Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Graham Watt

Lisburn

3rd Sep 2014

Hi Jeff

Interesting point, and it is something we have discussed. Just to provide a bit of background, in our last two games of the season the average of our 1st XI team was 20.8. All but 2 of the players on the field had come through our youth teams.

When asked about 50 over cricket the young lads response was luke warm at best, and dont get me wrong these lads love the game but times are changing and I for one was surprised by the response.

For what its worth and this is my own opinion not Cregagh CC, maybe 45 overs would suit better. Some people might think what difference does 5 overs make but for me personally I think this would soften the blow of going to 50 overs.

Im sure all the traditionalists will reply with the usual rhetoric about killing the game and in my day but this is where we are folks, do we innovate and move forward or stay still???

Roger Bell

Home

3rd Sep 2014

Re: Jeff Maguire

The NCU Chairman, Vice Chairman and Domestic Cricket Development Director are meeting with Section 2 and 3 clubs next Wednesday night to discuss various issues, so if there is any interest among clubs in reducing these leagues to 40 overs it could be discussed at that meeting.

Ryan McCarter

The Mall

3rd Sep 2014

R.E Jeff Maguire

Armagh proposed last year to cut Section 2 down to 40 overs after canvassing opinion from players in most other teams during the 2013 season. Then at the AGM it was knocked down by the club reps/administrators who surely should be finding out their players opinions and then vote accordingly.

jeff maguire

roll on next spring TWO TOURS PLANNED FOR JUNIORS

2nd Sep 2014

Dundrum cc have proposed to NCU AGM that section two is 40 overs (trial for year see if clubs like the format ) id be very keen for all the clubs playing this sat in this section and larne and cregaghs OPINION so if possible ask the clubs on sat ? As great chance ask the players they are the ones that matter as in my opinion not enough consultation between players and its usually a voting farce at the agm .id even go step farther and get each club voting in each section for what there club requires to help the players stay in the game a lot longer .

Graham Watt

under the covers

31st Aug 2014

Hi Jeff

Just one wee note our under 15s toured a while back. Its a great idea and the lads loved it.

You know us Cregagh lads we love a tour

Gareth Evans

Beggs&Partners!!

29th Aug 2014

I have to say I agree with John Stevenson's post up until his slight 'toy throwing' at the end. I fail to see how highlighting any clubs lack of basic facilities could be considered as playground behaviour. My own Club needs several obvious improvements but we are striving to rectify this ASAP, and there is no chance of us spending money on players at the expense of these improvements. Whilst we will all defend our own club to the hilt surely we can take on board a little criticism when it is warranted. The 'toilet' issue to which I referred has been ongoing ever since the ground was opened. I know plenty of good plumbers if John wants to contact me!!!

C Boomer

Looking forward to a game tomorrow !

29th Aug 2014

Fair enough Editor, perhaps I'd be better off just sticking to the poetry and not becoming embroiled and out of my depth in the politics and machinations of fine game at the higher levels?
( No such scenarios in junior league 9 )

Ps.. My sincere thanks for permitting my poetic scribbles about the game on the site here, surprising how many other websites have placed a most draconian curfew on my musings ? Much appreciated indeed !

Response

Caleb, all your contributions are equally welcome!
IPS

C Boomer

Home

29th Aug 2014

'pros', professionals, coaches, mavericks, mercenaries, money-chasers !

To reiterate and clarify, the context of the above words used in my previous post but one, are in no way to be interpreted as a slur or meant to discredit any individual cricketer(s) or their reputations, who may or may not be in receipt of a few pounds for playing and participating in something they are obviously fine exponents off and enjoy doing!

The crux of my choice of words are directed at the policy makers, committee members and faceless bureaucrats at any particular given club whatever the case, who choose to seek/gain unfair advantage over their fellow competitors/rivals by waving a tempting, lucrative carrot stick over and aboard the guidelines and rules as per Union regulations!

Indeed for further clarification should one be tempted to go down this avenue, look back a page or two on this site and read/re-read my latest analogy ' The Mayor of Kilgore' to glean full appreciation of the errors, pitfalls and folly of such ill-advised actions!

Response

"over and aboard the guidelines and rules as per Union regulations!"
As far as I am aware Caleb, and I know there are some 'T&C's', the key regulation is that each team may play a maxiumum of one player who is not eligible to play for Ireland...

JEFF

LOL that calpol must be stronger than i thought

29th Aug 2014

IPS just think Strangford road is perfect amphitheatre and far more atmosphere their but I do love the GREEN (only ground in NCU I never played at ) ID HAVE CLOSED DATE and no matter where played id make it a date 90% club cricketers would want see the best in ncu go battle and if might just tell them how make it proper day out for everyone .IF top 4 in section one entered the premier yes still be lots one sided games but definitely be far more competitive that present set up and it actually save lots clubs £ and think you find their is lot better judges that me think it can work and very few players would leave their beloved club and would stop nonsense of teams scared of going up into premier in present structure . YES might take couple seasons to bed in but imagine the interest of the bottom six fighting out every week and yes the top six still be strong but id bet that lots clubs players be happier with 10 or 12 that present 8 (altho stats show its only6). Have say what NCU is doing at junior cricket winter nets tours to South Africa etc is fantastic so MASSIVE CREDIT to everyone especially coaching staff

jeff

FREE ENTRY ALL IRELAND INTERNATIONALS FOR UMPIRES

29th Aug 2014

Dundrum have been favourites for relegation from entering section one and yes this year we have been pi$$ poor with the pro being injured and very poor commitment and deservedly relegated but we knew this day was coming hence 6 years ago got overseas coaches to rebuild. The club has built a superb machinery store double sight screens covers made car park bigger and plans extend the boundary in two areas artificial wicket and lots small improvements that go along with improving all the facilities at the ground and we will continue to strive to upgrade as many things as possible . Dundrum might be down but like all in sport its how you get up again that's important .Think we were the only club in NORTH that took under 15 on tour and ran Indian touring team playing 5 matches in the area the NCU can only help us improve the game we all love but every club has a duty to get their clubs improved I for one am proud of how we are progressing even with relegation (even was happy to strip of ala Freddie Flintoff after BEATING Saintpatrick last week .) PS TAYTO still aint paid that 40£ BET lol and I would bet him 400£ we wouldn't win last week with 8 under 20s playing so future is still bright but lot more work to be done and I must sat STRANGFORD ROAD WAS IN SUPERP CONDITION LAST WEEK now that's two games that I will miss as cant beat derby games .pps thank got she is awake my finger sore typing.

Jeff Maguire

still sleeping

29th Aug 2014

Dundrum and myself have been ANTI PRO for over 20 years = wish we hadn't as we be lot stronger now as in 6 years we have now colts /15/13/11 all through having overseas coaches so had starter it long time ago as without juniors comin thru clubs will fold . Templepatrick/Cregagh /Donaghcloney have got great junior sections not because they pay fortunes to player simply because the have great structures and building future generations of fine players for what ever standard the can aspire too. IF pros were banned id still raise lots £ for coaching as that's were the £ needs spent not on paying silly £ to players who don't give toss on building a team club.We need to understand when the present crop of STALWARTS especilaay in all clubs below premier retire or pass on their is NO CHANCE that juniors will take on this role as the lives that they have is far removed from what we have .Think Paul Stafford has lot of really valid points and like everyone is entitled to his opinion as played at highest level and knows the game inside out .

jeff maguire

hope no more rain tonight want season over

29th Aug 2014

John AGREE 100% The games against north west are superb (and we aint beat any them yet). This my own opinion and hopefully someone will listen if games don't start at 11/12 latest below premier in 1 or 2 decades their will be far less 2nd/3rd/4th teams as ive played 43 years and if was starting now I wouldn't last 10 years as the constant double headers 200 OVER WEEKENDS are turning lots away from game not mention ruining family life marriages etc(yes fine if you SINGLE). ID GO WITH 12 IN PREMIER on the same basis as john stated with only one relegated that way the bottom six wont have throw loads of WASTED£ on trying just to stay in premier also the bottom six would have no problem trying keep players jumping clubs just trying earn few £ . WIN PREMIER =500£ so its madness throwing lots£ to win half a grand .No doubt Andy Clement and rest trying brilliantly to keep all clubs involved my biggest rant is how can Waringstown vote for what Dunmurry section 3 needs or VICE VERSA (that's not dig at either club) .THE AGM is out dated as large proportion have no interest in lots proposals and vote hilariously = seen one club vote 2 for 2 against get each section to vote on what is best for their section an clubs particular needs? Dundrum have proposed 40 over game in section 2/3 to try in for one year if the clubs in them sections don't like it revert back (id bet lots £ that 95% clubs score the same amount runs). UMPIRES the present competition rules are a joke as I think 8 different sets regulations = I would love umpire but id need go night school to keep up with everything changing get back to basics .Cricket is simple game see ball hit ball now we have power plays silly inner discs how umpires keep going amazes me as without them and groundsmen we have no game as both get paid a pittance compared to soccer etc .ps baby sitting grandchild if she sleeps ill have few more rants . starting with DISGRACE THE SENIOR CUP NOT PLAYED ON SATURDAY AND CLOSED DATE =STRANGFORD ROAD if I was involved id increase the gate 300% and make it a day that spectators and more importantly that every SPONSOR WOULD BE LOOKING THROW £ AT CRICKET .SHOOSH chloe go sleep

Response

I like your 12 teams then split idea Jeff but not so fond of taking the Challenge Cup final away from The Green!

ivan mccombe

at home listening to the rain

29th Aug 2014

John Stevenson mightn't say a lot but when he does I think we should listen.

David Edwards

Positively tropical Belfast

28th Aug 2014

The ice bucket challenge shouldn't be a real challenge to someone living in b**l freezing Buckna.

John stevénson

Belfast

27th Aug 2014

Some really valid points re how we improve the standard of cricket in the ncu.

I do think the premier league needs reviewed - to have a scenario where clubs don't particularly want promoted and are then having to overhaul their team to attempt to stay in the league is surely not what we want. I think perhaps with the current scenario we should move back to a 10 team league. My thoughts - Each team plays the others once and then the league is split into the top 5 and bottom 5. Each team then plays the other 4 teams once and then potentially there is a top two decider to win the league and one team automatically relegated. The 8th and 9th team then have a playoff with the loser the second team to go down - I think this would really raise the attention on the league and keep everyone interested for as long as possible, with a great climax to the season.
I do like the mix of competitions we have at present and I think it would be a mistake to lose opportunities to play against other unions. We also need to ensure that there is space in the diary for the interpros. Any more league games than 14 per season is too much to include all the competitions and the interpros if you consider our ridiculous weather.
Solving the financial issues is never going to happen. There will always be clubs with more money than others. How they decide to spend that money is up to them in my opinion. If their facilities are not good players will not play their best and they are penalising themselves - however that is their choice. I will say that I agree the money being spent seems to be over the top and could be more wisely spent.
I have to say for individuals to come on the forum and be critical of the facilities of my club or any club is unhelpful. Our scoreboard is better than yours or our teas are better than yours feels a bit like we are regressing back to the school playground.