Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Mid-ulster cricketer

Donaghcloney

19th Sep 2012

Mid -ulster select team

Graeme Hunter. Lurgan
Bruce Topping. Donacloney (wk)
Neil Carson. Donacloney
James McCollum Lurgan
Stephen Chambers Lurgan (capt)
Derek Heasley. Lurgan
David Marshall. Donacloney
Gary Knox. Donacloney
Peter Maxwell. Lurgan
Stephen Hanna. Donacloney
Paul Stafford. Lurgan

12 th man. Stephen Johnston. Lurgan

An experienced mid ulster team !!

Mid- ulster cricketer

Donaghcloney

18th Sep 2012

Neil
Lurgan weren't the only team south of Lisburn not to get a player in some people's team of the year ! Donacloney's Bruce Topping with over 500 runs this year surely should have got a mention !
Maybe a mid-ulster select XI should take on the rest !!
P.s I see a no result may be on the cards at Dundrum !!! Any odds on that one Jeff ? Lol

matthew

holiday 20/20

18th Sep 2012

seen the niacus team for white stick matach who pick it no billy adams bruce topping etc

Response

Billy has a broken arm...

bumperdale

BELFAST

18th Sep 2012

Agree with all you said concerning the most successful modern day North Down captain- Peter Shields.
My only disappointment with Peter's cricket career is that he should have played at least 50 times for Ireland and should have scored a lot more runs by batting himself up the order!
Maybe the new skipper will ensure that happens!
Good luck with the rest of your cricket career Peter!!

C.Boomer

Home

18th Sep 2012

Apologies if I'm coming across very pernickety but in my eagerness to post up my poem yesterday, there's one tiny but relevant typing omission that was missed.

Last verse third line down should read,
'without refrain' and not 'with refrain'
( much obliged )

Good luck to Ireland tomorrow against Australia in their first match of the T20 world-cup !

Ryan McCarter

The Mall

17th Sep 2012

I would imagine comment on the C.I spending spree and the relative value of their championship success has been decreed off-topic

Richard

Co.Down

17th Sep 2012

Dundrum v Holywood

I see there's quite an interesting relegation battle this sunday at Dundrum - How's the Ground looking Jeff, forecast looks decent all week ?

Neil Hunter

Belfast

17th Sep 2012

Jeff/Taito

As we won Section 1/Division 1 in 2009, 2011 & 2012 I would have thought we would have had some players in your respective sides...as you say the league position does not lie.

On another note regading a charity match, could a match between the NCU's best take on the NCU professionals with all funds raised from the game going to fund and support the NCU youth sides?

C.Boomer

Home

17th Sep 2012

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

Jekyll and Hyde could not confide
Neither agrees, nor abides
Not two men, but one of a kind
Each lived within the other’s mind

Jekyll a doctor and gentleman
Do for you and me all that he can,
But Mr. Hyde is not so nice
Opens his mouth, not thinking twice

One did enjoy a game of cricket
Though did not last long at the wicket
He made a potion.... a kind of tonic,
To help him stay there, turn bionic

From the bottle he took a swig
No time to use a guinea pig,
Thus Hyde was born, the story goes
Hairy eyebrows, crooked nose.

He dare not wait, had to play
Off to the pitch, he raced away
Out in the middle, pads, gloves and bat
Took his guard, then coughed and spat

All did not go according to plan
For this rude, obnoxious man
He swung and missed at each ball
Always to the Umpire, “Wide!” did call

The bowler bounced one in short
Again to the umpire, Hyde did retort
“Call no ball, it is a disgrace
He clearly meant to hit my face!”

Next ball was fast, full and true
Hit his pad, LBW and he knew
The appeal was loud, regarding Mr Hyde
Though he gauldered, “pitched past leg side!”

The effects of the brew then disappeared
Back Dr. Jekyll, so revered
Observing still, the pointing finger
About the crease he did not linger

As he departed, those poignant blue eyes
Looked to the umpire, to apologise,
Then made his way with refrain
To pour the tonic, down the drain
And thank goodness, Mr Hyde never appeared again!!!

'In dedication to all umpires, in the hope their family will once again be fruitful and that all dissenters shall be cleansed' !

Amen

Ryan

Down

17th Sep 2012

Umpires...
Clubs should be made to get clubmark accreditation which should have by now introduced mandatory umpiring no.s based on size of club and a host of other grounds requirements to increase playing standards.

Clarence Hiles

HQ

17th Sep 2012

Good luck Ireland. Another great adventure is about to begin and we are there on merit and totally respected by our peers. That hasn't happened by chance so credit all round and let's give total support win or lose. If we win one match that is progress at this level.

Clarence Hiles

HQ

17th Sep 2012

Hi Andy,
More a case of discussion points rather than whinges. I have no time for whingers including the oracle Mr. Nolan. It costs nothing to talk and every topic doesn't need to be tested by a vote. I'd like to think it is progressive, transparent and engaging for the people involved. We love our cricket and we should always strive to make it better. The article is a catalyst to help stimulate thought.
Agreed on Muckamore and thoroughly deserved.

andy kennedy

still trying to figure out PLO'H's question

16th Sep 2012

I am somewhat bereft reading the litany of problems rehearsed in your "features" blog. It certainly is a long list. The reduction in club's teams means that there will be less delegates attending the AGM and my experience - admittedly not all that recent - was of a degree of partisan voting so I'm not sure such a meeting is the catalyst for change. But the opportunity for discussion should not be missed. On the subject of the "forum", we live in an increasingly whinging society. One example is the Nolan Show where views can be expressed in the safe knowledge that responsibility for improvement lies somewhere else. I'm surprised that no-one has been taking a swipe on the forum at CI. I'm sure we all recall the bile that Derriaghy caused a few years ago but this year nothing. Perhaps the editor has taken action or perhaps we have all become a wee bit more mature in our thinking. On a partisan note - a great year for Muckamore and congratulations to all concerned. I wonder if we'll be able to see JRW behind all those trophies at the club dinner - we'll certainly hear him!

taito

belfast

14th Sep 2012

Paul.... I played all season in section 1 and i couldnt agree more. The standard is nowhere even close to the PL league. Even more so now the PL is an 8 team league. Section 1 clubs will more and more struggle to hold on to the best players too. It just shows you how poor the standard is that i can open the batting......

Paul Davidson

Work

14th Sep 2012

I watched Lurgan V Bangor end of July this year and was really shocked by the standard in section 1- Top & Bottom
Pro did get 100 that day but not much else on offer to threaten at a higher level