Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

8th Jul 2008

Why does it have to always get personal on here?. I thought most contributors were first and foremost cricket lovers.Knocking Staffy for the sake of knocking Staffy isn't going to develop cricket either end of the Glenshane ( and I think we have both been guilty of trying to score points of each other in the past ). But he's as well placed as anyone to judge the standards having played in the NCU senior one for a long lomg time and now playing in the NWCU and being kept out of the Birgade team with that bowling attack isn't any disgrace. As for Michael Patterson's jibes ( and being around the NCU for 35 years I've never come in contact with him but I think he is a Lisburn follower ) I think my remark was justified. For all the numbers at clubs until we get some coaching structures in place I don't ( and haven't ) see the standards improving.
Over the past ten years the Ireland set up with Hendrick, Birrel, Walsh, O'Rourke etc have done a great job in developing young talent highlighted by the success at under age level and the guys playing County cricket.
Surely this blueprint needs repeated at club level. With qualified coaches at each age level,club academies,winter nets,mini tours,schools programmes,mentors for youngsters in senior teams,mentoring,even a tie up with a county etc.Lets stop knocking those with the interest of the game at heart and put those energies into improving the game at club level and this will raise the standards at international level.

JEFF MAGUIRE

ITS JUST NOT CRICKET

8th Jul 2008

danny . you shouldnt done that bad nap won backed from 6/4 til 1/2. next best won 8/1 then 4 eways all placed 2 beat in photos at 12/1 2 didnt run but anyway we try get a few for weekend as im off too chester. COLLECTION will win the john smiths magnet cup at york(if gets to run) fancy SPEED SONG chester fri night if runs and think infallible win tomorrow.ps have too say be nice too see the UNDERDOGS CSNI win THE SEMI FINAL but VANBURN mighten want us BETTING on it. monday 14 july DUNDRUM V SAINTFIELD START 1PM

Brendan

Derry

8th Jul 2008

Some people say it should have been a longer ban. What about Johnny giving us his version of events?

michael patterson

Lisburn

8th Jul 2008

Just read Staffy's email and have to say it's OTT on the state of cricket in the NCU. Are you really that bitter about your NCU committee experience? As for bringing up Ivan's silly comment on 100 kids running around a field not being development I'm sure any club in Ireland would love to start with that base. You can develop two ways; either bring the young players through the ranks or buy hired guns. Who does what is up to any individual club to decide but don't tell us North West cricket is stronger than NCU cricket because that argument doesn't stand up. The only person in denial is yourself!

Danny

Lost a fortune at weekend - Thanks Jeff!

8th Jul 2008

Vanburn

Any odds on CSNI beating North Down in the semi final of the challenge cup? Its not like you to not have an opinion on something.

John Ross

Derry

8th Jul 2008

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on the fairly hefty suspension handed out by the NWCU to Johnny Thompson? Must have been a pretty serious offence if a 6 match was dished out!

michael patterson

Lisburn

8th Jul 2008

James, don't get carried away with a few wins this year as nobody is fooling anyone in the NW versus NCU stakes. Pros dominate NW cricket and paying players is their current culture. And guess what it works. If NCU clubs want to have the best teams they will have to buy them like North County,Brigade,Strabane, Limavady etc.
Yes they have pros but buying success is not really their culture. But that may change if a rich sponsor walks through the door! Getting beaten by hired guns is hardly an indication of a better standard or a better union. It reflects buying power. Ask Russell and Dalzell if they play in a better team right now than the one they left.

mark

Belfast

8th Jul 2008

Stu Daultrey appears to be anti NCU and particularly North Down where there is obviously some baggage from the past. Staffy has a love-hate relationship with the NCU but has some good ideas mixed in with a few grudges. Both are entitled to their opinions but there's a lot more good things happening within the NCU than bad and plenty of hard-working people trying to promote cricket. They're not perfect but I think we should get off their backs and support them.

James

Belfast

7th Jul 2008

I think the NCU should immediately employ a well qualified person to put in place a developement plan for the future of the union, I hear Brigade 2ND XI may have a suitable candidate?

Seriously though, everyone seems to think we have our heads buried in the sand, is that right?

I know we have a number of areas in need of improvement but I'm not sure where Daultry/Stafford get the idea that the North West are any further down the road...

jeff maguire

bet or not 2 bet ? VANBURN

7th Jul 2008

taito , no problem but think yous wheir short &return be harder but still think i might just sneak another winning bet . just called in for 2 beers & my haggas source says back MANDILIEU won 4 1. happy days.well dun to yous winning yesterday.

taito

work

7th Jul 2008

sorry jeff, i have been busy , i will pay you in drink sure ha. Na im sure i will run in to you sometime soon and we can sort it out

jeff maguire

wheirs TAYTO gone???????????

7th Jul 2008

has anyone seen or heard from tayto as he wasnt shy about taking mu bet over who win(although might been better if he had played)i will always take a CHEQUE if you dont like handing over CASH.LOL

gary

belfast

7th Jul 2008

stu daultrey should be very careful what he says and how he says it
i don't think it would be wise for him to return to the 'uk', particularly northern ireland

Nigel (No Club Affiliation)

Follower of NW Cricket

7th Jul 2008

Dee,

That is a very very naive and indeed silly comment to write. I am a floating supporter up here in the NW and am not affiliated to any club so i cant be accused of any biase in what i write,but i see a lot of the games around the NW and from what i have seen Glendermott are obviously very fortunate to have acquired the services of a superb batsman, dont think for one second other clubs either havent or wont try to poach him away because he is a serious talent, but dont forget that they beat a strong Brigade team without his services, Russell got a superb 80 that day and Robinson got 40 odd on a very poor track at Beechgrove. And they beat Strabane and again Russell got a 70 with young Riddles smashing a quick 40 alongside Razas 70 odd. Add in Johnny Thompson who is in the middle off a 6 match ban,which will hurt them badly, Dalzell and a couple of other players they have the makings of a very decent side. They will not compete with the Limavadys or Donemanas as they dont have the strength in depth but to label them as a one man team is very wrong, they are just dam lucky to have selected the most entertaining and gifted batsman in Pakistan, hence why crowds up here in the NW Flock to see him bat.

gordon lamb

Belfast

6th Jul 2008

One Northern team in the Semi-Finals.
I thought that with Pro's in the mix this year , we would re-address the balance. What next do we have to do. The Dublin teams can have ten players in their team perhaps