Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

andy kennedy

keeping Flossie warm in Buckna

3rd Dec 2013

Not having a pop at anybody here but my experience of the Premier League in particular over the past few seasons is that money doesn't make a team. I'm sure that guys who have played against such sides will have a view on team spirit.

Jim

Breakfast in Adelaide for this test only!

3rd Dec 2013

andy kennedy catching up on the zeds 24th Nov 2013

"But then again Engerland won the World Cup in 1966!!" Unless you're talking about some other tournament that year then I'd swear this is a football related comment on a cricket forum.

Phil

Belfast

3rd Dec 2013

Let's be quite open about things. The reality is that if you want to push for the premier league title there will have to be some expenditure on players over and above the overseas professional. And with it only being an 8 team league, teams that don't invest are likely to be towards the bottom. There is no secret in that and I doubt many will disagree.

matthew

office

2nd Dec 2013

Paul you seem to know very little about cricket if you are saying ciyms are buying the league north down are paying three players and ryan haire maybe they are trying to buy the league if you write on this forum get your facts right about teams

Frank Mitchell

waiting for the snow...

2nd Dec 2013

Paul, nice to see an anti CI before Xmas. No other team have signed a pro yet then? No other team signed any local players? I think Inst had the most players last year with roughly 7 players, but never a word against the so called Master Race.

Paul Mitchell

Killinchy

2nd Dec 2013

So CI have started their winter shopping with what looks to be a top class pro. With a few more signings reported could they buy the Premier League again?

With CI strengthening and Ervine back at Lisburn will Muckamore be favourites for the drop even with a decent pro

andy kennedy

Buckna

29th Nov 2013

I don't see how Jim concludes that I am trying to turn this into a football forum. I know little about soccer but I am aware of the situation in that other sports have found themselves following the embracing of the "professional game". Clarence makes reference to club treasurers and there have been some spectacular falls from grace, especially in the North West. The N.C.U. is not immune and the gap between the top 4 or 5 and the rest continues to widen and mirrors what has happened in rugby. Dungannon, once a major force in Irish rugby, now struggle to field a 3rd XV, Malone is a shadow of the club that used to put out 14 or 15 sides. Little appears to be done at Ravenhill to address this issue on foot of the success of the "provincial" side, Club Ulster, and I fear that the benefits of the success of the Cricket Ireland will not cascade down the "unions". But a football forum? Where did you pull that one from Jim?

Jim

green and pleasant land

26th Nov 2013

andy, thought I would bite this time. being as you are changing this into a football forum - maybe your team should start singing "We're not in Brazil, 'cos we're Norn Irn" Spend more time worrying about your own country and less about others. See you in Rio NOT!

Stuart Hughes

Lisburn

26th Nov 2013

You guys should take a look at the Clubmark scheme which addresses some of the issues you raise. A few clubs throughout the NCU have received accreditation in this.

Phil

Belfast

25th Nov 2013

In relation to criteria for qualification for entry to the premier league - the current teams of north down, waringstown, inst, csni, ciyms, ballymena and Lisburn all have at least 4 senior adult sides, field junior sides at nearly all age groups and generally have good playing facilities. They all have professionals and qualified coaches. Newcomers muckamore also tick all the boxes. Therefore, at present, is the PL not represented by the strongest clubs ?

andy kennedy

Buckna

25th Nov 2013

correct me if I'm wrong but does Cricket Scotland not have some sort of system of certification where the "whole club" structure is examined before promotion is granted? Irish rugby has a chartermark system where, again the whole club system is "audited". While Randalstown's application was being processed, one of the U17s was asked about the club's positive attitude to discipline and replied "aye, the coaches bate it into us all the time"! Out of the mouths of babes!! Not sure that the Irish League is a good example Ivan when I read about the recent fiasco over the Co. Antrim Shield! Have read Liam Beckett in today's Newsletter and still don't understand what is going on.

Ivan McCombe

Home from another days training.

24th Nov 2013

Wayne, interesting article if a bit idealistic as you say. The IFA have a system whereby to get promoted into the Premiership you must have a " licence from the governing body " . So the winners of the Chsmpionship are not automatically promoted. That obviously lets clubs play flat out to win the league without having the poisoned chalice of promotion into a league where your quality of player, finances, infrastructure isn't at the level needed to play at the top level.
Now this system doesn't restrict ambitious clubs like Ballinamallard United joining the elite clubs.
We don't want a closed shop Premier League but it's inevitable that if you are playing for a club with no ambition to play there that you will join a Premier League club if you think you are good enough. I think we will see a situation whereby the 2nds of the Premier League clubs will be on a par with most of the teams in Senior League One. In fact if the pros weren't playing in Section One we mightn't be far away from that right now.
I don't see how that is a bad thing. For a club to move up like Ballinamallard Utd did you need the quality of players matched by an ambitious, visionary committee and back room staff.

Wayne Horwood

United Kingdom

24th Nov 2013

A couple of interesting points about 8 team/10 team leagues and player payments/movements. Clarence i am going to latch onto your comment "Club Treasurers in the NCU and North-West start their season preparations by working out how much money they need to pay their pros. It's madness but if you have ambition and want to compete at the highest level how do you change it?"

I think this is the key point. So many clubs/unions focus on what happens next season....not where do want to be in 5 years or beyond and then how do we get there. It is all too short term and short term decisions lead to problems in the medium term.

If the aim is to look at cricket and improve the quality of grounds, groundsmen, equipment, coaching, youth numbers, clubs having inter pro representatives, unions having ireland players and Ireland ultimately move further up the world rankings and then test status then all of this needs financial and operational planning and a medium term strategy that links clubs, unions and cricket ireland.

perhaps assistance top down...eg cricket ireland/unions allocate development funding to clubs that develop/invest in equipment/have better grade of grounds to promote investment and development. If you continually invest and develop you will find clubs get better, players stay and whether it be 8 or 10 team leagues the clubs with the most robust infrastructure will ultimately play in the top leagues (albeit some will still get there due to ££).

All a bit idealogical i know but if clubs were ranked on not just league standings and had some incentive to improve the youth system/ground quality or even number of umpires into the system then it could help cricket throughout ireland

andy kennedy

catching up on the zeds

24th Nov 2013

just had a most enjoyable 4 days watching and reading about the Ashes 1st Test. Don't you just love the English media. Thursday morning - "Australia unable to top 300 on a flat perfect pitch, etc., etc." England just manage to top 300 in 2 innings!! Flossie is asking why I have had a permanent smile since Thursday! Bring on the world - aye right! But then again Engerland won the World Cup in 1966!!

Clarence Hiles

Wet day in Bim

20th Nov 2013

Billy can you blame the 8-team league for all this? We've only had it for one season and while I agree with many of your observations I can't accept they have been caused by the 8-team league. The 8-team league was a close call at the AGM but it needed to be tested and if it isn't working then the decision can be reversed. There are positives and negatives. However, I think the problems relating to the quality of teams, player movement and ambition all relate to money. Or the lack of it. National and the top level of club cricket is now professional and many clubs can't or won't get on the bandwagon. Look at what happened at Limavady when the money dried up. Club Treasurers in the NCU and North-West start their season preparations by working out how much money they need to pay their pros. It's madness but if you have ambition and want to compete at the highest level how do you change it? Even the great amateur clubs of old Waringstown and Donemana were forced to change to compete. Football and rugby are in the same boat-look at some of Andy's comments on rugby and see the comparisons with cricket.
Apart from all that I hope you are keeping well.