Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Billy Dobbin

Lisburn

10th Jul 2014

I think that the player being registered for that club and having played for them in that season is as good as a contract and other clubs wishing to speak to them should have to go through the proper channels.

R.E Nile Smith yes I am aware it was a 1 run defeat but im looking more at the other hammerings Muckamore and indeed Ballymena have suffered this season. I have heard from several sources Muckamore are paying out over 20k on hired guns, who im sure arent too worried about the progress of the 2nds and 3rds!
Eventually no clubs will want into the Premier League because of the funds needed to even compete.

Clarence Hiles

At the Devil's Advocate Arms

9th Jul 2014

Billy,
The 'tapping' of players has been around for a long time and isn't reserved to cricket but most sports. We can't stop it but we can regulate it and the first thing that needs to be done is for players to actually sign a contract. To the best of my knowledge all players don't so they are free agents and can come and go as they like as long as their subs are paid. If they were contracted it might be different. Also, if a player moves to a bigger club perhaps the 'losers' should be compensated with a transfer fee.

Nile Smith

On a bench at moylena

9th Jul 2014

Billy Dobbin
Well the gap in the match you mention was 1 run, so not wide at all!
And as for "an extensive financial outlay" i don't have your knowledge or what criteria you employ.
Anyway i'm just a member there - it's a great family club- but the 2nds are unbeaten, 3rds in cup final, new 5XI and ladies XI programme plus every week they promote loads of youth family charity and community events. I think you've got to see the bigger picture for ncu cricket and give them a balanced scorecard.

Billy Dobbin

Lisburn

9th Jul 2014

I really think the subject of "tapping up" and approaches to players mid season has to stop, surely if a player signs on for a club for a season it is very inappropriate for officials from other clubs to making approaches and financial offers. Many of these officals hold office in the N.C.U which makes it even more concerning.

Unfortunately it is not a new phenomenon in local sport but seeing it happen in cricket leaves a bitter after taste.

tanya duncan

belfast

8th Jul 2014

thank you all for your kinds words on dad tom duncan...indeed a great kind hearted man who loved and breathed cricket, right to the end.
im sure you have a few stories to tell which im sure are funny, and indeed the late stewart mccormick another good crickerer sadly missed
on behalf of the family we wish to thank everyone who knew him and played cricket with him and that we truly appreciate.
tanya duncan

Billy Dobbin

Lisburn

8th Jul 2014

Sounds like an eventful game at Moylena at the weekend. James Kennedy must in hot water? Muckamore and their extensive financial outlay have only succeeded in showing just how big the gap is between the sections.

Simon Burrowes

Caravan in Yorkshire

7th Jul 2014

Very sorry to hear the news about Tom. He was a lovely man indeed but, let's not kid ourselves, an absolute pain to face! Ball on the right length every time, one going this way, one going that. And if you thought you could just see him off you couldn't, at least not in the days when I started and a bowler could bowl all 25 from one end or 30 in the cup. I'm not sure what else Tom did in his life (I'm sure it was plenty) but all I know is he bowled and bowled and bowled and bowled. I'm really sorry to hear this news and I send my best, for what that might be worth, to his kith and kin.

Cecil Johnston

Ex YMCA Cricket Club

6th Jul 2014

Tom Duncan.
Very sorry to hear of the passing of Tom who was a very fine cricketer and a real gentleman. I had the privilege of playing with Tom for many years at YMCA CC in Belfast and can well remember him opening the bowling and often bowling 25 overs straight through ( no restrictions in those days ) I kept wicket and dear help you - or anybody else for that matter - if you dropped a catch off his bowling !! He was not too pleased I can tell you.
Great days at YMCA with Tom bowling at one end and another wonderful bowler - the late Stewart McCormick opening at the other end. No club professionals in those days being paid to play - just many fine cricketers playing for the love of the game and their club.
In recent times whilst umpiring at Dundrum I would often meet Tom and talk about the game as it is today compared to the time we played - great times indeed.
Tom will be greatly missed by all who knew him. My deepest sympathy to all his family circle.
Rest in peace Tom.

Simon Hughes

LVCC

5th Jul 2014

Golf day at Loughgall Golf Club on Friday 8th August 2pm shotgun start followed by BBQ and Live music at the club afterwards. £25 per person. No handicap required. All Welcome to BBQ and music for £10. If interested please contact us via Facebook message or email laurelvalecc@hotmail.co.uk

tanya duncan

belfast

5th Jul 2014

Funeral took place on the 5th a quiet and peaceful service that tombo would have appreciated he lived and died a peaceful and quiet gentleman God bless him....
Tom Duncan 1935---- 2104

Clarence Hiles

HQ

2nd Jul 2014

Tom Duncan
Sad to hear that Tom has passed away and I'm sure there are plenty of older cricketers who can recall playing against him in YMCA days and later. I had the pleasure of playing against him and he was a lovely man with a great passion for the game. I recall he was a fine bowler who proved much too good for me!
Sincere condolences to his family.
Rest in Peace Tom.

tanya duncan

belfasr

2nd Jul 2014

Tom Duncan died peacefully in the Ulster hospital 1st July 2014.
his funeral will be held at the crematorium at roselawn at 2pm Saturday 5th July donations to be given to Marie carie cancer
a fine gentleman with a big heart
will be sadly missed by all his family

Godfrey Duncan

Bangor

2nd Jul 2014

Tom Duncan passed away peacefully july 1st in the Ulster hospital.

Bryan Milford

NCU

1st Jul 2014

Godfrey

I have an excellent picture of the Ulidia team that won the Junior Cup in 1953 that your Dad is in.

Give me a ring on 07828 182090.

A lot of us are thinking about him at this time.

Jeremy Burrows

Cooke CC

1st Jul 2014

Re: Tom Duncan

Godfrey I think I might have one from the mid-80s, I'll have a look for you