Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Robin haire

Comber

10th Dec 2013

Michael T, whilst I understand you weren't even born, but if you ask any of the old Ballymena brigade they will tell you about Abi Satham and Keiron More who played for Ballymena in 1985, K More the Indian test keeper who couldn't displace the great Jimmy Boyce from behind the stumps until a mystery injury at Comber midway through a game. Needless to say 3 catches and 3 stumpings later JB fielded the other games, so it could be said Ballymena introduced the pro and mate idea.

On a serious note it would be great if we could sort something out about player payments, I think a lot of people agree that clubs cannot afford it nor does it help the clubs development, in fact in a lot of cases all it's doing is putting clubs in a false position and in financial difficulty. In all honesty it beggars belief when you hear some of the guys who clubs are paying in the NCU and North West area.

Same old record but what about improving our wickets, drainage, changing room and social areas, rant of the week finished.

Michael Taylor

Cambridge

10th Dec 2013

Although I'm not writing this on my club's behalf, I can say that Ballymena CC pays only one player.

We have not paid more than one player per season while we have been in the Premier League (or, indeed, any league).

A quick look at our 1st XI averages for the past five years might explain why.

Andy McCrea

Ballyclare

10th Dec 2013

Dear all

RE - coach education

Just to let you know of a few spaces still available on the 1 day Cricket Coach Education course below.

This is a good opportunity for coaches looking to get on the first step of the coaching ladder and for your club / school to progress coaching knowledge.

Welcome To Coaching
Saturday - 14th Dec
0930-1630 at University of Ulster, Jordanstown

You must be 14 or over to attend this course.
Cost = £20

If interested - please contact Stephen Moreton on stephen.moreton@cricketireland.ie

Andrew Haire

Comber

9th Dec 2013

All sounds very exciting Ivan, and Im sure its well deserved with people like yourself and Andy hard at work throughout the last few years on alot of the unseen/untold efforts which make the difference.

I would agree that payments being made throughout the league have led to a semi professional notion, but in reality I do not think the standard has improved at all in the last 5-10 years despite the increase in money being invested in players to play.

Personally I feel it is much wiser to bring in one or two people (not 5 or 6 players) with a development/coaching mindset to ensure the future of the club with a long term strategic approach.

Would much rather see clubs fielding younger players at crucial stages of their development to aid in retaining their enthusiasm and commitment to the game. Examples have shown that there are many benefits to this.

Hope yous stick to your guns Ivan for the coming season and keep up the great work being done.

phil

Belfast

9th Dec 2013

On the back of Ivan's email is it now agreed that to sustain your position within the premier league investment in players above and beyond the overseas professional is required ? Do any PL clubs dare put their hand up a say they only have one paid player on their first eleven ?

Ivan McCombe

Chilling out

8th Dec 2013

Re Alan and Mucksmoremoney.
I like Ryan Haire's quote that forums and facts don't always go hand in hand. However it's an open secret that we are keen to strengthen our team for 2014 in the Premier League. The new eight team structure has created a very competitive semi professional league and teams like ourselves winning promotion have got to have ambitions beyond being a yo yo club. With Charlie Henderson now heading up our cricket committee we have someone who knows what is involved in being successful at sport and in the business world so it won't be for the want of trying. Neil Gill and his young squad have been at indoor nets for the past six weeks and they are certainly gearing up for the challenge ahead . Just sorting through the fixtures for our other teams this weekend it's great to see the likes of Waringstown, North Down, Instonians, Merriion, Bready down to play at Moylena. Our new pitches should be by the start of the season among the quickest in the NCU thanks to the efforts put in over the winter by Michael Kennedy and Philip McCormick. With our beautiful setting and partisan crowds which I expect to be among the largest in the Premier League we as a club want to become a regular fixture in the top flight. Lots of work in the sponsorship and fund raising front is well underway. We are also fielding a fifths for the first time this season , a second team in the midweek league and a Ladies team plus an Academy Coaching structure and a summer scheme so it's not only the Firsts that have us buzzing. Any player joining us in 2014 will be joining a club with loads of energy and ambition.

Frank Brannigan

Peaking out of the shelter

7th Dec 2013

re Paul Ward

Are you not mixing them up with Lisburn?

Alan

Sofa

7th Dec 2013

Interesting rumours about Muckamoremoney...waving the green at up to 3 CSNI players including one of their own...as well as courting a current Irish international and a former Irish international, both who like the green in more ways than one!!

Paul Ward

Comber

6th Dec 2013

CIYZS - Church of Ireland Young Zimbabwean Society.

clarence Hiles

Cold and wintery Comber

6th Dec 2013

Hard to beat Harrisonstown in the 60s and 70s.

Ryan Haire

Home

6th Dec 2013

Northdown Under?

Frank Brannigan

Bomb proof bunker

6th Dec 2013

Nice put down Ryan.

In the past we've had Derriafrica and CSNZ. Any contenders for a similar approach for CIYMS, or are they too multi-cultural?

Ryan Haire

Belfast

6th Dec 2013

Matthew...since when has a "forum" been based on facts - lol ps are you paid per word or run?

C Boomer

What would this player cost a local club?

4th Dec 2013

Johnston..David Trent !

Pardon me if I may, no need to hasten away
pull up a chair, sit down, relax and stay
switch off that mobile, forget facebook and twitter
I'll make a brew, one lump or two?
while tell you about a fine Irish cricketer
so as you enjoy your cuppa keep an ear lent!

Strong is the allure of any Irish cricket tour,
so many thrilling matches, seldom demure!
And just as worthy, the vintage of March 2013,
United Arab Emirates the venue and opposing team
thus as always before, his efforts supreme
against batsman or bowler, he did not relent!

First match up, the Inter-Continental cup
and Ireland's glorious batsmen, ran amok
a first innings score, now etched in folklore
such a glorious feat in extreme desert heat
589 they amassed, eclipsing 578 of before
and who passed 250 wickets on a wicket of cement?

Next a world qualifying game out in that sunny plane
on top of the league table, Ireland determined to remain
165 was the Emirates score, Ireland's batsman again to the fore
easily knocking off the runs with overs in store,
but who had figures 6-2-28-1 including opener Ali out for 4?
an incredible performance, magnificent!

With little time for respite both teams renewed the fight,
a second world cup qualifier, neath Sharjar's sun bright
the Emirate's score though improved on before,
Ireland's batsmen, easily went passed
but M.O.M. 9-2-25-4, like 'Billy the Kid' lightening fast
his bowling was passionately fervent!

At the T20 bash, Big Phil gave him a day off, at last
he watched with the crowd, his team remained unsurpassed
in automatic transmission, Ireland dominant in completing the mission,
the Emirates cricket tour story, ending in magnanimous glory!
And come Australia 2015 Mr Lillee,Thompson, Warne and McGrath,
bow with one knee bent, when you hear the name Johnston.. David Trent!

Andrew Haire

Comber

4th Dec 2013

Matthew

Your welcome to email me for any fitness requirements you have, or indeed for a better knowledge on cricket.