Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Clarence Hiles

HQ

2nd Aug 2014

Thanks Staffy.
I'm still not sure what you are saying about 10 v 8. Are you saying more teams in the premier section allows more teams to develop at the higher level?
I agree 100% with the sentiments in your last paragraph as indeed many people should but cricket these days is a completely new world than 20 years ago. Also, on player movement I had a quick look at the transfers and the overwhelming number of transfers are outside the premier league. Some of those in it are cosmetic. We know some players have moved for money but perhaps the problem is not as big as it could be. After all each team can only field 11 players!
Good to hear your views. Anybody out there support 8 teams? After all 2/3 of the union voted for it at the AGM.

Graham Watt

under the covers

2nd Aug 2014

Thanks for the kind words Colin we are merely trying to mirror what clubs like templepatrick have done as well as derriaghy

For us that is the model to follow. Hopefully see you next week for that friendly match

Jareth

Home

2nd Aug 2014

In response to Davy McC - I totally understand that 15 odd overs was reduced to 2.2 overs under DL and that the cut off point of actually 6.11 meant that the remainder of the full game was not possible - even though light and conditions were fine. However the regulations were implemented to the letter as both captains acknowledged. The regulations are in fact very sensible. Say for example we got back on at 7.30 the final 15 overs could not have been completed - would you suggest the final 5 overs on Monday. It is in fact a very sensible regulation - although may not always seem that way - but you simply can't make up regulations for each individual game situation

andy kennedy

balmy Buckna

1st Aug 2014

For the benefit of those who don't read the CI forum I repeat my comments about being in the NW last weekend. It was interesting to see a "junior" club - Killyclooney - had an electronic scoreboard that functioned perfectly - no brush in sight!. Clearly the money is being invested in the right direction. And an (Easy)jetsetter late for today's Cup Final!! Really have fears as to where our game is going

andy kennedy

Buckna

1st Aug 2014

I have already posted comments on Paul Stafford's posting on the "other" forum but he is absolutely correct. By the way Nile - in your posting about Muckamore you forgot to mention the number of umpires that Moylena is providing. Just thought I'd mention this. I don't speak for NIACUS but when one looks at the sides who are topping the Premier League vis-a-vis the club affiliation of umpires there appears to be a little disparity.

Davy McD VCC

Feeling robbed of a great climax to the game

1st Aug 2014

Home after watching a thrilling game of cricket unfold in the NCU's "showpiece" turn into a farce as with the game delicately poised for reasons unknown to the cricketing fan that had attended despite a poor forecast, was turned into a farce due to the shameful cut off time of 6.15.
Congratulations to CSNI for winning the trophy, but if we are to try and encourage people to attend the game, common sense MUST prevail.

Colin Latham

Apologies for the second post.

1st Aug 2014

re Paul Stafford - its a while since I have played but having umpired a few games over the last 2 seasons and watching games on almost every Saturday/Sunday of the season you have hit the nail on the head - lack of respect, sledging and no sense of fun.

Clubs need to be investing (time not money) in youth and instilling values of respect on top of wanting to win. Excellent youth set ups like Cregagh should be lauded and the kids playing there hopefully will stay and help Cregagh rise through the leagues. There are other good clubs out there too but what is the point of playing in a team if you look around a dressing room and 6/7 or more of your team mates are only there because they are getting a few quid. Invest in kids and your grounds. The better players I assume will still want to play if they are not paid or will they take to the golf course and earn a few £ there?

I cannot comment on 8/10 team leagues nor cricket development officer but it is clear from even a cursory glance of the lower & Junior leagues that clubs need to step back and take a look as we have went from all clubs fielding U15/13/11s plus 3or 4 senior teams to what is currently looking a bit sparse in terms of fixtures.

Much like Andy Kennedy these are my own views and not those of NIACUAS nor Templepatrick.

Colin Latham

Templepatrick

1st Aug 2014

Hi folks, I am helping out with Templepatrick Under 13 B's this season and am looking to pencil in a few more B fixtures in August. We have a squad of 22 at Under 13s this year and are very keen to get all of the boys playing as many matches as possible. I have emailed everyone mentioned in the Fixture book but would be happy to travel if anyone out there can provide a fixture. If so please text me on 07837413222.

Paul Stafford

Waringstown

1st Aug 2014

Clarence
You asked the question 'What is the benefit of 10 teams over 8?'
You can follow that logic through: What is the of 8 teams over 6 (good argument at the moment)? or 6 teams over 4, or 4 teams or 2? Where do we stop?

What is that really matters? The strength of North Down, Waringstown, CIYMS, Instonians and CSN or the strength of the NCU as a whole?

Should we care if Downpatrick, Lurgan Bangor, Carrickfergus, Woodvale and Cliftonville (all recent top flight clubs) dwindle and diminish?

If those clubs continue to have their best players cherry picked then other remaining good players tend to quit rather than join another club. The gap widens to the point that they no longer can compete. At this point the club merely exists rather than having any great driving ambition to move forward.

Those clubs that do want to move forward are left with no choice but to throw money at it. Helping young players develop is a long term strategy and won't yield results short term. In the meantime top clubs can pick off those young players and pass them off as their own in a few years if they succeed. If not well no loss if they drift away from the game, someone else is bound to produce a cricketer for us.

Thus we have the law of the jungle. 8 team top league has shown very quickly that the top players go to the top clubs. That was exactly what it set out to achieve. But at what cost?

League fixture are sacrificed for 20 over competitions and Ulster Cup/Shield competitions that by and large people and players don't take that seriously.

Let's grow the Union for the benefit of all clubs not just a few. Let's create space to develop young players so the sport here has a future rather than for the benefit of the mercenaries with their hands held out.

Char McCrum

Lurgan

31st Jul 2014

It's good to hear from Staffy again. Some good comments. Where do you start on these issues?
In agreement with the 10 teams 100%. Why should there only be a couple of teams fighting it out at the bottom. Obviously clubs do have their own interests at stake. Lurgan will see themselves in a similar situation if they go up as in 2013. They brought in a second and third overseas player to try and stay in the top league and probably will do the same again. In their defence however, they are no worse than any of some of the top teams who do it for success.
It's hard to understand any of it coming from my background. Dinosaur, has been and washed up are all comments thrown at me in the lower sections, but everyones entitled to play the odd game and have an opinion. I come from a village which didn't need a pro, played with great successful teams like Lurgan, North Down and Strabane who only had one overseas player so could somebody please explain to me what's going on in local club cricket. Maybe the prize money has increased dramatically because the crowds certainly have not.

Ryan McCarter

Armagh

31st Jul 2014

Totally agree with Paul Staffords post in its entirety... apart from about the NCU Development Ofiicer, he has been down at Armagh several times and has a real interest and passion for the job if the clubs want to work with him. Running about after Kwik Cricket tournaments, youth coaching and Ladies cricket isnt the most glamourous of roles but it shouldn't go unnoticed.

Gareth Evans

Belfast

31st Jul 2014

Clarence I'm not too sure about the 8 team league better preparing players for rep. cricket because as Staffy points out a lot of these players are coming through passport control. A 10 team league would at least give the bottom 5 sides a chance of a few victories when they play one another. Whereas at the moment the bottom 2 in the Premier League are getting stuffed week in week out, and as we all know getting beaten week after week is no fun at all.

Don't even get me started about Cricket Ireland!!

C Boomer

Home

31st Jul 2014

Just noticed the last word of the second line of the last stanza should read ..
'' throng '

Typo error, my mistake !

Clarence Hiles

HQ

31st Jul 2014

Please support Neale's appeal regarding the Graham Cup Final. Well done both teams, but particularly Cregagh who have struggled in the past few years but appear to be fighting back at all levels. I'm sure several premier clubs would be delighted to have a team in the Graham Cup Final.
Good luck to both teams.

Clarence Hiles

Sitting on the fence

31st Jul 2014

Have to agree Gareth, Staffy has hit a lot of contentious things on the head. Not sure how to deal with some of them particularly the money involved as I think it is madness in the current environment. If I could highlight one point Staffy where is the benefit of 10 clubs over 8? Like many people I was swayed by the argument that the best should play the best to prepare players for representative cricket and I think that has been achieved. There are at least six competitive teams at the top as opposed to three a few years ago. Bringing another two weaker teams into the fray doesn't convince me we are moving in the right direction. However, I'm willing to listen to your argument as I did with the pro-8 advocates a couple of years ago.