Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

andy kennedy

Buckna

6th Nov 2013

c'mon Simon don't leave us hanging on! These aul' dark days are long enough in Buckna with only Flossie and the wet battery wireless for company!

Simon Burrowes

Going to bed............

6th Nov 2013

Bothwell Vennard! Now there was a character. I remember George McKillen, I think. Dapper man, wore a tie, smoked (not the tie), glasses and well spoken. Some great scorers right enough. I remember when my dad first took me to the cricket at Bangor that a Mr Glass was the scorer (father of Stanley Glass, I think, if anyone remembers him). He seemed about 80 and his hands shook. How he completed the book I don't know. Will tell a story about Bothwell when it's a more sensible hour.

Clarence Hiles

HQ

5th Nov 2013

You got that right Andy. His catchphrase was "G and T please." Caught me for a tenner at the Clontarf bar many years ago but on reflection is was a small price to pay for the many laughs and the craic he provided. Scorers in the old days were characters. Dick Shaw at Lisburn was great for old stories, Pat at Ormeau was a legend and Mr Vennard at Laurelvale was another story.
Jackie Neil and John Patton just lovely people. Great memories.

andy kennedy

mellow Buckna

4th Nov 2013

the tribute to J.R. Crothers carried a picture of the Instonians team and on reflecting on "characters" there are quite a few on that team but none greater than the scorer wee George McKillen - now there was a guy responsible for some lengthy "apres-matches" at Shane Park!!

davy mcd VCC

enjoying this "downtime"

1st Nov 2013

Freddie, there are still a lot of good players about the 'dee and one of the best away grounds (for hospitality off the pitch if not the "enjoyment" I have had far too often on the field lol), just keep working and it can be amazing how quickly things can turn round for the better.
All the best for next season (and hopefully we will manage to stay up and renew aquaintances in 2015 in section 2), and maybe a beer or two down by the harbour.

Robin haire

Sunny Comber

30th Oct 2013

Bumper, I thought you had to be an all rounder to play in single wicket comps. Sad to hear about Donaghadee,s struggles in recent times but rest assured lots of clubs are in a similar state. Loved playing at the Dee in the 70s, I was playing against the Dee 1sts in 1977, batting with the great Rivelino Shields and witnessed for the only time a batsman being given out obstructing the field,Don Shields swotting the ball tennis like when he was ten yards short of his ground from an incoming throw,absolutely priceless moment,still vividly remember Rivelino with his long hair jumping to divert the ball,what a character he was, sadly not too many characters left in the game.

Freddie

Donaghadee

30th Oct 2013

Trevor Sailes(RIP) certainly was a character, as a young lad playing on the same team he certainly was a competitor, That stare he would give if you dropped a catch of him, needless to say it kept us on our toes, Great memories of keeping wicket to him bowling 20 overs from one end.

Bumperdale

BELFAST

29th Oct 2013

Yesteryear at donaghadee.
As a youngster I recall being asked to play in a single wicket competition in the early 70s.
I drew Ronnie Elliot in the first round and was out third ball for a duck. The locals thanked me for coming down and informed me the next bus to Belfast was in 5 minutes time.
However I clean bowled him first ball and managed to reach the final where I met a true legend Stanley Hewitt. Needless to say I finished runner-up.
The prize money went into a kitty and beer and fish suppers were taken at the front beside the paddling pool.
The night ended with Sailor removing his shoes and socks and dumping a young D/dee player into the pool. He only asked 'How come you didn't make the final Sailor!! HAPPY DAYS!

andy kennedy

Buckna

29th Oct 2013

to throw a few more names into Bob's mix - Alastair Kyle, big Ivan Reid & I always remember a two-nighter played to the sound of Francis Porter on an air-horn!! Things were always quiet when Sailor was about whether on the cricket or rugby field! On reflection I wonder why there are no larger than life characters in the game now. Certainly no-one comes immediately to mind when I think of the likes of Messrs. Marno, Robbie Harrison, Rex Gilliland, Billy Kirk,F.S. Hewitt, Ed Tormey et.al. to name but a few - not forgetting the gentleman from Holywood who recently discovered this forum! now there's a topic to keep us going in the dark days up to Christmas!

Freddie Gilroy

Donaghadee

24th Oct 2013

Some memory Simon, Rashid Israr is correct, very good batsman, maybe like a lot of the pros too good for this standard of cricket. The previos Dee pro was a more exciting cricketer, Herbie Chang, little left handed West Indian Batsmen, We did have our fair share of good players, Ronnie Elliott, Tommy Hamilton, Trevor Sailes, pity they still werent involved with the Dee

Bob Patterson

Bangor

24th Oct 2013

Re: Freddy Gilroy

Sad to see the demise of the once strong club. I remember the strong teams of the 80s and early 90s and it wasn't just a one man team with players like Tommy Hamilton, Ward McConkey, Trevor Sailes, Ronny Elliot amongst others.

Simon - Rashid Israr and Herbie Chang must have been two of the best pros you would have played against?

Simon burrowes

Lying on bed

24th Oct 2013

Four good teams and a certain Rashid Israr if I've spelt the name correctly. Depending on your view on pros, he ruined many a good game. Mind you, we eventually tried to - had to? - follow suit at Holywood. A conundrum perhaps. Plenty of other very good Dee players in those days, but Israr was generally good for 100.

Freddie Gilroy

Donaghadee

24th Oct 2013

Guys, just came across this great forum regarding cricket in Ulster. It saddens me as a lifetime member of Donaghadee CC to see clubs like ours struggle week in week out to muster 2 teams. I remember the days in the early 80s when we had 4 strong teams. Is it just our club or do other clubs have the same problems apart from it seems the premier league clubs

andy kennedy

Buckna

23rd Oct 2013

totally agree Jonny. At the recent NIACUS AGM Mr. Hunter was commending the work done by Michael on the Muckamore pitches so the theft of the major items of equipment is particularly sickening. Don't let the b***ards get ypu down lads.

Jonny kennedy

Rossdale

22nd Oct 2013

Just off the phone with my brother who informs me of a break-in at Moylena. Some equipment/tools etc. taken and while this is a setback for him personally I know him and Moley will be back on track in no time.

Chins up lads and don't let the scumbags win.