Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Clarence Hiles

HQ

11th Sep 2014

David,
You appear too keen to decry Neil on detail so let's be honest and name the players from your list who regularly open the bowling for their clubs in the Premiership. The three ND players mentioned are not the regular opening bowlers for the 1st XI although Peter Eakin is very capable of doing it. I think Neil is looking at the bigger picture although I'm sure he'll clarify himself. It is worth reflecting that Sobers, Weekes, Walcott, Tendulkar etc etc all played test cricket in their teens and many local players in bygone days entered senior cricket early. At Comber lots of Regent House players played for ND 1st XI in the past. However, most clubs don't seem to promote youngsters in the modern era. Are they not good enough or not around?

Billy Dobbin

Lisburn

11th Sep 2014

Is that the same Sam Gordon who has a few good scores for Muckamore III in Junior League 4?

Jack Allen

Belfast

11th Sep 2014

Re Neil Hunter

Are you talking about Lurgan when you said one section 1 club paying 2-3 players?

David B

lunchbreak at work

11th Sep 2014

“When is the last time you heard of an 18 year old fast bowler opening the bowling in the premier league or a 16 year old opening the batting?” I would like to kick that one off by suggesting the following;

18 year olds opening bowling – Andrew Forbes at Instonians,Peter Eakin & Peter Davison at North Down, James Mitchell & Sam Wilson at Waringstown.

16 year olds opening the batting – John Matchett at CIYMS, Sam Gordon at Muckamore, Craig Irvine at North Down & Adam Dennison at Waringstown.

Any others?

Neil Hunter

Belfast

10th Sep 2014

Clarence, your comment "Clubs need to look at their future in this context and although we tend to think grassroots within the NCU, the bigger picture is the future of cricket in Ireland and we need to develop our young players and give them a future."

So, if this is the case, where are the young players coming from? What used to be the norm was that each club had a bunch of youngsters who were given a chance to play senior cricket. This is no longer the norm.

If you look at clubs, whether your own, or other clubs, where are the youngsters? Go back 15- 20 years and I will name Peter Shields, Ryan Haire, Graeme Hunter, Shane Harrison, Neil Anderson, Michael Blair, Kyle McCallan, Adrian McCoubrey, David Kennedy, Andrew White, Mark Patterson, Andrew Patterson, to name but a few. The one thing they all had in common was they made a big contibution to their respective teams, irrespective of their age, and why, because they were given a chance.

The problem we have now is that clubs are either not giving kids a chance in the premier league or the talent is not there. When is the last time you heard of an 18 year old fast bowler opening the bowling in the premier league or a 16 year old opening the batting?

The problem that I see is that most premier clubs (and certainly one Section One club) have now, as the norm, apart from their professional, 2, 3 or in some cases more players, that are in the bracket of Irish overseas passport holders or local blow ins.

These people chase one thing...MONEY. Clubs, and I include my own, should be under no illusion that this is the case and these people are only at their clubs in the short term.

If Ireland manage to get Test Status with using the Irish Passport route, no one should complain. It is just the way of the world and like other sports, cricket is just replicating this option.

The big issue I see, is that kids no longer get a chance in the premier league because of the pressure to stay in the premier league. This in my mind is what needs addressed and if the NCU clubs are to look at the bigger picture to develop cricket in Ireland,then urgent action needs taken.

Jason Maxwell

Work

10th Sep 2014

Don’t forget stumpings roy they don’t exist either!!! Seen it a few times this year myself after moving clubs but the one thing that’s annoyed me most is travelling to play quite a far away mid week 2nd XI game late in the season to arrive to find 4 of the teams main 1st XI players playing now I went to the bother of finding the write up from their local paper the week before and alas the 4 players were all mentioned for scoring runs or taking wickets … and I know of another club who were getting it tight numbers wise their 2nd XI hadn’t won a game all season and a few guys weren’t starred cos their availability was better than other guys and they were told to get the players starred!!!

Sometimes I really think that its better to bend the rules the clubs that do seem to get more out of it

bumperdale

United Kingdom

9th Sep 2014

NCU league format.
Premier _ ten clubs
Division 1_ ten clubs.
Division2_ sixteen clubs.
Promotion/relegation_ two clubs.

C Boomer

Considering cryonic suspension for next 6 months?

9th Sep 2014

Only 5 of the 18 teams that play in the senior 2 & 3 leagues do not have 2nd, 3rd eleven cricket teams etc.

So of the remaining 13 teams, I would have thought it a logical move if a 50 over match seems too long for a player from the remaining 13 senior teams, that they consider dropping down a league or two and play 40, 35, or even 30 over cricket for their respective club's junior teams ?

In an illustrious week when we all should be rejoicing and feel very proud of our little country's heroic sporting achievements on the world stage, and consider that in just a few months time our national cricket team will be mixing it with the very best in the world down under at the 2015 world cup, reducing the quality of local senior cricket matches does not bode well for the overall long term future of the game!

Trust me folks, the Cinderella syndrome is just a mythical fairy tale, neither you nor your Princess will turn into Shriek or the Wicket Witch if you don't get home before 6 pm every Saturday evening after a day's fun on the cricket field!

Alan

Stuck in Work

9th Sep 2014

Totally agree with Jeff. All clubs have lads who eat, drink and live to play the game but we also have the lads who aren't going to make the top levels of the club and they are the ones we have to keep in the game. Early starts, meaning that they finish early will help. I also agree about schools cricket being played mid week rather than a Saturday, as the lads playing on a Saturday morning can see a 50 over game in the afternoon far enough. The kids are our future and we must do all that we can to keep them interested and enjoying the game. I have been dragged out of retirement over the past 2 weekends to help out and have thoroughly enjoyed the 2 games that I played at CSNI and Academy. Both games played in the right spirit, plenty of laughs, no contentious decisions and plenty of young lads to do the running around for me!!

Jeff Maguire

I would play 60 overs if still playing

9th Sep 2014

ROY seen lot similar this year in seconds. DAVY D its all about opinions id say you in 10% who don't want early starts and ive RETIRED so makes no difference to me but ive talked to lots junior/u-15 and they all would prefer start at 11 and actually would rather play for CLUB and not school on sat as to long day play both . Schools no doubt be better played on wed after school but wont happen . The main reason Dundrum cc is 50 years in NCU this year and facts prove it has went from 58 to 38 clubs now in another few decades this will only get worse as the present young players will not stay in game as lots more to do now than when we started and there is no way to get kids join committees etc as most are involved in at least 2 of 3 other sports . NCU are doing there best by running the meetings to get what CLUBS want not individuals as even they realise that CRICKET is not thriving in every area or each club . The young players that make the TRIALS and firsts will no doubt be playing for 10/15 years but the 90% of others will not stay longer than 3 /5 years we all need to look at bigger PICTURE as we both love the game of cricket but lets try involve everyone and make our sport STRONGER NOT WEAKER .

matt

office

8th Sep 2014

roy I agree 100% I play in junior 3 and it is a disgrace why do they bother playing if they want to win that much that they have to cheat there is going to be a few words exchanged and I know a few people who would not hold back in saying what they think

Ryan McCarter

The Mall

8th Sep 2014

R.E Roy Young cheating/gamesmanship

Totally agree, sometimes the biggest culprits are the most experienced players who seem to use their clubs games as some sort of ego trip. I have seen one caught behind incident in particular this season that just left me virtually speechless.

Teach the youngsters to play hard and fair, things are bad if you feel you cant shake hands at the end of any game.

Roy Young At Newtownards

Sunny Co.Down

7th Sep 2014

After playing senior cricket for over 30 years and then stepping down to play junior cricket for my clubs 3rd eleven can I just say I am absolutely appalled at the disgraceful acts of cheating that is rife with many clubs ! The rules of the game are totally different - LBW's do not exist nor do caught behinds or run outs ! I have played on a successful team that is mixed with senior players on the way down and juniors players who are making their way in the game and we pride ourselves in teaching them how to play the game correctly ! My message to senior players who stand in the middle and blatantly cheat is DON'T - you are teaching young players the wrong way to play the game we all love ! Also if you stand in the middle and cheat don't be surprised when you get some abuse - you deserve all that you get and more !Nor should you expect us to shake your hand on the way off as if you have done no wrong - play by the rules and everyone will enjoy the game much more !

Davy McD VCC

liking my saturday lie-ins.

6th Sep 2014

With regards to Jeff Maguire and Dundrum Cricket Clubs suggestion of 40 overs per side for Senior two, and Andys suggestion that all senior league games start at 11am from July on, & I know there is no certainty we would be playing in Senior two next year, I would find it illogical to be leaving home at 8am on the longest days of the year to play away at Larne or Donaghadee (depending on which league we are in) for 40 overs.

Gareth McCarter

Armagh

4th Sep 2014

Jeff,

As you may or may not know Armagh CC proposed and I spoke on behalf of 40 over cricket for Section 2 at last years NCU AGM in a vote that was narrowly defeated. One of our senior players had made a point of asking a few of the senior players in each opposition over the 2013 season their opinions on the matter and there was general consensus that it would be something that would potentially improve the standard as well as shortening an already long day.
Unfortunately come the AGM a couple of clubs that spoke about their opposition were represented by committee men even though their senior players had said the opposite when we spoke to them.

Hopefully the NCU meeting on the 10th of this month for Section 2 and 3 clubs can get some useful proposals from the people that are playing that can potentially improve our game.