Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Phil

Belfast

11th Dec 2013

Ok so ballymena don't pay more than one pro. I suppose one team out of eight is fair enough. The reality is that when pro's where first introduced many moons ago, the seed was planted. It has steadily grown and just taken a long time and a Celtic boom to reach full bloom.
I would say that possibly with the exception of downpatrick, the clubs with the best facilities, youth set ups, and most senior teams are currently in the PL.

Billy Dobbin

Lisburn

11th Dec 2013

Fair play Neil, I would agree with your viewpoint. Every club is struggling as far as I can see and then you have the likes of C.I who ruin it for everybody in my humble opinion.

There are some clubs that have realised they can not afford to have pros and develop as a club but it leave a huge void in the coaching role.

Neil Hunter

Belfast

11th Dec 2013

Billy, I am not what you refer to in your e-mail. I do not sit on the cricket committee at Lurgan, all I do is look after the grounds. I have no say in relation to the playing side of things and people in Lurgan know my views.

Like Robin, I am speaking personally, as has been pointed out by the Peter, the sub editor.

I look after grounds from an NCU perspective and when I visit grounds and have a look in their machinery store, I find that most of the machinery is very old and needs replaced. Most of it is not fit for purpose and most clubs have little or no machinery.

This is what clubs need to invest in rather than in a bunch of mercenaries who don't know what the word loyalty means

matthew

study

11th Dec 2013

Surley the league structure needs looked at as north down and waringstown thirds are playing against second elevens whose firsts are one league below premier league teams I know that both ndcc and wtown have very young teams and they will gain experience but what happens if they lose their first few games there wil be no enjoyment for them my view is you cant have second and thirds in the same league

Simon Corlett

The very old soap box

11th Dec 2013

Clarence, I seem to remember that the argument FOR pros in the old days was that they would improve the standard of cricket etc etc.
Two things strike me. Firstly, the standard of cricket is nowhere near as high as it was in the days of the white haired gentleman from Waringstown, and secondly we're still debating the paying of players 35 years on. Neil Hunter has hit the nail on the head. We should spend the money on the ground, and that will do more than any pro to improve standards.

Billy Dobbin

Lisburn

11th Dec 2013

Typical Lurgan hypocrites. All their talk of youth development as they fork out big money on hired guns (Crasborne, Holmes) for the first XI then they think it appropriate to advise other clubs how to "develop" their 1st XI!

On a separate note I see C.I have announced today the signing of Waller from Lisburn. They must intend to buy back the league. What is the point of having one C.I home produced player in the team? what does it achieve?

Banning payments at A.G.M is pointless as it will be done under the table or by generous sponsors.

And to the Muckamore players who fought to get them promoted when they find themselves dropped I imagine the message will be tough luck - thats sport!

Response

Billy, as I stated before, the forum opinions are personal ones and do not represent individual club policies, so there is no hypocrisy!

Michael Taylor

Cambridge

11th Dec 2013

Thanks, Robin, but I am reliably informed that we did not pay Kiran More; he even paid for his own flights. In any case, he moved to Coleraine within three months of arriving at Ballymena.

Neil Hunter

Belfast

11th Dec 2013

Hiler, most groundsmen do not get paid!!..the first thing clubs should do is spend some money on equipment which will allow them to produce better grounds.

Clarence Hiles

HQ

11th Dec 2013

Andy,
Burnsy and the Ballymena Sixes go hand-in-hand in the Hiles memoirs! As does the late Jim "Wasim" Barry's threat to shoot us for spending the prize money one year. We told the Chairman we were knocked out in the 1st round but someone published a photo and blew our cover!
Great debate on paid players-time to wheel out Snowy and get him to champion the cause. What a pity you guys didn't come to the AGM. It would have been a joy to hear the cricket argument versus the business argument. I suspect all the Premier League clubs are in debt because of paid players and if not it is because someone outside the club is paying them. That said, there's nothing wrong with paying someone to coach if you can afford it. But shouldn't you pay the groundsman first?

Peter Shaw

Mild Antrim

10th Dec 2013

Ben Crangle

Think you meant the Youth Development Officer at North Down and not the sub editor in your posting.

Hope the weather in Brisbane is nice...

andy kennedy

Buckna

10th Dec 2013

I'm sure that "Phil" will join me in congratulating Ivan for his honest posting. Here we have an up-front statement of intent and the reasoning behind it. For so many years we have had the usual platitudes about "coaching", developing young guys, etc. when it was an open secret of what the real reason for hiring pros was all about. As someone who was around Ballymena at the time of Abi Satham and Kiran More the earlier postings bring back a lot of memories. The guy who went on to play for India and indeed become a leading administrator in Indian cricket could only get his place on the 1sts was when JRW took Hazel on holiday. Then again More didn't work for Sun Life - but that opens another whole series of memories of the 6-a-sides and maybe we'll just leave it there. P.S. Clarence - I meet Alan Burns regularly in a Belfast lunch venue and the 6s are never mentioned! He was telling me that the two of you have re-established contact after some years! Happy days alright.

Ben Crangle

Brisbane

10th Dec 2013

Re paid players.
I love the hypocrisy shown by the sub-editor when talking about paid players. This coming from the man who has played his club off against other clubs to get more money!!

Response

Not sure about the validity of either the name or the content of this post...
I'll take it as a compliment that someone thinks I could get paid to play, mustn't have seen me bat in a while!!!
IPS

Nile Smith

out there

10th Dec 2013

Re Robin & Neil

By the way Robin I well remember Abi and Kiran as I was one of their trainees.

I guess i'm about the same vintage as you guys but I remember going to an NCU AGM where the white- haired representative of a top village club who has now become a leading administrator made a very passionate and yet reasoned argument to ban professional cricketers. I think he ran it every year even though he must have realised that it was futile. His argument was "Lamba - no one can get him out! Merchant - no one can score off him!"

He was, and is, a really decent individual with an unsurpassed competitive streak but always a friendly word.

So this debate has been running for a very long time. But I consider that for the first time in 30 years there is a new context.

As in rugby (though less so as rugby is more popular than cricket) there is only financial resource for 2-3 pro / semi-pro teams in Ireland. This also depends on Warren Deutrom's negotiations with ICC.

Does anyone agree that the Knights / Lightning / Warriors teams are the appropriate platform where the talented locals and irish passport arrivals should aspire to and receive remuneration?

That way the clubs can return to true amateur status and rather than arguing for evermore about this issue just play as amateurs and come together to support our local inter-pro team.

My model is that the Knights should draw all the talent and pay per play. That way talented Ireland U-19 players from clubs would not be advised to move to develop. We've had two such players at Muckamore in the last 8 years.

Paul Jones

Gilford

10th Dec 2013

Re Neil Hunter

Didn't Lurgan pay any Irish passporter they could get their hands on last year to try and stay in the Premier League?

Robin, some very valid points but aren't your own club paying 4 or 5 players this year whether for coaching, or playing in PL or in the case of last year pay them to play Junior One?

Response

Paul, I think if you read a bit deeper you may see that Robin and Neil are giving their own personal views, their posts do not state that they represent their club policy, indeed in both cases it would appear quite the opposite...
In the case of James Cameron-Dow or the 'Junior One Pro' as he was dubbed, I can assure you he was not paid by NDCC. Nice to see that he was called up by Ireland 'A' today although I'm sure the CIYMS 2nds batsmen that he failed to get out can't see what all the fuss is about!!! Congrats JCD from all at The Green.
IPS
Forum Sub-Ed

Neil Hunter

Belfast

10th Dec 2013

Robin, you have got it spot on in all what you say. I could see paying a lot of players if you got £50K for winning the league, but this is not the case.

I think it's time a proposal to the NCU or by the NCU was made to limit a club to one paid player. If we keep going the way we are, will we end up in the same position as the clubs in the the North West. Look at all the Limavady players who were paid for years and as soon as the club can't pay, they disappear to other clubs. So much for loyalty to Limavady, it's appalling.

For all the teams that bring over the Irish passport brigade and pay them, what happens if they progress and play for Ireland. As time goes on Ireland will look to have semi pro or even pro teams so the clubs will not have access to their so called own players, thus their investment is a waste. It's will be a bit like the Ulster rugby players, they never play for their clubs.

I have heard for years clubs boasting about their youth structures and all the upcoming talent we have as a result of all the coaching that is going on. As I write, no club in the NCU can say they are full of youth talent. If they do, why are these young players not playing on your firsts. If they were playing in your 1sts this would negate the need to bring in 3 - 6 paid players.

The most worrying thing from the NCU perspective is that our youth teams seem to be light years behind Leinster. Is this because of the paid players taking their places thus leaving these youngsters playing for their 2nd XI's instead of learning their trade in the 1sts?

Ivan, what you are doing to promote cricket at Muckamore is to be congratulated, but I have one question. If you bring in 3 or 4 players, what do you say to those players who got you promoted last year who will not get a look in in 2014?