Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Ivan McCombe

Work

15th May 2014

Alan C
Sincere apologies for not getting back to you. Send me your number as I can't find the text although I do remember receiving it. I think Taveners is another great idea clubs should look to embrace although maybe on a regional basis. Even among our enthusiasts I might find it difficult to get a team from Antrim to Pprtadown in a Friday night. Sunday afternoon's are a possibility but cancellations soon put paid to free dates. Let's see if we can do something.

Alan C

Chambers Park

15th May 2014

Ivan.
Great things happening at Moylena for sure, but when I sent you a message asking if you could raise a mixed ability team for a game at Chambers park, you didn't even reply?? Even a bog off, would have been fine. I thought for sure that the most progressive team in NCU would have been able to provide a team.
The Taverners at Portadown are committed to raising the profile of all cricket, especially in the areas of disabled (accessible) cricket, social (Taverners)cricket and women's cricket.
Call me if you can raise a team and we'll arrange a BBQ bash, and raise a few quid for accessible cricket.

Alan C

peeping over your shoulder

15th May 2014

Rob, do you want to cite the sources of your info? "Will be turned into a social league", well Rob that just rolls off the tongue so easily, combined with the elusive 'sources' it almost appears to be an attempt at some kind of authoritative remark.
For years and years I have heard what you have said. It hasn't happened and it won't happen because it can't happen. The simple reason for this is because there is no possibility of migration between jnr and snr leagues. There is no possibility of a 1st XI playing in the jnr leagues and there is no possibility of a jnr (2nd XI) team playing in the 1st division in any section. Sec 3 is already and always has been a 'semi-social' league, some teams are simply happy to play cricket whilst others have higher aspirations. Of course sec 2 teams don't want to be relegated and this generates good competition at each end of the divisions. So there simply has to be a basement league for 1st XI teams. Get rid of sec 3 and then sec 2 becomes 'your' social league. I don't know what the actual solution is but even way back 2001ish Newry and Mourne would have been competitive in a jnr league instead of struggling along in a fairly competitive at the time sec4 until it's eventual death. Portadown could have maintained a competitive team in jnr 3 or even 2 but of course there was some other issues at work there as well.
If you are so keen on commenting 'social cricket' with your derogatory attitude, it's probably about time you attended a mixed abilities cricket match. Rob, you know, it is absolutely clear that you don't have a clue what social cricket actually is!!

Sv. Cricketer

Social level

14th May 2014

'Also who writes this garbage S.V Cricketer...I would be wise in who you call a troll!!'

Harsh words indeed. Almost threatening some would say. Yes you are indeed entitled to your opinion but rather than simply accepting mine as different you have appeared to be rattled and resorted to a personal attack. It is not my fault that people have responded to my writing in a positive way. By all means write your own blog, I'm sure you will be a much better writer than I.

As far as my identity, the majority of people at my 'social' level know who I am. You see I don't just sit behind a computer screen. I am heavily involved in local cricket. I am coaching at a high school, I helped organised a kwik cricket tournament for next week and will be running the follow up coaching. Oh yes I am also captaining both a first and second xi. I hope you continue to read my garbage, the more readers the better. Have a good season.

ROB

Belfast

14th May 2014

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...believe me after speaking to a few people within the NCU DIV 3 will be turned into a "social " league sooner rather than later. According to my sources the 3 DIV above this league is enough and plus they have the junior leagues.
Also who writes this garbage S.V Cricketer...I would be wise in who you call a troll!!

Peter Wood

Recalling the old days

14th May 2014

Re Ivan McCombe
I have read your post with considerable interest and full credit to everybody at Muckamore for making all this happen. I just hope the weather is kind to us all on Saturday as it is usually wet when the NW200 takes place!
I am not entirely sure, however, that cricket is the fastest growing sport in Ireland. Some clubs in Senior League Sections 2 and 3 are probably struggling a bit. Cooke Collegians used to have five teams, now have two. Dunmurry used to have four, now have one. The list can go on and I appreciate that there are exceptions with Academy back up to four teams in recent seasons.
In many ways I see the Premier and other "big" clubs maybe getting larger and the smaller clubs beginning to disappear or playing "social" cricket only. When I played, usually (pretty badly) at 4th eleven level, we had great craic against the 4th elevens of similar clubs. These days the opposition could be anything from a 2nd eleven to 6th eleven.
Even then the weather seemed to be better and nobody whinged about late finishes!

Ivan McCombe

Just back from nets

14th May 2014

This Saturday Muckamore Cricket Club will field five Saturday teams for the first time in their 140 years history.
1sts v Instonians
2nds v Lurgan 2nds Home ( Moylena )
3rds v CLiftonville 2nds Home ( Parkhall College )
4ths v Larne 2nds Home ( Moylena back pitch)
5ths v Carrick 4ths Home ( Antrim Grammar School)

That's four games being played at the same time in Antrim. This in the same week when we have two scheduled Midweek League fixtures, had our first ever Ladies Cricket practice and had over 50 at Junior practice on Monday night despite it raining overhead ( we used the tennis courts ).

Cricket is the fastest growing sport in Ireland and I think it's significant that Muckamore must be the fastest growing club in Ireland at a time when our own Andy Clement is chairman of the NCU and of the Cricket Ireland Cricket committee. Andy sold us the vision of cricket at all levels and next season we would expect to field a sixth Saturday team and by 2020 to have eight teams meaning that their are four games being played in Antrim every Saturday.

We have a growing number of qualified coaches and have invested in the expert coaching of Uel Graham and Stephen Donnelly to enhance player development at both Senior and under age level.

We have a Presidents Day game scheduled for Friday 13th June which will allow us to " sell the club" to the wider community and act as a day to thank our growing list of sponsors.

I have been involved in cricket since 1971 as a player, captain, supporter, spectator, committee member, Grasshopper but I have never experienced a buzz or known of a buzz at a club like we have at Moylena right now.

We have two affiliated umpires in Andy and Johnny Kennedy and in Michael Kennedy the most enthusiastic , hard working, keen to learn up and coming groundsman in the country who is starting to see the fruits of his labour with fast and true pitches at Moylena and a lightning fast outfield.

Response

Sounds great Ivan, looking forward to visiting Moylena later in the season!

Noel McCarey

Saintfield

12th May 2014

Urgently required by Saintfield Cricket Club one full time / part time coach for Saintfield's junior section.
All enquiries will be welcome.
Noel McCarey
Chairman Saintfield Cricket Club

matthew

pissed off office

10th May 2014

It would be nice for captains to phone to tell teams that the game is off instead of a text and at a reasonable time not when teams are meeting to leave

Roger Bell

Assistant Director

9th May 2014

Re : Starting times

Starting times are currently one of the main items being discussed by the Domestic Cricket Development Directorate. A paper is currently being prepared which will give clubs a range of options to give us their opinions on. If a majority of clubs are in favour of a change, it will then be our intention to prepare a notice of motion for the AGM

Brian Kelso

Roughfort

8th May 2014

I find it astonishing that a recent 2nd XI game was allowed to be postponed as one of the clubs had 3 players picked for an NCU Under 15 representative game. I can’t find this ruling in the NCU book. The club in question has 3 teams and how they couldn’t find 3 replacements is beyond me. They appealed directly to the NCU management board rather than the league secretary – I wonder why. Shame on the club in question and shame on the NCU for such a ruling.

Ryan McCarter

The Mall

7th May 2014

R.E Start times

After the latest fuss r.e start times is it going to be another case of all talk no action, why does a club not bring it to the A.G.M? Until someone does that newspaper reporter rants are pointless, citing "lack of initiative from captains" is pretty feeble, why would they disadvantage themselves agreeing to earlier start times?

I have always felt schools matches should be played exclusively on week day afternoons with Friday evenings left for club youth cricket. Players and coaches alike dont want to be heading away at 8am on a Saturday morning to play. Time to get this issue sorted or will it be a talking point this time next season?

C Boomer

Home

6th May 2014

The ideas for all my little stories are of course inspired by many cricket games/occurrences that one tends to be involved in as the seasons pass by from year to year and the fascinating people you tend to meet along the way.

And so with my latest piece of poetry there's no exception, very happy to report that both clubs mentioned therein have since gone on from strength to strength and the official gentleman who guessed the occasion with a surprise appearance, helped make the whole affair a very worthwhile exercise indeed; on his own at this particular match but nevertheless a colossus, he was.....

The Lone Umpire!

Mark this and mark it well,

for it was a fine, upstanding deed

he journeyed far to ring the bell,

so that others may succeed!

‘Twas with rumours rife of ill-health

a sporting constitution in decline

that some chose the sanctuary of wealth

rather than dig in and mark time!

But two cricket clubs of noted invention

each from nearby boarding lands

knew cure was better than suspension

thus set about employing new hands!

They called a game, a friendly match

betwixt the other, by the factory ground

encouraging all to play, bat, bowl and catch

And to this venue, folk flocked from all around!

A problem then became apparent

organized chaos may ensue

but fears allayed by the arrival of a gent

dressed in a smart attire, of navy blue!

Proceedings quickly fell into place

those unsure, soon got it right

for he guided each with a smiling face

as they learned to joist, with this noble knight!

Now all are not born with a midas touch

though deserving a fair chance

and the lone umpire knew as such

that’s why he took this forthright stance!

So if your club should become unmanned

don’t just crouch and hide behind the door

negate with resources found at hand

then like the lone umpire, you will know; ‘Esprit de corps’!

andy kennedy

dreich Buckna

5th May 2014

Ivan - I have no problem backing change. Everything must evolve but I was trying to flag up the implications. I am certain that there are a considerable number of clubs where "social" cricket is the ethos and resources are such that they can never aspire to be in the "top 4". I also see from today's Newsletter that the question of 1:00 p.m. starts is being raised!! Now where have we heard this before?!.

Alan C

Chambers Park

4th May 2014

Rob, you indicated that Portadown folded because they lacked professionalism. What an absolutely silly remark to make. There were a lot of factors that clearly you are ignorant of, which led to Portadown folding. Unless you know the full details, you really should keep your silly backward opinions to yourself.