Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

C.Boomer

Home

28th Sep 2012

Yesterday, I went from almost getting the sack at work to a promotion !

As there's only 7 months left to the new cricket season begins again, I thought I'd take the opportunity at work as things are very quiet at present what with this old recession, to practise a few straight drives with my shovel, as I help Jimmy do the sweeping up at our place out in the yard.
As we thought the boss wasn't about, I got him to throw an old tennis ball at me and I whacked it all over the place.

It wasn't a good idea as it turned out, as un be known to us the boss was watching and came up from behind a shed and said rather sternly, that unless we did something to impress him very quickly, we should get our coats, leave and not come back !

Thinking quickly I said, "Boss, watch this" I grabbed the tennis ball threw it at Jimmy and knocked the fag he was smoking clean out of his mouth !

The boss then looked at Jimmy, who was already putting on his coat when he yelled in our direction, " stick you're job where the sun don't shine, cause I've got a far better one to go to"! and he walked out !

And the promotion ?

The boss said I could have Jimmy's brush and keep the yard tidy on my own!

( Miserable git ! )

andy kennedy

bar-b-q time in Buckna

27th Sep 2012

England "duffed" again and Collingwood on TV making excuses! OK its Arthur's Day but if Carlsberg did cricket matches!!

matthew

cruise

27th Sep 2012

duckworth lewis in junior 1 is a crazy idea some of the clubs are not oppen only the changing rooms are look at inst you have to have your one sandwich tea in the changing rooms which is a disgrace and you will need umpires at all games to ensure the print out is ready on time ncu again you need to be sensible

C.Boomer

Home

26th Sep 2012

David Edwards

Would you by any chance be related to the Jimmy at my work?

Seems both you & him have alot in common!

David Edwards

Soaking up the rain

26th Sep 2012

re C Boomer

When I went to school 2012 - 1903 was 109 so therefore the Met Office is perfectly correct; they're not always wrong. Hope you did better at English at school.

C.Boomer

Home

26th Sep 2012

After two days & nights of relentless rainfall, (as if we haven't seen enough) the weather and what it's going to do next, is as always a very topical subject.

During our lunch break at work, we were discussing the terrible summer and how it was the wettest on record for 100yrs according to Met office statistics.

Jimmy wouldn't agree to this at all !

Claiming he remembers his grand-father once telling him that 1903 was the worst summer ever for rainfall and that we or the Met office hadn't a clue what we were talking about !

Folk indeed...you sometimes just got sit back have a laugh and agree !

Conor

Saintfield

25th Sep 2012

Thanks Clarence. I just hope that this rain relents and gives us a chance! Apparently dogs were seen swimming on our square today...

clarence Hiles

HQ

25th Sep 2012

Apologizes to Saintfield for my faut-pas. I thought the season was already over because all the proposed matches were taken off the NCU website. If they can still beat the drop then good luck. I have many happy memories of matches against Saintfield and wish them well.

Conor

Saintfield

25th Sep 2012

As you will see from the NCU site we aren't quite relegated. We have 2 games next weekend and if we manage to win 1 of them we are safe due to our superior run rate to BISC (who are finished their season) and Drumaness, who we play on Sunday. Hopefully this weather clears off and we get the chance to secure our Section 2 status for next year.

Marty McKeown

Belfast

25th Sep 2012

I'm sure Saintfield won't be too pleased at the recent article on the site!! Surely they can still survive relegation by winning their 2 T20 games this weekend?

Alan CI

Belmont

24th Sep 2012

Just wanted to congratulate our friends from Dundrum on their survival in Laegue 1. Hopefully things will not be as big a struggle next season. Well done boys.

fluter

under the covers

24th Sep 2012

Congrats to dundrum yest in securing their place in div one...Full credit to Jeff and the team for giving us a chance and playing the game...not many teams would have done that...best of luck for nxt season

Ken Sims

Holywood, Co Down

24th Sep 2012

Well done to Dundrum for their win yesterday and also for their efforts in ensuring that the match went ahead.
If Holywood are wondering why their 1st XI has suffered relegation this season, then they need to look at both themselves and also Dundrum CC.
Part-time players at 1st XI level with other conflicting "interests" simply does not and will not work, especially after losing so many key players at the start of the 2011 season.
The contrasting fortunes of Holywood and Dundrum in the league table are clear testimony to that.
"a man reaps what he sows"

andy kennedya

clearing the gullies in Buckna

24th Sep 2012

its good to see that the positive "spirit of cricket" is alive and well as evidenced by the postings regarding the Hoylwood & Cregagh games. Contrasts with a wee whisper that I heard of where a player was complaining that to play "unstarred" players on the 2nd XI was not "in the spirit of cricket"!! Could this be the new dawn of mutual respect in our great game?

Andrew Hammond

Belfast

24th Sep 2012

Some of you may know that this season Portadown CC have been without a home ground due to essential drainage works being carried out by the Rugby Club. As the season is all but over, I would just like to publicly express our gratitude to the people and clubs who have made this difficult season run more smoothly.

Firstly to the clubs in Section 2 who were reversed the fixture and host the game at their ground. This happened on the majority of occasions and their willingness to do this, especially on week nights in some cases, was much appreciated. Thanks also to Lurgan and Victoria for their help early in the season with training nights, and for late season T20s.

The 2nd XI were usually able to play on council or school artificial wickets throughout the season, but thanks must go to Waringstown for reversing their fixture.

On the rare dry Saturday we could not reverse the fixture there are a number of clubs who generously lent us their ground – a big thanks to Tom Irwin and Laurelvale, and Peter Shepherd, Arthur Bowron and Stephen Fettis of Templepatrick. Both clubs were a great help on different occasions, and couldn’t have been more hospitable.

Also, to other clubs who were willing to help, but due to poor weather or rearrangements the game never took place. So thanks to Derriaghy, Muckamore, Lisburn, Lurgan, Dungannon and Dundrum – your efforts were much appreciated.

Lastly, I would like to thank the NCU, particularly Neil Hunter, Bryan Milford, Wylie McKinty, Andy Clement and George Whitten, for their cooperation this season. They had to deal with countless email requests, and last minute fixture details. Also, to echo what other people have said, thanks to Ian Houston for organising umpires this year. He also had to deal with plenty of correspondence from me, and we were very grateful to have officials for every game this season.

We will be back home next season and hoping for a drier and more successful season. Thanks again.