Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

andy kennedy

sunny buckna

10th Sep 2011

Calub remember the umpire is always right - just back from a function in Belfast City Hall and I met a guy who used to work in the Ramada at Shaw's Bridge and he was expressing his hope that all the trophy winners take the cups home at the end of the night of the NCU dinner.

C.Boomer

Self-praise is no reccomendation !

10th Sep 2011

Watching the current One Day series between England v India, isn't it very refreshing to watch the 3rd umpire review system (purely there for the entertainment of the T.V.viewers ofcourse) and note on how many occasions the on-field umpires get the original L.B.W. decisions correct !

Impressive to say the least and as it's there for their assistance on-field, the umpires use it for the close call run out decisions as well, but as I've said before they could do without it and still get 99% of their decisions correct !

Hope they never bring it over here !!

Marc Ellison

The Office

9th Sep 2011

I'm sure all you blokes know enough about Andrew White as it is but if you're interested I have written an article on his amazing efforts for Ireland in the Intercontinental Cup. He also answers questions on his time at Northants during 2004-06 as well as the success of Instonians this year.

http://www.crichq.com/media/article/292/whites-simple-game-plan-prevails

Enjoy the read!

Wylie McKinty

Work

7th Sep 2011

re: Billy
It would appear that the majority of NCU folk do not agree with you.
In a normal year the attendance at the NCU dinner has fallen to around 150-160 (at £25 per ticket).
For the NCU’s 125th Anniversary Dinner in Belfast City Hall (at £40 per ticket) I am told that already over 300 of the 400 tickets have been sold.
Also for those still wavering about buying a ticket the cost of drinks will be at "sports club" prices and not "hotel" ones I am informed!!

Billy

NCU Dinner

7th Sep 2011

Is it just me or is anyone else put off by the ludicrous £40 for the NCU dinner ?

Also "a table of 10" is £400 - what's that all about, is that an incentive ?

Response

Drinks Reception, Food, Guest Speaker, Entertainment, it all adds up!

Wylie McKinty

Work

6th Sep 2011

re Neal
As Bryan has explained there are separate regulations to deal with promotion/relegation and to decide league section winners.
Once again I will say that this appears to be what clubs want as no club has put a proposal up in the last few years to change this.
Run rate is used in the Senior Leagues to decide promotion/relegation only.
In Junior Leagues the previous season’s placings are used to decide promotion and relegation only.
As it appears you do not have access to an NCU Fixture Book that contains all the NCU’s regulations then you should nip over to the NCU website and click on the Regulations link as this has them for you to look at.

Bryan Milford

NCU

6th Sep 2011

Apologies - FI6 is the relevant rule.

F21 deals with Promotion and Relegation following a Tie.

The Union does not make the rules - clubs do at the AGM.

Neal

Work

6th Sep 2011

Re Bryan's reply.

That is a ridiculous rule to have and one that makes a mockery of all the titles that can be won within the NCU. We all play to win but it seems that really we are all playing to share a title or maybe even win it.

So if the rule states that the title should be shared explain how if the league structures had stayed the same with 2 up/2 down the two promoted clubs would have been decided??

Rules can't be broken so would there had to have been a third team relegated or would it have actually worked on Net Run Rate as it did to decide who was relegated between Dundrum and Saintfield a few seasons ago.

If the Net Run Rate was used to get the two promoted clubs would that decide the overall winners as well or would it just be discounted????

Looks like the rules as usual are as clear as mud!!!!

Bryan Milford

NCU

5th Sep 2011

NCU Competition Rule F17 states that when there is a tie at the top of a Section, the clubs shall share the trophy.

Clubs are free to bring forward proposals to the AGM to change the rule.

andy kennedy

dreich Buckna

5th Sep 2011

to roll back a bit to my earlier posting about 2up/down - I was under the impression that there would be at least one section of 10 teams so it was in this scenario that my comments were made. Interesting comments by Alalstair Bushe in today's Newsletter regarding CI. The sides that have been "allegedly" big spenders have found themselves consistently in the lower regions of the Premier league so it will be interesting to see what happens in 2012 when there will be no "minnows" coming up. I had the pleasure of being at Belmont on Saturday and North Down were indeed awesome. Despite hearing wee whispers of "moves" I can't see anyone realistically challenging the "big two" next season.

Brendan

Glengormley

5th Sep 2011

Good point Neal as I was thinking the same. You can't say you won the league if two other teams are saying the same. I don't have the rules but maybe someone who knows could let us know if the rules allow for a play-off. There is plenty of time in September. Draw for a final play-off place and then the other two teams could play for the other place. Then a grand play-off final to determine the winners.

Neal

In work and confused

5th Sep 2011

Congratulations to Academy, Laurelvale and Templepatrick on securing a share of the Section 2 Championship Trophy.

Now the confusing part.....

How can there not be an outright winner?

Im guessing that because there is no promotion out of section 2 this year due to the restucturing of the leagues it doesnt really matter????

If there had of been promotion then im sure there would have been something done to work it out and that probably would have been Net Run Rate so why could that not have been used in this instance.

This is nothing against any of the clubs involved because their records over the season are the same but surely there needs to be ONE league winner????

andy kennedy

Buckna

5th Sep 2011

great to see Ross Boultwood at Belmont on Saturday despite his accident on Friday night. I realise that he was a bit "sore"(!) but I hope his recovery continues.

taito

work

5th Sep 2011

I would just like to pass on my congratulations to waringstown on a fabulous achievment. Im sure there are a few sore heads down in the village today but well deserved and you boys proved doubters wrong that you could still do it without obus. Congrats and hopefully this will kick start NCU sides performing well in the Irish Cup over the next few years

neil hunter

Belfast

2nd Sep 2011

Just a quick note to congratulate Andy McCrea on his latest award as European Outstanding Coach of the year.

This is a huge award for Andy and his club Templepatrick

People like Andy inspire others and in terms of the NCU as a whole, all cricketers and supporters should really appreciate the contribution Andy makes.

Well done Andy