Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Simon Corlett

watching rugby on the telly

17th Sep 2011

Take that hat off, Neil. Today is one of the few this year when it would have been nice to sit in the sun watching a game of cricket !

neil hunter

A very wet Belfast

16th Sep 2011

Regarding playing fixtures in September

First of all with my groundsman hat on:

Its quite simple, the earlier you put your square to bed the better. In doing the work in early Septemebr it means there is still heat in the ground and it means seed germinates earlier thus resulting in a much better sward of grass which means at the beginning of the next season, your square is in great order

With my own thoughts about playing in September:

With schools starting back and insisting their pupils are available for rugby, generally in the second week in September and with the football season starting in early to mid August I think it is imperative that the cricket season ends at the latest on the first (and as a last resort the second weekend)in September

For those people who think its ok to play to the last weekend in Septemeber
its time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Whether we like it or not, cricket is a minority sport and I think if all players knew that the season ended on
the first weekend in September, then it would mean that most players (youth and adult) could play a full season

Tony Adams ciyms 2nds capt

Ciyms

16th Sep 2011

Re -unfulfilled fixtures

For the record, the only reason I had to cancel our ballymena away match was that the only day available was midweek ( no Saturday's free and ballymena don't play Sunday's ) and start time 4.30pm. Meant leaving Belfast very early and with schools back we simply couldn't put a team
together. First time we have conceded a match in years. The purists need to be realistic and realise that there Is no point in bringing eleven 12 year olds somewhere to get stuffed. That does more damage than good. Sometimes the best option for all is to concede.

Jonathan Lyttle

NIACUS

13th Sep 2011

The 2011 White Stick Trophy between NIACUS and Leinster Umpires will take place on Saturday 17th September 2011 at Saintfield Cricket Club. Play due to commence at 1.30pm. A warm welcome to all those who are baffled each week by the decisions made by our local umpires and you can have laugh at what they can do with a bat or ball. The match will also be umpired by our local cricket sage Ian Callender so you will be entertained! I would appeal for a huge turnout from players and supporters of our local game for Noel McCarey as he has been an excellent Chairman for our Association and has brought us forward with his hard work and ideas.

Stuart Hughes

Dundee

13th Sep 2011

Clearly the only way 3rd and 4th team cricket becomes beneficial for youngsters is if they are playing with experienced players who have played at a very high level. Playing at that level it is clear that the teams that succeed the most generally do have these older hands dropping down.

In terms of fixtures not being fulfilled it is my view that at the higher levels the season is over when you fulfil all your fixtures not when you realise there is no hope of promotion or of avoiding relegation etc. Looking at Junior League One it appears two matches have been scrubbed because both Waringstown and CIYMS couldn't field teams. Funnily enough neither team had anything to play for. Just fulfil the fixtures as clubs of that size are quite clearly able to do.

matthew

work

13th Sep 2011

well said ivan some first eleven players think they are too good to play at a lower level so called egos and the older ones have seen plenty of them standing about when they could have helped out the lower teams they have no interest and now with some games still to be played getting a no to every call or text some help would be nice

ivan mccombe

Getting ready to play again in 2012.Aged 54.

12th Sep 2011

Unfulfilled fixtures.One of the main problems clubs face is getting experienced players to give leadership, discipline and transport for teams outside the 1sts and 2nds.
At Muckamore we have never had that problem and have fielded 4 sides for the past 10 years without failing to fulfil a scheduled game.
Should the NCU start a campaign aimed at ex Senior players called "Give something back" ? It is annoying to see guys quit playing 1st XI cricket and never be seen again. Do they forget that some experienced players gave them the time when they were young to help develop them into being Senior players.
Hence "Give something back". Some clubs have some real stalwarts like Billy Adams, Don Shields at North Down, Leslie Irwin and Alan Rutherford at Woodvale, Michael Shannon and Peter Maxwell at Holywood , Chris Harte at Bangor, Alan Waite, Garfield Harrison and Geffory Heyburn at Waringstown and I'm sure there are others but every club needs half a dozen of these guys to play 3rds and 4ths cricket.
They can make a bigger contribution to their club than standing around watching the 1sts. And with 30 and 35 overs now at that level they can still catch the last hour of the 1sts game.
I think those over 40's playing regularily should get together and see if they can convince others they have played with or against to get the whites out again. Even if they only play 6 or 7 games on a rota basis they will help develop the many youngsters now being put through coaching programmes but who are deprived of competitive Saturday cricket because the club or maybe the opponents don't have enough adults to fulfil the fixture.
Our game should be growing but every unfulfiled fixture is another nail in the coffin. Not only do you deprive your own club members of a game but 11 guys on the other side miss out as well.

JT

Lurgan

12th Sep 2011

I would just like to congratulate Donaghcloney on their league victory in JL9, it was a competitive league this year allowing for good close and exciting games throughout the season. The restructuring of the leagues has definitely aided this and i would like to thank all the clubs in Junior League 9 for the games in which ourselves at Victoria enjoyed this year, was a great season and i look forward to seeing all of you guys again next season.

Gareth Dempster

bored in work

12th Sep 2011

Junior League 1

Just wanted to say a massive thank you to all the clubs, captains, match secretaries, ground staff and tea ladies from all the clubs in Junior League one that accommodated Woodvale 2nds season. It hasn’t been the easiest of seasons with having no ground but it has been made a whole lot easier with every club in the section being extremely helpful and accommodating. Very much appreciated by myself and everyone at Woodvale.

Thanks

Gareth

Roy Young

At Newtownards

12th Sep 2011

As the end of the season come near, I see all the leagues have champions - bar 2.
Junior League 6 see Inst 3rds ready to be crowned champions if they beat North Down 4's.

JL7 see Holywood 3s top but should be joined by Ballymena 4ths. As it seems Lurgan have given up the season and will concede Vs Ballymena again - giving them a 4th victory due to teams unable to field a team.

Well done to the teams that have won their leagues this season! I hope they have an enjoyable night at the celebration dinner!
There are still a lot of fixtures to be played, but no dates?

ivan mccombe

in training for April 2012.

12th Sep 2011

James Taylor.

I too thought it was a sad reflection on Waringstown and cricket in general that they couldn't field a 2nds.They and North Down are the two clubs that I think everyone else should take the lead from.
I think clubs should take their duty to fulfil fixtures very very seriously. When you fail to fulfil a game you deprive 11 individuals from the oppostion of a game of cricket so it's not only your own club that suffers.It's the sport.
How many times does that need to happen until people find alternative sports to play ?
Every game can't be a promotion or relegation game and dead rubbers are inevitable. That's not a good enough reason to scrub a game.
Maybe we need to see some serious financial penalties introduced or failing that maybe a 12 point penalty or whatever it takes to make captains think twice. ( maybe we could deduct points from the 1sts for unfulfilled fixtures by teams down the club )
I know at Muckamore we pride ourselves in fielding four teams and maybe a fifths soon and I think we have gone 10 seasons without having to forfeit a fixture. I think a lot of clubs focus on the youth when maybe a bit of focus needs to be on the not so young. These are the guys that provide the leadership, the discipline and the transport. I watched our 2nds at Saintfield yesterday with four guys over 40 playing for us and they each had the enthusiasm of a teenager.Our younger players can only learn from that.
If you want to contribute to your club trust me you can do more playing in the 3rds or 4ths than you can walking around the boundary watching the 1sts. I have just finished a season of spectating but intend playing a full season in 2012 for our 4ths to help bring on more young players.
I would appeal to every Ex senior player to think seriously about getting fit enough to play again down the club.Even you do so on a rota basis with half a dozen of your contemparies. I know from my own experience it's a great feeling to see a young player score a 50 or take wickets in the firsts knowing that you played some part in his development. I contend the best coaching is a combination of technical and being out in the middle with them. And at 30 or 35 overs now you can still catch the last hour of the 1sts game and be home at a reasonable hour.
Our sport should be growing with more clubs and more teams. I see an unfulfilled fixture as a nail in the coffin for the sport I love.
Lets make 2012 the year of " Shame on You" for not fulfilling a fixture. We owe it to our sport.

James Taylor

Lisburn

11th Sep 2011

Just a week after the 1st XI lifting the Irish Cup Waringstown concede a saturday 2nd XI fixture.

Bizarre from one of the strongest clubs in the country...

Wylie McKinty

On my sofa with the remote

11th Sep 2011

re Andy
I take it you mean Section 1 of the 1st Division?
Based on the outcome of the 2010 NCU AGM it was decided to have 8 teams in Premier, Section 1 and Section 2, with the remaining teams making up Section 3 for 2012. This is why the NCU website shows 2 teams being relegated/demoted from the Premier League, 4 from Section 1 and 6 from Section 2.
I believe that after the three meetings held recently at which clubs discussed the NCU’s Senior Working Group’s report a consensus formed that the preferred structure would be 8, 10, 10, 9 team leagues. It is likely there will be a motion going forward to this year’s NCU AGM to enable this.
However, as the outgoing NCU President has pointed out to me the website should reflect the outcome of the 2010 AGM until then.

andy kennedy

dreich Buckna

11th Sep 2011

forgot to add "Section 1" in my last posting

andy kennedy

windy Buckna

11th Sep 2011

could anyone clarify what is happening in Section of the 1st division with regard to demotion - is it 2 or 4 teams going down?