Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

bronwell williams

cape town, South Africa

23rd Jan 2014

34 year old SA Level 3 player/ coach looking for another stint as player/ coach or club coach abroad. have over 10 seasons experience of playing& coaching in UK& Ireland. updated Sporting CV available for your perusal. get in touch

andy kennedy

Buckna

22nd Jan 2014

Stephen - I wish you would read the content of my postings - not your perception of what has been written. I recognised the increase by Monaghan & Muckamore but perhaps you could explain to me how 2 teams "rejoining" the League is true expansion. As for negativity about England - where have you been for the last couple of months?! Or maybe you see some positives that the rest of us are missing!

Stephen Hughes

Work

22nd Jan 2014

Andy,

Wouldn't be like you to put a negative spin on something positive happening within the NCU!!

Just focus that negativity on England!!

andy kennedy

Buckna

22nd Jan 2014

I don't quite share the europhia displayed on the NCU site about the expansion of new teams. While it is good to see cricket being developed in Monaghan the reappearence of Cliftonville 3rds (anyone remember them as Dunowen?) and Carrick 4ths is only a retrenchment of sides that folded a while ago. However, its good to see them back. Maybe Tonto will be persuaded to be captain again! Now that would give me the incentive to start playing again!! On a different tack, I was at a Sports Lunch with George Hook yesterday and while he is a rugby pundit, he was complimenting cricket in general on the selection of captains. His point was that one doesn't have to be a great player to be a great captain and he referred to Mike Brearley in particular. Interesting to hear this from a guy who can be a bit outspoken on almost everything!!

Paul Digney

Belfast

21st Jan 2014

1.CIYMS
2.Waringstown
3.Instonians
4.CSNI
5.North Down
6.Lisburn
7.Ballymena
8.Muckamore

Paul Clarke

Ards

21st Jan 2014

Re Dan

Does Gavin Rogers actually coach any of the junior section at north down?

Very true about the pros and their appears to have been some useful signings in this regard. Van der Dussen at CIYMS looks the star signing but both the muckamore pro and ballymena pro could win games on their own.

Any other transfers happening? Butterworth to Muckamore is one that is doing the rounds. If this is true this should help them.

My predictions:-

1.North Down
2.Waringstown
3.CIYMS
4.Instonians
5.Lisburn
6.CSNI
7. Muckamore
8. Ballymena

Clarence Hiles

HQ

21st Jan 2014

I'm always intrigued by predictions mainly because club loyalties sometimes cloud reality. Also, the variables, not least form and weather. The top isn't all that difficult to predict but the bottom is a much different picture. With that in mind the UC will donate a bottle of champagne to the person who predicts the exact finishing position of all 8 teams. If a tiebreaker is needed the winner will be the prediction received and published first.

Dan

Sky Bet HQ

21st Jan 2014

John,

I dont think what CI and Waringstown are doing is anything new, as North Down have had Gavin Rogers in this role for a few years now and Inst had Wilcox a couple of seasons ago and maybe Eugene will fill a similar type role this season having hung the boots up. But I do have to agree that it is a positive for those clubs, as players throughout the whole of both clubs will benefit.

League predictions...so hard to say at this point, and I think that a lot rests with how well the new pros to the Premier League adapt to unfamiliar Ulster conditions!

I will go for :

1. Waringstown
2. Inst
3. CIYMS
4. North Down
5. CSNI
6. Lisburn
7. Muckamore
8. Ballymena

John Price

Banbridge

20th Jan 2014

Not much chat on here about transfer rumours regarding the Premier League and who will be favourites this year?

Congratulations to Waringstown on employing a coach for the coming season. With CIYMS having recently also having advertised for a Head Coach for this season surely both clubs should be commended for their forward thinking?

My Premier League Predictions

1.Waringstown
2.CSNI
3.Instonians
4.North Down
5.CIYMS
6.Lisburn
7.Ballymena
8.Muckamore

Wendy Penny

Cheshire

18th Jan 2014

On behalf of myself, our mother, my sister and the extended Cooke family circle we would like to thank you all for the many lovely comments and messages of support about our father Eric Cooke. Cricket was one of the big loves of his life xx

andy kennedy

Buckna

15th Jan 2014

Saddened to learn of Tom McCloy's death. One of a remarkable family who were lynchpins of the vintage Lisburn teams. A true gentleman and a cracking player.

bronwell williams

cape town, South Africa

14th Jan 2014

34 year old SA Level 3 player/ coach looking for another stint as player/ coach or club coach abroad. have over 10 seasons experience of playing& coaching in UK& Ireland. updated Sporting CV available for your perusal. get in touch.

Clarence Hiles

HQ

9th Jan 2014

Sincere condolences to the family of top North-West umpire Eric Cooke on their sad loss. Eric's popularity extended far beyond his native North-West as he was well known and respected throughout Irish cricket.
May he Rest in Peace
JCH

Andy McCrea

Ballyclare

7th Jan 2014

Dear all

RE - coach education

Just to let you know of a few spaces still available on the Cricket Coach Education course below.

You do not have to have previously taken a Level 1 qualification to be available for this course.

This is a good opportunity for you or your club to progress coaching knowledge.

CERTIFICATE FOR COACHING YOUNG PEOPLE & ADULTS ( replacing old level 2 )

Week 1 - 25th Jan,
Week 2 - 1st Feb,
Week 3 - 15th Feb
Week 4 - 29th Mar

All sessions are 0930-1630 at University of Ulster, Jordanstown

You must be 17 or over on the first day to attend this course.
Cost = £200

If interested - please contact Stephen Moreton on stephen.moreton@cricketireland.ie
For more info use the link below
http://www.northerncricketunion.org/database/2013/news/articles/article342.shtm

Neil Fullerton

Ballymena

7th Jan 2014

Happy New Year to everyone associated with the NCU.
A date for your diaries.

Ballymena Cricket Club Golf Day at the wonderful Galgorm Castle Golf Club on Friday, July 4.
Afternoon tee times available - £30 per person. £120 per four ball. £10 for members of Galgorm Castle Golf Club.
Great course, great prizes, some special guests and hopefully some great weather! Food available on request.
To book a tee time or for more details contact Neil Fullerton on 07866511746 or Simon McDowell on 07984547333.
See you all in July! Thanks