfergus

5th Feb 2009

Re: Artificial wickets

Just to clarify Robin's point, under the new bye-law no agreement is necessary for artificial pitches to be used in these circumstances, it will be up to the home club or umpires if appointed to decide. Players are therefore asked to have appropriate footwear for both artificial and grass, as a decision on where to play could be made at short notice, the 48 hours notice no longer applies.

Judith Hewitt

Bangor

5th Feb 2009

Hey Vic - yes it was me, and I'm still using the coloured pens - I think it helps read the story of the game better as you can see which batsman cuffed which bowler, or which bowler the batsman couldn't get away. (I think I should buy shares in staedtler...!)

I've decided to get away from all this bitching, so I'm having a night out with the girls....

robin haire

ardmore sceptic

5th Feb 2009

guys

does anyone know what the word "may" means in the new bye law on playing on artificial surfaces. does it mean that both sides have to agree to play on astro and if one side declines the offer then the game is not played?

Michael Foster

Snowy Lisburn

5th Feb 2009

Interesting debate around CIYMS. However, perhaps time to wrap it up, or Jeremy Kyle will be on the blower looking for Stevo and CI Clubman to come on the show to hear the results of the lie detector test taken by all members of the CI management committee on how much and who they have paid to play at Belmont.

Good luck to CI next season; if their acquisitions are as suggested on this forum, they will doubtlessly improve on last season's efforts.

Vic Jons

At the house.

4th Feb 2009

Predictions-N.C.U.
Can't say much about sections,1,2 and 3,but as for 4.I reckon our wee club will be challenging for poll position if our 'Pro' fast bowler Gerald J.can keep it going for another season!
However the PSNI must be going to give it a real blast as I see there on the look out for a Player/coach to assist them at Newfordge. And fair play to them at least they advertised openly and are offering a good contract to the right individual,my application is in the post but I reckon I'll not get shortlisted!!
Judith, is that yourself who was the scorer for Donaghadee C.C.a few seasons ago and who uses all the multi-coloured pens? Wondered where you'd gone,how are you. Remember the game in the Park when Terry got off the mark after 38 overs and then was out in the 39nt. Well things have'nt changed a bit.
Cheers Vic. Victoria C.C.

CI Stalwart

Waiting for merseyside penalties

4th Feb 2009

Re CIYMS Clubman

As one of the 2nd XI stalwart mentioned in previous post I would like to say that I am more than happy to play 3rd or 4th XI cricket if the club is doing well am the youth policy continues to grow. You seem to forget the struggle we had as a club to field 3 teams only 3 seasons ago let alone 4 senior teams and junior teams.

The fact remains we may have recruited some of the 1sts but we have managed to recruit at least 10 players to lower teams which together with the youth has strengthened the club and stands us in good stead for the years ahead

I think it is a sad state of affairs that you had to air your views on this forum. Instead you should be helping the likes of Kirsty and the rest of the hard working committee.

Judith Hewitt

Bangor

4th Feb 2009

Re "recently retired"

You are quite right, everyone IS entitled to their opinion, which is why I chose to share mine.

By the way, given that you chose to hide behind a nom de plume when you posted, which one of us is really paranoid.....??

Graeme

South Antrim

4th Feb 2009

Ok chaps enough is enough, surely to goodness there is something for entertaining to debate than the comings and goings of one of our 40ish clubs. Don't know about anyone else but I play this game firstly because of the guys that I play with and secondly because its damn good fun. That wouldn't change whether i was playing in a cup final (intermediate or minor in my case) or some third or fourth eleven on the cabbage patch at pirrie park. I'm not sure how much I would enjoy it if I spent half my time worrying about who the oppo were, how much they were being paid, whether they were recent or long standing members etc.
Some days I'll bowl my ten overs for 70 sometimes it'll be a 4 or 5 for. There'll also be times when I'll score 43no batting 10 at strangford road. At the end of the day the beer still tastes the same, the jokes are just as filthy and there's always next week (weather permitting).
I reckon if a few of us didn't take ourselves and the game we love so seriously we all might just move forward.

Kirstie henry, CI

bewildered in belfast

4th Feb 2009

RE: CIYMS Clubman & general

to CI Clubman, not sure who you are as you have not identified yourself. Firstly i would like to say that you are more than entitled to your opinions and fears about the club moving forward. I do however find it very disappointing in light of a lot of the garbage that is being leveled at CI on this forum that you have to state such opinions on an open forum. surely if you have these thoughts and concerns you can pick up the phone or go for a coffee/beer with any of us on the committee and talk these through? your opinion is valued, very valued. i cant help but think that if you spoke to anyone on the committee and got the right way of things and not what is aired on this forum/ in the CI bar you may feel a little differently, or maybe not, but at least your opinion can be taken on board as everyones opinion is. we have not changed on that front, we are still a tight band of people who are very proud of our wee club, the same way it was when I started watching 22 years ago!! we have all worked hard to gain success both those on the field and those behind the scenes and I find it disappointing that it has led to a 'Clubman' venting these fears on a open forum before speaking these opinions and seeking a voice within the club.. whoever you are, i am sure you know my number or can get it, feel free to pick the phone up anytime! lets be productive not destructive ..

CIYMS Clubman

belfast

4th Feb 2009

I feel compelled to make my first post on the forum following the recent debate surrounding my club. Perhaps I can start by making it clear that not everyone at CI agrees with the current policy of attempting to buy success. I say this for a number of reasons, firstly I believe that we are in danger of abandoning some of those players who made major contributions to our journey from Section 3 to the premier league. The knock on effect throughout the club will mean them dropping to the seconds and some of the guys who have been stalwarts in the 2s having to ply their trade in section 3/4 next season. hardly something to look forward to. The truth of the matter is that paid players have made major contributions on the field but nobody I have spoken to can remember much coaching and minimal attendance at nets. Secondly it will be some years before the current youth policy pays dividends and anyone around the club knows that perhaps only 2 to three of the youngsters look like making the grade. In fact given the current policy they may not hang around as I have been told that the two young players we did introduce to the firsts last year are now leaving as the opportunities available to them this year are almost nil. Finally let’s not forget the leaking covers and absence of the grounds man, surely that was an agreed priority from last year. In summary we have developed a siege mentality over the last few years which has not encouraged a healthy debate, comments by contributors such as recently retired cricketer are painful but as the saying goes sometimes the truth hurts. One day the money will run out, sponsors don't last forever and as we all know we are only one of the sporting associations that share Belmont and the revenue that it produces.

recently retired

Belfast

4th Feb 2009

Re: Stevo
would just like to say, that like everyone else on this forum you are entitled to your opinion, and credit to you for sticking to it.
Furthermore, Vociferous reposts from CI will do little to hasten any form of respect from other clubs.

It is of course CI's right to have a blatant club policy to try and "buy" the league, just don't be surprized when people equally follow there right to be very scathing of them for it.

No doubt they will always have their sycophantic followers, but respect must be earned, not bought.

A good starting point is usually fielding a team of your genuine club men on a Saturday, then going through the leagues...
Otherwise you've got to take any flak going I'm afraid...

Also, hillarious judith to suggest that McCarthyism has crept into the minds of NI cricketers, how paranoid CI have become, just like the USA...!