Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Jason Maxwell

Work

15th Sep 2014

Hi Stuart like yourself I don’t post on this very often. But will answer your questions yes I am the very same Jason Maxwell that was originally picked to play for the 3rds against your 3rds at the Gordon then on the Friday night before the 1st XI had a cry off so I played for them on the Saturday the 3rds had 10 men so when the 1sts game was finished early yes I went to the 3rds game I did bowl but didn’t bat!!! And with regards to your very young thirds from memory there was 4 or 5 adults playing where myself and Alan woods were the only players in our team over 17 although that is irrelevant!!! Hope this answers any quieries you may have had, but fail to see the relevance to my post??? Me standing in the field for the 1sts as a cardboard cut out for a few overs is hardly the same as 4 or 5 guys who either bat top 6 or/and bowl for their 1s playing in a game for their 2s???

Stuart I think Cregagh is a great club and you have to be commended with your youth set up etc

p.s. as its been brought up how many people can say they played 2 games of cricket in one day and were home for 2.30pm???

Neill Harvey

Victoria Cricket Club

14th Sep 2014

On behalf of Victoria Cricket Club I would just like to thank "Rob from Belfast" for basically calling us useless and telling us to fold. The words of arrogant, opinionated people can always work as a major motivator for clubs like ourselves. He said we were sure thing to go down, well we didnt - shows what he knows - didly squat!!

Davy McD VCC

enjoying my hangover

14th Sep 2014

"Victoria have no chance of staying up....very poor show by them considering they have had months to prepare...as I have said before DIV 3 should be scrapped as there are very few teams ( maybe 2 ) who can be promoted and stay up...just seen the ards vs dunmurry result from Sunday, proves a point I think.
Teams in DIV 3 need to make a choice , be more professional or fold...as portadown did last year."

Just a wee quote from "Rob from Belfast" on 28th April, ahh well, sorry to disappoint you, and if the rumours are true that Monaghan are looking at starting a second 11 next year, great news.
(oh and of the 11 that played for our firsts yesterday 6 were 25 or under and there were a couple of players in that age bracket not available and a couple of teenagers that we are hoping will be firsts players in the next couple of years. We have no intention of folding and hope that no other club does either.

Stuart Catterson

East Belfast

14th Sep 2014

Re Jason Maxwell posting.
Jason I don't comment on the forum very often but I had to respond to yours. Are you the same Jason Maxwell who played for your clubs 1sts and because the game ended very very early (I think it was against Dundrum) you then travelled from Pollock Park to the Gordon Playing Fields to bat and bowl against our very young 3rds team? If you are then you need to be careful about what you post.

Tony

Belfast

13th Sep 2014

I have just enjoyed a season with ci thirds in junior 4 this year but unfortunately only played 11 league matches. Unfortunately three matches where voided. More concerning is that these matches where conceded by the second elevens of well established clubs. And i note that throughout this season clubs such as downpatrick and saintfield have also failed to fulfill second eleven fixtures.
This post is by no means a slight on any club but just a point of note to highlight how tough it is to field teams outside of a first eleven.
From experience there is absolutely no way the standard of junior cricket is improving and that more people are participating.
Reducing the length of matches in junior 1-4 and 11am starts from july may help increase participation.

Clarence Hiles

HQ

12th Sep 2014

Interesting to note that the NCU hierarchy led by Andy Clement and Alan Waite are very aware of the problem of youth (or lack of it) in senior cricket and want to do something about it. Neil's comparison with Leinster cricket is very valid and while we can't promote a player because of his age the question remains why are schoolboys not coming through? It's not just the clubs' problem it has to involve schools which is why we need to support schools cricket more and more and not throw it to the wolves.

Billy

Lisburn

12th Sep 2014

From my experience this season Clarence the latter, the kids are not good enough.
I know that sounds harsh but I think we need to face facts and work out why are youngsters coming through are not good enough for PL cricket?

Neil Hunter

Sunny Belfast

12th Sep 2014

Billy, agree with your comments.
Jack, the answer is no.
Clarence, you have some very valid points here.

The question is what really do the youngsters think or want.

Do they look at the fact there is no chance of playing for their firsts or getting a chance to perform because apart from a professional there is a number of blow ins who are brought over to win games?

I think Leinster under 17's played the NCU at CIYMS this year and whilst we had Matchett & Dennison playing for us, I think Leinster had 9 premier league players playing for them.

This is what needs addressed otherwise the NCU clubs will get left behind.

Davy McD VCC

wanting to hang up the boots at 45 years of age.

12th Sep 2014

with regards to the comments of young players playing regularly, I started playing about the same time as Neil (though obviously younger lol) and even then, young players were brought through on a gradual basis right the way through a club, you do the business with the under 13 -under 15's you get a game on the saturday, the first couple of games you field third man and MIGHT get a bowl if the game is over, and normaly bat 10 or 11, a couple of weeks might pass before you get a chance, if you take that chance then you get a bigger better chance the next week, do the biz in the thirds, then you move into the seconds to field third man and if lucky get a bowl, get the chance and depends on how you do if you get another chance soon. I have NEVER known people to be told that they are getting 5 or 6 games opening the bowling or batting regardless of how they do.
IF you get the chance, then it is up to you how soon you get a bigger better chance, was the way when I started, and am sure it is still the same way. if they are good enough and learn the art of the game, then they will progress, and better that than throwing a young player in out of his depth and potentially putting them off the game.

C Boomer

The future's bright, the future's cricket !

12th Sep 2014

I played nearly all my cricket this season in the lower junior leagues and not only was it very encouraging to see so many youngsters in the ranks of our opponents, I was highly impressed how well all the young, ( in some cases very young ) guys acquitted themselves, everyone of them displayed immense skill and determination at every facet and discipline of the game and in each case were superbly marshalled by one or two more senior players on the side to prosperous effect!

But if you're still a 'doubting Thomas', don't take my word for it, have an overall peak at the various NCU senior sides who were victorious in league and cup tournaments this season, then take a look at their respective 2nds, 3rds, 4th eleven sides etc. and you'll note they themselves have equally or even surpassed their senior siblings accolades on the field of play this fine glorious season!

So ask yourself this very pertinent question and then mull over it during the long close season..

'Think not what my cricket club can do for me, but what can I do for my cricket club' !

clarence hiles

HQ

12th Sep 2014

That's exactly the point Billy- Are they not good enough or not around?
I can't believe this generation of schoolboys is worse than past generations. We have more coaching, better facilities, better equipment and better youth structures than ever. So why are we not producing as many young senior cricketers?

Billy

Lisburn

12th Sep 2014

I've seen quite a lot of PL and J1 cricket around the grounds this year and I haven't seen too many, if any, youngsters in 2nds who have the ability or even potential to be PL players.
Throwing kids in just because they are young isn't the answer, producing better youth players is.
If they good enough they'll get a game, a la Dennison, Eakin etc

Peter

Portadown

12th Sep 2014

Interesting debate on kids.

Neil's point about not enough playing regularly is key. Plenty of kids knocking about lower teams but not playing regularly in PL. Even Waringstown who have a youth set up the envy of most clubs, only really had Dennison as a 'regular' although others like Mitchell and Wilson played from time to time.

Same with Inst were Forbes played a handful of games only, and North Down with Eakin the only underage 'regular'

Perhaps CIYMS actually gave their youth the greatest opportunity with Matchett a permanent fixture with Johnston and Mulder and then Beattie and Smith all getting good game time.

Simple fact is cricket and 50 over cricket in particular is a dying sport amongst our Youth.

Neil Hunter

Foggy Belfast

12th Sep 2014

David, that's great if these young players are playing but I do not think they are all playing regularly.

What I am getting at is that there should be more youngsters playing and contributing in the Premier league on a regular basis but because of clubs bringing in blow ins, these youngsters are not getting the opportunity that youngsters got in years gone past.

Alan

Belfast

11th Sep 2014

Ben smith - 16 years old - opened the bowling for ciyms in premier league this year.