Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Wylie McKinty

Hoping to watch Ire v SL on line

11th Jul 2011

Great to hear of such a high scoring game at Banford Green yesterday - just a pity that no-one from either club has seen fit to let either of the local web sites know about the match details or result.

Jason Maxwell

Banford Green

11th Jul 2011

Taito agreed fezs innings yesterday was great to watch ......... well apart from watching him dispatch me into the field on a few occasions haha it got to the stage i didnt know where to bowl it cos it was all goin the same way lol wasnt to be my day as then you sconed me off a length (thank god for the helmet) can hardly walk today after taking one on the achilles from a return to the keeper haha think you also tried to take me out with a return lol

was a great game yesterday over 500 runs 16 wkts dislocated fingers n all lol looking forward to sat at your place i fancy getting fez this week if im allowed to bowl again after yesterday haha

taito

belfast

11th Jul 2011

jeff, thanks for pointing that out.... not lol. Well as fez doesnt play first class cricket i wouldnt see any problem but i dont know how the registrations work, maybe i should be telling him to start to leave a couple on middle stump

Jeff OHara

home

11th Jul 2011

Taito - fantastic figures indeed - I'm sure the Registrations Committee will be reviewing these when "determining whether or not a player's cricketing ability is appropriate to particular competitions" if you guys don't get promoted for next season !

taito

sore after bowling for the first time in a year

11th Jul 2011

With the phenomenon that is "obus", our pro fez achievemnets over the last few weeks might have gone under the radar. Last five innings: 150... 79 no.... 144 no... 61 n o and 184 yesterday. The guy is in some serious nick, keep it going fez its real good to watch

Davy McD VCC

Breaking into the Lawn to steal their blotters for use in the park.

10th Jul 2011

Andy, you won a game today in a most convincing fashion, be happy.
I can recall a Waringstown player flying home every weekend from university to play for the club he loved, (dont think it was paid for though), and I had a very enjoyable day at the lawn today with little of no controversy (although i have heard that things got a bit heated between the aul hands and the new generation lol).
Sad to hear reports about a game between W'town thirds and bangor thirds, though i will wait until i hear full details before commenting further, and would like to agree with M Parks to apologise if a member of our club reascted in an improper manner regardless of the circumstances.

andy kennedy

day off in Buckna

9th Jul 2011

I know I'll be accused of hiding behind a question again but I really have to ask "has the world gone mad?" Is there so much money slushing around the local game that enables clubs - and note I say clubs plural - can afford to fly guys in on weekend "contracts"? This has been happening since the start of the season and I wish someone would explain on the forum the logic of such expenditure - or what has this added to our game? Is there no real recession in Northern Ireland?

M. Parks (VCC)

-

9th Jul 2011

Just to add to the discussion about the Victoria v Academy fixture. (Sorry editor, I know you said end of topic)

As a committee member, and captain of the Victoria 2nd XI, I would like to apologise on the behalf of the individual. Unfortunately, the actions of an individual can reflect on a whole club.

Victoria C.C. do not condone the use of foul language, especially when directed at a child.

Brendan

Glengormley

9th Jul 2011

Thanks for the inside information ed!
Off to the Lawn and will probably see some of the North Down and Lisburn players there. I think the NCU need to ask a few questions of Lisburn with the cup final just around the corner.

brendan

glengormley

9th Jul 2011

Just read the Newsletter. It seems a lot happened in 2 hours yesterday. The premier league match at Wallace Park was cancelled at 2-30 but was back on at 5 o'clock. In the meantime some of the North Down players had made other arrangements for Saturday. Why was the match called off on Friday when it has a noon start today? Was it not possible to switch to Comber? Or is everyone going to the Lawn to watch Obus Pienaar?
Bushe has it right-A Shambles!

Response

I can confirm Brendan that the game was never 'back on', the offer was made but never accepted.

LCF

9th Jul 2011

Of the other grounds, Lisburn would be a cracking venue but for the poor pitches, CIYMS has potential but needs a bit more time to 'bed in' and Carrick is ok, but suspect during a wet period of weather.
Muckamore would certainly come into the reckoning if their new pitches work out and Bangor should be up there, but theirs seemed to have gone off the boil a bit in the last 2/3 years?
I think out of the league below Saintfield and Holywood are possibly the best on their day?
I suppose the other major factor given our climate is a ground/clubs ability to deal with wet weather, which would include man-power, covers available and drainage...

LCF

9th Jul 2011

Wylie
I think that for any premier cup final the the grounds with the best playing and spectating facilities should be top of the list.
Based on what I've seen and heard this year, the best pitches seem to be at Waringstown, Downpatrick and Comber. Lets face it, most people want to see runs galore so give the players the best chance...
I don't mind 120 plays 110 in a tight one but I'm a purist, the modern way is boundaries and the bowlers getting hammered everywhere. I think Shaw's Bridge has tended to favour the bowlers in the past?
Those three grounds are also excellent grounds for watching, which is probably a consequence of them being 'cricket' grounds and not sharing with another sport.
Stormont is obviously capable of producing good pitches but tends not to for the club game, and it also lacks atmosphere without a couple of thousand spectators!
This email is not intended to knock anyone elses facilities, but when it comes to a final serious decisions should be made.
As far as the 'when' is concerned, I would have thought a Friday evening or Sunday afternoon like last year would have been ideal.
Without a sponsor, the competition seems to have been pushed to one side which in my opinion is completely the opposite of what should happen, give it a high priority and try and attract a new sponsor to the table.

Jeff Maguire

need the sun out

8th Jul 2011

re wylie id personally play both finals on same day at either Downpatrick or Saintfield or Newforge superb grounds with good bar facilities close to the action which will surely add to the great action and hopefully make the host club a lot of cash .ps and even if Dundrum wernt in final ill be at the games

Noel McCarey

Saintfield Co Down

8th Jul 2011

Due to circumstances beyond control Saintfield Cricket Club require a quality player/coach for the remainder of the 2011 season. Please phone on 07767271366 for further details.
Thank you
Noel McCarey
Saintfield Cricket Club
Co Down
N Ireland

JT

Lurgan

8th Jul 2011

I definitely do not condone the swearing at a 14 year old, your right its disgusting. I'll have a word with the guy who i likely suspect it was. And tell him he needs to think more carefully when in that moment. In fact i'll be telling all my guys that.

I was just going by what my wicket keeper told me and what others in the field also said about the LBW being pretty certain.

I have a lot of respect for numerous Academy players and indviduals and have always enjoyed competitive games.

No point getting into tit for tat arguments.

Response

End of topic.