Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

rob

belfast

28th Apr 2014

I think u have missed the point...the question was asked in regards to predictions and I have stated that VCC have no chance to stay up...I did not say they should fold.
DIV 3 teams who are promoted seem to suffer the yoyo effect ( up one year down the next etc) and I predict VCC will suffer this.
My main point is that DIV 3 teams in general lack professionalism ( spelling ) and the DIV should be scrapped and replaced with a social league...if any players want to play at a higher level they can move clubs.

C Boomer

Home

28th Apr 2014

rob ?

What a load a blather if ever I heard any....So if a team gets beat in the first match of the new season they should fold ??

You've sprinkled far too much sugar on your cornflakes this morning my good fellow!

NCU Fantasy

NCU HQ

28th Apr 2014

So we've had our form guide provided ( i.e first week of the season).
There are still a few days left to enter your PriceWaterhouseCooper NCU Fantasy league team for this season. It's totally free to enter with monthly prizes and an overall winner taking away an expenses paid trip to Ireland v England next year. All you need is a valid email address to enter.
The rules, how to enter and a fantastic interactive player list are available at the link below and you can ask any questions on our twitter feed @ncufantasy1. Why not get involved? And if you have already then why not badger you mates to enter and set up a mini league between you.
http://www.northerncricketunion.org/database/thencu/NCU_FL2014_PlayerList2.php

rob

belfast

28th Apr 2014

Victoria have no chance of staying up....very poor show by them considering they have had months to prepare...as I have said before DIV 3 should be scrapped as there are very few teams ( maybe 2 ) who can be promoted and stay up...just seen the ards vs dunmurry result from Sunday, proves a point I think.
Teams in DIV 3 need to make a choice , be more professional or fold...as portadown did last year.

andy kennedy

Buckna

27th Apr 2014

It is with deep sorrow that I learned of the death of Robin Beggs. He was a real stalwart of Carrick and in recent years, despite health problems, he was a regular attender at games - always at his usual chair with his pre-match crossword! Indeed I missed him and I was shocked to learn that he was indeed so ill. My sincere sympathy goes to his family circle & the wider Carrick cricket community.

andy kennedy

Buckna

26th Apr 2014

The jungle drums are beating and rumours are reaching Buckna of a possible "lock-in" (or should that be "lock-out) at Donacloney! As we Super Spurs followers of a previous generation used to sing "nice one Cyril"!!!!

Davy McD VCC

trying to retire from playing

24th Apr 2014

with regards to that semi-final, I cant recall why I was there, just know I was (normally my saturday morn was deciding to go with my grandfather to watch Waringstown or with my father to watch Lambeg, though by '81 Lambeg would have folded), I still remember the call for a "drinks break" despite the fact that it was a lot cooler by then than during the first innings (kidology sticks in my mind), and was great to see the crowd that was in the Factory that day. As to Sydney Alexander, true gentleman and great clubman (one of quite a few of that generation), but still enjoyed watching his brother batting more.
looking forward to the season and just hoping we can stay up, though would be interested to hear the predictions of others

Clarence Hiles

HQ

22nd Apr 2014

Yes Billy that trip to the 'Cloney was one of many happy visits to the Factory Ground and the match was a thriller in every sense. Wonderful club with lovely people and a unique atmosphere that is very special in Ulster cricket. As an aside I share Ivan's comments about Muckamore stalwart John McCormick-a real Trojan at Moylena. In Donacloney's case Sydney Alexander would be up there with the best of them. A true sportsman, win or lose on or off the field. Cricket would be nothing without the likes of John and Sydney. And the same could be said for Bumper Dale-I doubt if there's a more enthusiastic cricketer playing this Saturday and he's a little over 21. Time will not age him.

C Boomer

Home

22nd Apr 2014

Coincidently enough Andy, the Co Antrim man was the inspiration behind the poem, that allied with a certain Stevie Gerrard ofcourse!

andy kennedy

Costa del Buckna

22nd Apr 2014

After reading Caleb's latest posting isn't the Dulseman doing a great job at Anfield. I know that this isn't directly related to cricket but the man has obviously got tremendous man-management skills and I would really like to see him writing about his "thinking" - and him from just over the hill at Carnlough!

andy kennedy

Costa del Buckna

22nd Apr 2014

Just to follow on from Messrs McCombe &Dobbin - in all the years of being involved in cricket I don't ever recall anyone ever saying that they had retired too late. That's why I keep telling guys to keep at it as long as the body can "thole" it. As for that shiner on the leg Ivan, I recall getting one like that from Denis Fell at Wallace Park only mine was on the shin. My eyes still water at the memory!!

C Boomer

David Moyes look away ...

22nd Apr 2014

The Successful Coaches Guide…

Come hither, come hence, all mentors and coaches fine
to hear a tale, philosophical and sanguine
for if it is your desire, the ladder of success to climb
then for your benefit my request, refuse not or decline!

A most eminent scholar, once did opine
show me the boy, between seven yrs and nine
and I’ll show you the man, his party line
begin as you mean to go on, the inferred incline!

Now it is incumbent upon you, to take the time
and teach your underlings, never to be supine
fight like the lion, that peerless feline
and if convincing, just like a star for you they will shine!

So before you embark on a voyage, destined to be divine
beware the perils of fame and gluttonous swine
who proffer much money, if for their club you'll sign
don’t be an agent provocateur, for any would be lupine!

Always keep your love for the game, wholesome and genuine
then no player under your wing, will have reason to whine
as high moral integrity, can give none cause to repine
So keep these ideals in mind and your career will mature, like rare vintage wine!

Billy Dale

Belfast

21st Apr 2014

You will fondly remember this game Clarence!
The first game of the 2014 season is away to Donacloney. The last time I played there was the 1981 Senior Cup semi-final played in front of a capacity crowd, even the factory roof was full of the Cloney faithful chanting we are on our way to Wembly as they raced to 88/1 at drinks chasing a modest 150 with pro West Indian Harper still to bat!!But what a comeback by North Down to win it by 3runs- a dropped catch but a quick pick up and throw ran out the last Cloney batsman.
I can't really expect the same excitement next Saturday but you never know in cricket1

Ivan McCombe

Resting my sore leg when I should know my feet are for dancing

20th Apr 2014

Billy, if I had to pinpoint one reason for the involvement of so many ex players at and about Moylena it is quite simply - John McCormick. His passion for the club from the best player to the guy just starting out is infectious . To see him at 70 years of age don the pads in the nets the other week to give a master class in technique was awesome and then the next day see him helping get the back pitch ready for the new season. With that enthusiasm you just can't help but want to be involved. As I enter my 44th season of competitive cricket , John is the one constant throughout all those years . Even when I left because I wanted to play at a higher level for four seasons he was constantly reminding me just how great a club Muckamore is and that's why we coined the phrase " there are no gates at Moylena " which is true in every sense of the word. Every club has it's stalwarts but I don't think any club has such a passionate one as John who loves everyone who makes even the smallest contribution to Muckamore. When you receive the McCormick " hair dryer " treatment you know he rates you highly.

Billy Dobbin

Lisburn

18th Apr 2014

That is an admirable quality to have around a club, too many ex players take a lot from a sport during their playing careers and then give nothing in return, a sad indication on society!