Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Van Der Sar

Damstraat

21st Mar 2014

As I watch Ireland taking a hammering by the Oranjemen, it has taken my mind back to Andy Kennedy's comments on this forum on Englands defeats. It seems that he only watches TV when England lose. I do hope, as an honorary Hollander that he seen our display today.

JEFF

Dundrum

19th Mar 2014

Andy too busy between textn/facebook but think winning 2000£ over 4 day was excellent last year 2650£ year before 1490£ although backing 6 winners at Dundalk fri night topped up the kitty. Have say Kyle Mccallan is superb on sky t20 coverage so good luck Ireland fancy Kiwis/s Africa . Andy LAY ENG as they no chance

Roger Bell

NCU

18th Mar 2014

Coaching Certificate in Young People and Adults

Dates for the Course are:
Monday 21st and Tuesday 22nd April
Friday 2nd May
Monday 26th May

Venue: Muckamore Cricket Club

Cost: £235 per person

Cricket Ireland has agreed to deliver a Coaching Certificate in Young People and Adults course (superseded the former ECB Level Two) in April/May 2014. This has been predominantly arranged to assist clubs who are contracting overseas players for the 2014 season to successfully achieve their qualification in line with the existing Governing Body Endorsement criteria.

However both the NW and NCU would encourage all clubs to maximise attendance at this course by nominating additional individuals and this should be done by emailing Stephen Moreton at stephen.moreton@cricketireland.ie. The maximum number able to attend the course will be 24 and names will be taken on a first come first served basis.

Clarence Hiles

HQ

14th Mar 2014

Sad to hear of the passing of Sam McConnell (Sen) a real stalwart of North-West cricket. "Mr. Bready" shifted mountains for his beloved club and was always a warm and friendly host. He was also a popular umpire, and strong supporter of his union, but they always played second fiddle to Bready Cricket Club, his pride and joy. A huge part of his legacy will be the impressive Bready set-up he has helped build over the last two decades.
Sincere condolences to all the McConnell family and the Bready cricket community on the loss of a great club icon.
JCH

Andy McCrea

Templepatrick CC

13th Mar 2014

CRICKET COACHING QUALIFICATION

For those of you who may be interested in getting involved with cricket coaching, after 3 successful courses in the last 3 years, Templepatrick Cricket Club in conjunction with Cricket Ireland are running the following coaching course at their ground ( The Cloughan, Doagh Road , Ballyclare )

Welcome to Cricket Tuesday 22nd April 5.30pm till 9pm

This course will allow you to work with young players on introducing basic cricket skills to them and provide you with a range of games that can be used with players to further develop their cricket experience.
This course is a good starter for those people with limited cricket experience or limited experience in working with young players and allow you to assist other qualified coaches.

The cost of the course is £10

Who can attend ? Answer - Anyone over the age of 15 years old.
Attendee Requirements: There is no assessment to be completed during this course. Participants however are required to attend all components of the course in order to receive a certificate of participation.

Accreditation: Attendees will receive a certificate of participation at the completion of the course.
Cricket Ireland are hugely grateful for the support of Templepatrick Cricket Club for facilitating these hugely important courses as Cricket continues to grow exponentially at many levels throughout the country.

The course will be outdoors and is therefore weather dependent.
If the weather is unkind to us on that evening the back up dates are

Second attempt if needed - Tuesday 29th April 5.30pm till 9pm ( outdoors at Templepatrick Cricket Club )

Third attempt if needed - Wednesday 30th April 6.30pm till 10pm ( indoors at Jordanstown University)

Please get in touch with Andy McCrea if you are interested on mccrea.a@sky.com or 07811737047

Clarence Hiles

HQ

12th Mar 2014

Yes Ivan, Remember the occasion well but maybe not 1986 as that was the year Fredie Ashton scored the century and we went to Headingly. Meeting Jimmy was one of several great trips we had with the Grasshoppers and Ireland. I'm sure there are a few photos of Jimmy in the UC archives and you have a full set. He also wrote a lovely poem about Sir Harry Secombe that we published in 1988.

andy kennedy

balmy Buckna

12th Mar 2014

Watching England getting hammered again and was wondering if that was Colin Barkley trying to avoid the peppering by the Windies batsmen?

Ivan McCombe

Home

12th Mar 2014

Clarence I remember playing with Jimmy Ellis for the Grasshoppers and the next day he entertained us at the Lords Test when play was cancelled for the day v Pakistan. The bars were closed up but a guy recognised Jimmy from the TV and duly opened up . He loved being around people from home. I think that was 1986.

andy kennedy

balmy Buckna

11th Mar 2014

Not directly related to cricket but with the start of Cheltenham are there no tips coming from the Dundrum racing advisor?

Clarence Hiles

HQ

11th Mar 2014

Sad to hear of the passing of Ulster actor Jimmy Ellis of Z Cars fame. Jimmy played a few games for the Ulster Grasshoppers in the early years when we followed Ireland in England and he was a friendly and jovial companion off the field. He loved cricket and loved being around cricket people and cricket places.

Ian Elliott

Bangor

7th Mar 2014

So the other channel reporting that PJ Moor is now also returning to Belmont - some team they have now. Surely they must be big favourites for Premier League. With Muckamore reportedly also having been after PJ, surely they are one of favourites for the drop.

Any other transfers in the NCU?

Freddie

Donaghadee

6th Mar 2014

Donaghadee CC are looking for a friendly on Sunday 27th April if any teams would be able to accomodate us at their ground.

Tim Browne

Belfast

6th Mar 2014

Woodvale have a used full length artificial cricket pitch for sale. It is in good condition and was lifted from the square to allow for two new artificial pitches to be installed. Comes complete with full length underlay sheet. Any interested parties please contact me at browne_timothy@hotmail.com

C Boomer

Home

3rd Mar 2014

The Catch !

Standing lonesome and pitiful, far out by the boundary rope
the day was beginning to really drag and I was fast losing hope,
I’d failed once more with the bat, yet another calamity
and now I’m watching fluffy clouds pass by, oh dear woe is me!

Why did I not invent some paltry excuse, then call or send a text
informing him I could not play, even though he would be vexed,
like my second cousin once removed is visiting, or the dog’s not well
but our skipper is a shrewd old bird and a rat he'd easily smell!

Now don’t take me up wrong or get confused, I do enjoy the game
but lately I have been faltering and really, I’ve only myself to blame,
despite his protestations, I think weekly practice on the whole
is boring so I don’t attend, that’s probably why I never get a bowl!

Goodness gracious a wicket down, Grieves has got one to nip back
not a bad effort I suppose, though perhaps it hit a crack?
My o my he’s done it again, their big hitter has played all around
LBW and now he’s taking the long walk, to the visitor’s compound!

But it won’t make any difference; they’ll easily overtake our score
although the skipper and young Endicott, battled as if they were in a war,
they got us to some sort of total, though hard for me to observe
Gee-whiz another shock, the skippers bowled his counterpart, boy, he's got some nerve!

Despite these minor triumphs, this contrived joviality is mere parole
and this alacrity won’t last long, old Tobias is now on to bowl,
I know the old duffer loves his cricket, but it really is a joke
he must be getting on for 75 or more, though still a pleasant, perky bloke!

Panic must be setting in, a dolly missed and the ball hits middle stump
then another LBW, two run outs, a stumping, old Tobias has got the hump,
but they only need a few to win then I'll get home, ending this servitude
Ah yes a mighty whack, now that ball is travelling like a rocket, gaining altitude!

But what goes up must come down, is more than just an obvious cliché
though and behold that little red ball, is now fast hurtling down my way,
as I watch it descend, an ethereal transition overcomes my mind
time slows up and within those elongated seconds, no longer am I blind!

Like a soothsayer, now I clearly see my teammates through an inward eye
my skipper’s fortitude, always leading by example and never saying "Die"!
And there's Grieves and Endicott, neither born with silver spoon
a proud father and his son, straining every sinew each Saturday afternoon!

Finally I see Tobias, a decorated old soldier who knew much worldly strife
each week he looks forward to a game, long since retired from army life,
then instantly this time portal disappears; I’m back waiting for the catch
and as the ball lands firmly within my eager grasp, I can't wait for next week’s match!

Matthew Parks (VCC)

-

3rd Mar 2014

Victoria Cricket Club are holding a Dinner in Brownlow House on Friday 28th March to celebrate their 60th Anniversary. Tickets are priced at £25. The price includes a three course meal, after dinner speeches and entertainment afterwards by a live band. 60th Anniversary brochures, looking back at the history of the club will also be available.

If you are interested in purchasing a ticket, feel free to get in touch by either phone(07584087730) or email (mparks05@qub.ac.uk)

Event: 60th Anniversary Dinner
Date: Friday 28th March
Price: £25