Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

robin haire

still confused at ardmore academy

12th Jun 2008

trying to find out the north west ruling on pros. i know that the ncu aren't allowed test players and the north west are. is there any other difference. are the north west clubs allowed more than one overseas player.
3 different sets of rules on overseas players in the 3 unions seems extreme. surely a meeting of union delegates could come up with one rule to suit everyone.

Nile Smith

sofa

12th Jun 2008

Clarence is correct. Ten years ago Ireland were playing the Free Foresters and County second XIs and there was much sniggering amongst ourselves in the tent if our opening batsmen were obviously beaten for pace in the first over.Though we had decent cricketers then of course. Now we should rejoice that our teams play full county and international teams.
All club members should find a few quid / euros to be a member of ICU.

Rodney Hassard

Dundrum

11th Jun 2008

Like Jeff I dont really know him but I'd like to wish Simon Harrison a speedy recovery. Should it be mandatory for players to wear helmets? I dont think this rule will ever be brought in but what are your thoughts?

taito

work

11th Jun 2008

yes i would like to echo jeff's comments on wishing simon harrison a speedy recovery, great lad and great cricketer, hopefully see him back playing soon.

it would be interesting to know what the rules are in the north west regarding overseas players,

the guys at north down are all resident in ireland so that is how they can play. It doesnt seem to be that way with some of the guys in the north west??

James

Belfast

11th Jun 2008

Confused, I think the difference is that apparently these guys in the North West just fly in on Saturday morning and then fly away again, they do not live here but are cricketing mercenaries. Robin?

jeff maguire

retired

11th Jun 2008

bumper, well done on hat trick never got one myself & would just like too say well done & good luck to Ciyms in the semi final as they stuffed us on sat which helped my decision to retire after 36 years! And no better place than belmont in front of some great friends & it was good to see stalwarts Stewarty Malcolm, Jimmy Adams. Jack & Davy Mccullough, Brian Mckee & COOKE legend Tom Duncan their, not to mention the Humourous Alan Neill (great advice mate , how do you bowl to johny hewitt his reply get someone else ).Dont no Simon Harison but think all cricketers will wish him a speedy recovery.

Confused Person

Land of confusion

10th Jun 2008

You are one to talk Robin. Are not a member of a club who has the following in their First Team squad?:

- T Khan, Pakistan
- P Connell, New Zealand
- A Sutherland, Australia
- L Parsons, New Zealand
- R Coetzee, South Africa

Struggling to see through them North Down glasses again Robin?

bumperdale

belfast

10th Jun 2008

I just wish to share a very sweet cricketing moment when after almost 40 years of trying I took a Premier League hat-trick v CIYMS on Sunday.
I was cheered on by spectators, my team-mates and the schoolboys on the hill.
Everything comes to him who waits!!
Bumperdale- Legend!!

robin haire

la mon

10th Jun 2008

can anyone up north west direction help.

is there anything to stop any club playing 11 overseas players up in the north west league or cup competitions. seems like some clubs are playing 2 or 3 each saturday especially last week in their cup quarter finals

James

Belfast

10th Jun 2008

Thanks Trevor
So are these guys just second overseas players/pros? What's all that about, I thought teams were restricted to one 'pro'?
James

James

Belfast

10th Jun 2008

Thanks Trevor
So are these guys just second overseas players/pros? What's all that about, I thought teams were restricted to one 'pro'?
James

Trevor Hamilton

Bready

10th Jun 2008

Sorry, I forgot to mention James Bennett. Used to play with the Hills, but hasn't played much during the past few seasons. I think he's now working in Londonderry.

Trevor Hamilton

Bready

10th Jun 2008

James,
Wajahuddin has come from England, Mortaza Hussain (Pakistan 1st Class cricketer with British Passport)also played with Glendermott last season, but at the end of the season was signed on a tempory contract by Surrey. He also began this season with Surry but was released for last weekends cup games. Bhatt at Eglinton (Pakistan 1st class cricketer with British Passport) last season was playing the Middlesex league and is very useful left arm spinner. Karmi at Strabane from Nottingham, has played County 2nds cricket, brought in to replace Phil Eaglestone when he was on international duty, but he's still here as Phil is injured.

James

Belfast

10th Jun 2008

Can anyone shed any light on where these new players in the North West have come from, Wajihuddin and Hussain at Glendermott, Karim and Bennett at Strabane, Bhatt at Eglinton?!

Charles McCrum

Lurgan

9th Jun 2008

Great stuff section 2 this year. Lots of interest and at this stage it looks almost certain that Woodvale and Ballymena are going up with maybe Lurgan as an outside chance.
Well done to anyone who took advantage of an injured and out of form Laurelvale side in our first six games but looking forward to playing anyone from here on in.
Can I also commend the N C U on an excellent change of the 20/20 format. Looking forward to sunday.

ps. No comment yet on Ulster Shield.