Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Peter Hawthorne

Sunny Ballycarry

4th May 2014

Not entirely sure what point this rob character is making? Should we just have a premier league and those not deemed good enough can scrap about for a game for a premier league's 2s or even midweek team? If we didn't have the likes of section 2 and 3 etc, there would be a lot less youngsters being exposed to genuinely competitive adult cricket. Have to agree with what the guys from Cregagh are saying, I've played against them several times at Junior League level and they have always had some of the best youngsters going, mainly due to the fact that they have a committed group of adults willing to help coach them. Not everyone can play to the highest level but it doesn't mean that it's any less enjoyable.

Neill Harvey

VCC Lurgan and Proud of It

3rd May 2014

re Rob
What a terrible little existence you must lead! Why doesnt every team just pack up now and quit cricket. I have never heard such drivel.
What is your issue with VCC. We are trying to better ourselves, we may well be favourites for the drop but we will fight all year to stay up. Why should a cricket club fold just because we will struggle in the league we were just promoted to. I think the work rate and the fact we gained promotion with 6 straight victories at the end of last season should be commended.
I can just picture you, one of the sideline mouth pieces who knows everything about everything and has never put in a poor show!
If you are going to slag people off at least have the decency to let them know who you are so we can all collectively laugh at your arrogant little opinions!!
Good luck to all teams this year throughout the divisons and enjoy what is a wonderful game no matter how good you are!!

Ivan mccombe

Resting at home before another game.

3rd May 2014

Andy, I think rather than fight change the best thing is to embrace it. Inter pro cricket featuring the best available 33 players has to be welcomed. I think if you can't beat them then join them so maybe clubs need to aspire to be one of the top four "big clubs".

Davy McD VCC

looking for Robcc Belfast

2nd May 2014

I feel that I have to agree with Rob from belfast (not sure what Belfast club he is affiliated to, if any), but it is obvious to anyone that has been watching NCU cricket that the problem is junior clubs trying to become better and offering cricket to young (& not so young) people, when all resources should be used in importing ready made cricketers, after all, who would want Nelsons or Dennisons at their club knowing that they were from a club that once played in what "rob from belfast" says is nothing more than a "social league"
I will be in Saintfield tomorrow, the first time I have played there since as a very young teenager Alvin Spence scored his first 100, we may win, we may not, but we will fight to defend every run, every wicket, and we will continue to do so all season long, but at least we will have the courage to put our name and our club alongside our posts.
I can recall watching Lambegg CC, Crossgar CC, Crossbows CC etc, I can also remember playing against Cooke CC, Collegians CC, North of Ireland CC and NICS, If you feel that the best way forward for cricket in Northern Ireland is for clubs to fold, then at least do the decent thing and let us know who you are, cause I feel you are in a minority of one.

Gareth McCarter

The Mall

1st May 2014

I think Rob's comments deserve more contempt than reply personally.

Sure its not that awful long since CIYMS were playing in the lowest Senior league and look at them now. Good job they didn't pull out isn't it?

andy kennedy

Costa del Buckna

30th Apr 2014

The transfer of Shane Getkate seems to have slipped under the radar. I can fully appreciate his reasoning in that he hasn't made it to the Leinster inter-pro side so he is going to try his luck in the NCU. However on reflection I feel that behind this type of transfer is the potential to replicate what has happened in Irish rugby. Does this mean that others will follow for similar reasons? And what are the implications for what I describe as 'club' cricket? Will we see the development of "contracted" players being "allocated" to clubs to play when inter-pro committments permit? I can also see a situation where there may be a further "elite" developing where say possibly six clubs will attract the top players and the rest will be left to their own devices as per Ulster club rugby. Let's think of a scenario where the Northern Knights management are approached by a player who wishes to put himself "in the shop window". Will he be directed to what I describe the "big four" Premier clubs? As I said on previous postings over the past few years, the development of the four Provincial sides has led to a sea-change in club rugby - consider the demise of so many erstwhile Senior clubs. I welcome the Inter-Pro competition and look forward to seeing some of it this summer but I wonder if it has been completely thought through.

M. Parks (VCC)

-

30th Apr 2014

Didn't want to mention the runners-up elect Andy!

andy kennedy

Buckna del Sol

29th Apr 2014

I see that Mr. Parkes didn't mention the other side in the Irish Cup Final! COSB!!

M. Parks (VCC)

Section 2 (much to Rob's annoyance!)

29th Apr 2014

I don't think Rob's comments require me to justify the work that goes on on and off the pitch at Victoria to better ourselves. When most cricket fans around the country appreciate the need for more players and as many teams as possible, the suggestion that clubs should fold who are struggling in Section 3 is ridiculous. In fact, the efforts of Dunmurry to continue should be commended. Not so long ago we were struggling to field a first team, and in a short period of time, now manage to field three team, have over 50 active members, a large number 21 or under, who would not have played cricket anywhere if we didn't offer them the opportunity, and are putting plans in place ofr a new ground and a youth section within the next couple of years. I for one hope that no club in the NCU folds,. but struggles through the difficult times and hopefully comes out the other side.

With regards to Victoria being favourites for the drop, I agree. I realise that it will be very difficult for us to stay up. We don't pay anyone to play, and whether we stay up or go down, it will be based on the efforts of players who want to play for the club. Regardless of our position at the end of the season, we can take pride in that. We underperformed on Saturday, there's no doubt about that. But we also, can learn a lot about Drumaness's performance... Cunningham in particular was excellent. Stuck around when he wasn't scoring particularly freely, and in the end, won the game for them! We realise what is required at this level, we can compete at this level, but we may or may not be able to do it consistently enough. If we can't, we'll go back to Section 3 (if Rob allows it to exist!!) and try and come back stronger...

PS A lot of our players are away to watch Glenavon in the Irish Cup Final on Saturday. Hopefully, two defeats in a row doesn't lead Rob to start a petition to have us relegated automatically!!

Jeff Maguire

Dundrum

29th Apr 2014

Rob Just in case you didnt no Drumaness won easy because two ex premier players and very good all rounders had top performances James Cunningham big hundred and a very under rated bowler Neil Gelston ( a must for all fantasy teams scores lots runs wks )and great see Neil go back his home club to keep going what his father carried for so long along with millsy a great village club that like most have struggled but junior clubs will never give up without a fight

rob

belfast

29th Apr 2014

I am afraid you have all missed the point I am trying to make...I am not having a go at any one club or their effects to become "better" I am suggesting that DIV 3 needs looked at...look at the previous 3-4 years and see the teams promoted to DIV2...Donagadee / larne / cregagh / dungannon / portadown etc...where are they now...DIV 3..the yo-yo effect I was talking about...hence the reason why I have suggested that VCC will be back in DIV 3 next year...also BISC beat Saintfield , yes a good result but only 2 years ago there was a relegation game between the 2 to see who would drop to DIV 3...so please do not get carried away with that result.
The difference between the 2 DIV is massive and something needs done. Ii noticed the recent FANTASY league does not include DIV 3 teams...that is what the NCU think of the division!!

David McCormick

East Belfast

28th Apr 2014

Rob,
Have to say you really know your stuff. NOT
You sound like the sort of guy who turns up on a Saturday to get your 'cricket fix' then your off again until the next week. I doubt you spend 4 or 5 nights a week at your club, then a Saturday & Sunday. No, I think your the sort of guy who will leave all the graft to the likes of myself and Graham Watt at Cregagh.
Will we ever find out your surname or indeed real name of even your club? I doubt it.
You run along my friend and keep your narrow minded idiotic opinions of others and others ability to yourself.....

Jeff Maguire

PADDY POWER says ddrum certs for relegation AGAIN

28th Apr 2014

Dundrum cc are 50 years in NCU cricket this year and will have NCU select game to celebrate and also GOLF CLASSIC at Downpatrick golf club Friday 9th may tee off noon /4pm cost 80£ per fourball contact jeff 07730334479 for details ps the ncu select team will consist mainly of junior clubs were we forged many friends in . pps rob what a load of nonsense every team struggles after promotion we have been favourites last five years and have always fought to stay in highest standard we can but unlike your theory rob my club will compete and enjoy the great game of cricket even if we play in section three as will Victoria/ards donaghdee or any club as unlike far too many clubs the above three arnt paying local amateurs silly short term £ when it should be invested in grounds and facilities and before you ask we got a pro to start youth development = under11/13/15/ colts new gangs redressed square last 3 years average score last year 220 when used be 140 and new store /artificial /sightscreens/covers and next on agenda new scorehut. rob do you play or explain more as Victoria don't have pro or pay anyone and have sum the best stalwarts any club could have as do Ards so I find your posts disrespectful to both fine junior clubs.

Graham Watt

Belfast

28th Apr 2014

Hello Rob

You sound like some craic!!

Tell you what, instead of openly slagging off clubs in Division 3 I will openly invite you to Cregagh this week to see the work and effort that goes on in the background of running a club.

Not unlike Ards we have a full youth set up, 3 adult teams and currently supply 3 umpires to the NCU. We have had three young players in the NCU squads with one of our lads captaining the team last year. One of our lads was taking part in training camps during the winter with Ireland.

Now I'm not saying we are special clubs are doing this up and down the country but to suggest that clubs in the league should fold is extremely disrespectful and arrogant.

All clubs go through tough times you just hope that they can get through it not start kicking them when they are down.

Good luck to Victoria this year!

chris

Work

28th Apr 2014

Rob, what a load of rubbish!

Maybe you can let us know what qualifies you to comment on the "professionalism" of my club (Ards CC)and others in the lower leagues?

BISC were promoted into section 2 this season and beat Saintfield away from home in their first fixture of the campaign. Kind of disproves your theory.

There were several teams across the leagues who suffered heavy defeats at the weekend too, maybe we should all just give up and watch the premier league teams play every week instead?