Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Gary Patton

Home

1st Jul 2008

Re: Michael Patterson
Nothing like a sore loser.
Just face it, your team North Down was stuffed twice by teams from the North West and you just can't accept it.

michael patterson

Lisburn

30th Jun 2008

Hey guys don't get bogged down in small print. It's not about NCU and NW it's about having the same rules for everybody in the same competition. The players you mention live here and let's face it clubs like CI, North Down,Lisburn etc have the funds to fly in players if they want to but don't go down this route. Good performances by the hired guns but is your cricket any better? After all how many NW players are paid to play in the NCU?

Stephen Hughes

Working for the next 15 minutes...

30th Jun 2008

Trevor, a British passport doesn't always deem that someone is eligible to qualify to play for Ireland, so that would be an issue for NCU teams from my understanding of the overseas player ruling, however I could be wrong on this!!!

Response

You are correct Stephen, a British passport has no bearing on eligibility in the NCU.

T Gillespie

Derry

30th Jun 2008

Re: Michael Patterson
Think your comments smell of double standards again.
Can't ever remember you complaining when T Khan (Pakistan), R Coetzee (S Africa), P Connell (New Zealand), A Sutherland (Australia) & L Parsons (New Zealand) do well for North Down.
Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

Trevor Hamilotn

Bready

30th Jun 2008

Gary, Karim is from Nottingham born and bred. British Passport

Trevor Hamilton

Bready

30th Jun 2008

Michael, although I do not agree with the flying in of players, I also disagree with clubs with more than one professional within their ranks. In both the NCU and NWCU there are clubs who opt to go down this route. So any rule change you suggest would obviously hurt some clubs in both unions. So I don't know what you mean, when you say until the rules are changed the NW teams will have an advantage.

Response

Good point Trevor.
I think however in this instance the point is that the players flown in to play in the North West wouldn't be eligible to do so in the NCU.

michael patterson

Lisburn

30th Jun 2008

Gary, great to watch if you are a neutral but if teams in the same competition can fly in players for a weekend game and teams can't then the rules need to be looked at. Strabane weren't breaking any rules but NCU clubs are on a hiding to nothing in the Ulster Cup which is why the North-West have done so well this year. Looking at the stats Strabane's two overseas pros beat North Down yesterday. It's as simple as that.

gary

belfast

30th Jun 2008

i think the batting display at comber yesterday shows that all teams should be allowed two overseas pros , great entertainment from strabanes two , in a great win
is karim from pak, if so what team?

gordon

dundrum

29th Jun 2008

i would just like to say what a great match there was in the "meadow" dundrum aginst downpatrick,there was one of the biggest crowds ever seen at dundrum and both teams were up for this derby match both teams bowled well and gavin grafted hard for his 74 i think after this result people will realise dundrum are not just a village team and with a new crop of young players coming through under the excellent coaching of manoj fernando that they could become an established team in section 2 for many years to come.

Rodney Hassard

Dundrum

29th Jun 2008

Have to say Jeff, in my opinion it wouldn't have mattered if Downpatrick had tate, ferguson and magowan in the side as the fight and determination we showed to win the game would have seen us through against most sides. Besides, we were missing two of our own.

jeff maguire

still hung over

29th Jun 2008

Like too say congratulations too Academy & Templepatrick two of finest sporting teams on making the Junior cup final( think thats def a day off on the friday) should be a tight game with the Andy Mcreas young side versus the Academy team thats full of a club of expeiranced stalwarts .Have too say also that it was fantastic atmosphere in the Meadow yesterday irrespective of the result which ended in us beating Downpatrick who wheir missing 3 players & the return game should be equally as competive . PS Taito i will accept a cheque.

clarence Hiles

Comber

27th Jun 2008

Russeller,
Sent her off with a credit card so I'm free to go to cricket! Could be an expensive weekend!
Hope to see you soon.

Russeller

Comber

27th Jun 2008

Hiler,

I bumped into Pam in Comber yesterday, she was saying that she is taking you to view the new Victoria Shopping Centre this weekend and no cricket is allowed!!!! ha ha

See you at some stage during your visit..

Russeller

clarence hiles

Barbados

26th Jun 2008

I'll be in Comber this weekend Armchair and at two cricket matches rain, hail or snow. Might see you somewhere for a pint?

Arm Chair Supporter

In my arm chair

26th Jun 2008

Fair enough that another captain has been appointed on the day, but do the rest of the guys not need some sort of continuity? ie certain captains may be more agressive than others in terms of field settings - a good player will know what the captain is thinking once that relationship has been forged. I just think it may be unfair to have different leaders making different decissions on the pitch on a match by match basis (depending on when Will is with club or country). He will obviously always be a contender because he is a class above many others in the panel - I suppose we will just have to wait and see what big Phil decides!! He's the boss after all. I dont know about Sir Alex or Keano for CricketIreland, the boys might buckle under the pressure of the hairdryer or a flying pair of spikes!!! Dont know about the cup matches this weekend, but I would love to have my armchair tucked up beside you in Barbados!