Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

jeff maguire.

dundrum

7th Jun 2008

nap.musaaalem.eway midships,fathom hill. think casual conquest has new approach 2 beat.

jeff maguire

big underdogs

6th Jun 2008

danny, believe me the odds should read 1/2 ciyms 4/1 dundrum 50/1 draw. but forecast very good pity that both teams have games on sunday as win lose or draw the bar takings will be down.

taito

work

6th Jun 2008

Michael, your not wrong i have played for quiet a while now and there is no doubt the standard of local cricket has dropped from maybe 10 fifteen years ago. But in comparison to the last few years in section 2 at least i doubt there has been a stronger league. Its a very tough league our results can vouch for that, i hope your right about us bouncing back , im sure you are right.

michael patterson

Lisburn

6th Jun 2008

Taito, if it is not the strongest it could be the most competitive. A lot of older players feel the standard of club cricket has dropped in recent years and you only need to look at some clubs like yourselves, Woodvale, Ballymena, and Lurgan and accept the current team is not as strong as in former years. That said, two teams up and down every season is going to bring out the competitive streak in everyone so maybe that's why the league is so 'strong'. Anyway good luck as Downpatrick will bounce back. There's plenty of talent there.

Danny

Ladbrokes Lisburn

6th Jun 2008

Jeff

Odds for tomorrow at Belmont? CIYMS 4/5 Dundrum 2/1??

Should be a great game and good weather

Rodney Hassard

Dundrum

6th Jun 2008

Yes taito I was chatting with a few very experienced players who had played both section 1 and section 2 and they said that this years section 2 is the strongest they can remember. I keep saying to myself, this is a big game this weekend but they just seem to get bigger as the weeks go on. Huge weekend for us guys.

taito

work

6th Jun 2008

jeff, i have been doing a bit of work for a change, but i suppose the start we have had might have something to do with my silence. Long long way to go though, i was discussing it with a few boys from other teams this season and the general consensu is that this is the strongest section 2 that they can remember. Anybody agree or disagree? Big game tomorrow , that many thought would have been a top of the table game but has turned out to be top vs bottom game, cricket is a funny game

jeff maguire

underdog country

5th Jun 2008

think if CHINESE WHITE acts on epsom downs it has great chance of winning the oaks ,eway dunelight,unshakable,ladies best , nap soldier of fortune.anyone fancy poland too win euros 80 1 worth 5£ &holland 16 1,?ps tayto, you very quiet ?isnt it great in section 2 knowing that every game can be won or lost

Gareth McCarter

Armagh

4th Jun 2008

John,

Cricket wasn't allowed to be played on the Mall on a Sunday for a long time and if truth be told the Trustees probably still aren't all that keen on it but kindly facilitate us when necessary.

Some of the gallery pictures on the Lurgan CC website from their trip to the Mall on Saturday show what a fantastic setting it is for a game, unfortunately we couldn't give St. Johnston one at the weekend. The season goes on though.

John Ross

Derry

4th Jun 2008

Thanks for that Gareth. Someone up here had told me it was because cricket wasnt played at the Mall on a Sunday. I read on the Armagh website that their 2nds played at the Mall on Sunday and was a bit confused about the explanation of the St Johnston game. Very sporting of Armagh not to have made the guys travel from Donegall (probably 240 mile round trip!).

Gareth McCarter

Armagh

3rd Jun 2008

re John Ross

Armagh conceded the tie to St. Johnston as we did not feel it would be fair to make them travel from Donegal to face what would have been at best a shadow side, and indeed probably largely made up of junior players. We had requested not to be included in the WH Ulster Shield in 2008 after our transport had let us down so badly at the last minute in the previous season.

Good luck to St. Johnston and indeed all the teams remaining in this years competition.

Ryan McMaster

Home

3rd Jun 2008

I would agree with Robin about Robert Smith. I played against him twice for Holywood in section 3, 2 years back. He bowled very well and made an effort with the bat.
I have also seen him (and TCC) play over the last few seasons and from recent scores he seems to be a decent batsman now.
Fair play to him too for staying at Templepatrick and also to Andy McCrea - both of whom I sure have offered various roles at other clubs. Andy is a top coach and I said it in the 'Club Focus' section and season preview on the NCU site - I think Templepatrick could be ready for a step up. They look good in the Junior Cup and seem to have started well in section 3. They have a young side and are due a bit of success. With 2 up now, surely they fancy promotion?

Darren Taylor

Dunmurry

3rd Jun 2008

I know your article on 100's was only based on last weekend but the weekend before there was 2 100's in the same match for the same team, Neil Connelly and Colin Whyte from Dunmurry first eleven, well done Texas and Whytey and of course congrats to all the centurions last weekend.

John Ross

Derry

3rd Jun 2008

Anyone any idea why the Armagh vs St Johnstone Ulster Shield game was not played on Sunday?

Chrs Busby (TCC)

Ballyclare

3rd Jun 2008

Robin,

I have made that exact point on the other forum and am delighted that somebody with so much experience as yourself feels the same. The fact is that Bobby will fail sometimes, and on many occasions he will give his wicket away cheaply, however- his talent is a rare one in that he will win you a game in 20 overs (as he did that day at Comber)- sometimes I feel that selectors look too much for the steady players, and not real match winners. Added to his class fielding and useful bowling I really can't see how he was omitted- but then again it is a matter of opinion I suppose.

P.s Hands off for a couple of more years at least lol!!!!