Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

ivan mccombe

In the Boycott camp. Bell was run out- simple.

1st Aug 2011

Having watched about 15 or 16 Premier League games this season I think that to get the real "best v best" scenario we need to look again at an Ulster Premier League. I have watched too many one sided games that hold no interest for supporters and must be awful to play in as well. I think too many teams now have only a small number of quality players but maybe if we had an elite league of 8 teams we would see the best players playing at those clubs. These clubs should also have to demonstrate that they had an Academy programme running along the same lines of the Cricket Ireland North Academy. There then is a good case for having straight through leagues in the individual Union leagues which would allow those 8 clubs 2nds players to play at the next highest possible level.
I don't know how other cricket followers feel but I must admit that my appetite for watching is waning purely because of the standard.
The two Irish Cup semi finals next weekend should be games worth watching. I know Instonians are gearing up for a big crowd v Phoenix and are hiring in 200 seats. These efforts should be supported by all local cricket lovers.

ivan mccombe

back home.

29th Jul 2011

Enjoyed a good day at the Senior Cup final. Lisburn put on a good show. The ground looked well, plenty of seating, easy parking etc and although no one batted very fluently both skippers were very complimentary about the pitch and they had a better look at it than any of us.
Spent the CSNI innings with Raymond Moreland and his legendary status was further enhanced today.About 6 overs from the end he predicted the game would end with young Adam Dennison taking a catch above his head at long off to dismiss Allen Coulter and give us a fairytale finish. And guess what Big Ray got it spot on. Great crack and good to see so many familiar faces.Well done to Waringstown .

Ryan McCarter

The Mall

29th Jul 2011

Well done to a depleted Waringstown team on their cup final success. Great character!

Jim Taylor

Lisburn

29th Jul 2011

Good to see the starring system is as stringent as ever eh? Waringstown can have a player taking wickets for their firsts and in the senior cup final squad and still captaining their fourths, astounding!

Jeff Maguire

going celebrate today winning the 20t shield

29th Jul 2011

Marty glad clubs help your fine club Woodvale and wish you every success and hope todays cup final is cracker at Lisburn between two evenly matched sides im tipping Waringstown win and Lee Nelson for MOTM.Im sure no prouder man than Cecil Walker today .ps LISBURN /NORTH DOWN only 2 grounds i never played on in 40 year career in NCU .

Carl Williams

Lisburn

28th Jul 2011

I'm looking for three tickets to the Ireland vs England game on the 25th August at Clontarf. One adult and two kids. But am flexible. If anybody has any tickets they don't need you can contact me on 07881496948.

Davy McD VCC

Showing my age now.

28th Jul 2011

Some points from the senior working group,
Leagues of 8, 8, 10 & 11 seems a fair way to move with the times.
1 up and 1 down is not too bad, but what about 2nd playing 2nd bottom in a play off? if one side is far ahead by the middle of june it means that the rest have something to play for, and likewise, if one side loses all their first 6 or 7 games, the other sides cant go into "relax" mode, or strengthen their seconds.
Common playing regulations and cup regs make sense.
D/L in sections 3 & 4 (old school), will there always be a pooter available at these grounds, & someone that knows how the D/L programme works? with the scarcity of umpires (& no, i am not volunteering to start), i can see problems arising if a game is close when rained off (though better than re-arrangements)
Start times and overs Ihave no real problem with, part from it will limit the times i am able to watch the end of a top flight game after my own has finished.
rearranged games, I feel that the Union should have a regulation, but if both clubs agree to a different outcome, then they should be allowed (i.e. if both clubs are free on the second saturday in september and agree to play that day, then the 3 week rule should be waived).
Sunday cricket or not, see above.
No 4th year cricket on a saturday? this risks losing quite a lot of kids that are notaffiliated to any club by the age (bearing in mind that under the Dickson plan, there is very little cricket played in schools before 4th year)
Gradual move towards pyjamas? WHY? When I were a kid, I could wear white's at the lawn on a friday evening for the under 15's, the same whites for the school on a saturday morn, and sometimes even the same whites on the saturday afternoon for the thirds, or get the first set washed after the friday game and dried to wear on the saturday afternoon. When a parent is asked by their 15 year old "i want to start playing cricket" How much is that going to cost? well a pair of pads, a pair of spikes, a helmet, pair of gloves, a box, maybe a thigh pad, that is already a lot of money before they have to fork out for a fancy coloured kit, and it iwll only erode another of the traditions of our great game for NO benefit that I can see.

Rodney Hassard

Work

28th Jul 2011

What a game of cricket last night at Downpatrick in the 20/20 Shield final. I have to say I have played in quite a few ties before but that was unbelievable..... went down to a 1 over bash in fading light!

For anyone that thinks cricket is boring, I can guarantee now that they would have got caught up in the entertainment and drama last night.

I'd like to mention Derriaghy who were absolutely brilliant last night and have a super team and a decent bunch of lads. They were very unlucky to end up as the losing side.

I'd also like to thank Downpatrick for providing the facilities and a super pitch to play on.

On a side note, has a debate started on the best all rounder in section 1? I always judge based on the stats at the end of the season (catches, run outs, wickets and runs) however if I had to choose now it would be between Craig Lewis, Joel Maguire, James Magowan. I also think Richard Shilliday is very underrated and would get in to all teams in Section 1.

If I was pressed to choose an all rounder at the minute (without stats) I'd choose Craig Lewis for his all round game and consistency. He's a great player and nice lad and to be honest he's one of the best all rounders I've faced in a few years.

Marty McKeown

Belfast

26th Jul 2011

Just want to take this opportunity to thank the clubs that have helped Woodvale out so far this season, by letting us use their grounds. Templepatrick, Dunmurry, Dundrum and Muckamore have all been very kind and their assistance is greatly appreciated.

Wylie McKinty

Back at Work :(

25th Jul 2011

re Ulster Cup Final

It has been moved to 21st August as Instonians are playing in the Bob Kerr Irish Senior Cup semi final on the 7th August. It will also be played at Carrickfergus CC.

http://www.northerncricketunion.org/database/2011/ulster/ulstercup.shtml#final

Billy

Lisburn

25th Jul 2011

Guys, can anyone tell me where the Ulster Cup final is, the Cricket Ireland website only tells me it is on August 7?

taito

belfast shore

21st Jul 2011

Jeff, i echo your comments about the guys getting well soon.

Yes local derby coming up again soon, im sure it will be another close game and it could have a huge impact on who finishes higher in the table.

Another local derby this sunday if anyone is interested , Saintfield v Downpatrick in the semi final of the Ulster Shield. Another grudge game... Dickie dont worry i won't bowl this time to give you a chance to get some runs lol.

Davy skelton

Office

21st Jul 2011

Re Jeff

For your info both Derriaghy and Downpatrick have games in semi final of Ulster Shield this Sunday. Woodvale play Derriaghy at Muckamore and Saintfield host Downpatrick. Hopefully see you at T20 Shield final next Wed evening.

Jeff Maguire

3 junior games in week wife has the MY black bags packed

21st Jul 2011

Tayto , yes indeed Craig Lewis is one of the best all rounders along with JA JA and only a few that play for most premier sides ive orderd more balls for the cup final next week at strangford road and might just bring couple dogs for the garden search and with Daubney the biggest hitter ive seen in this section we are big underdogs but that will suit us no pressure if we can pull of a shock . Just like wish speedy recovery to Billy Mccormick from Holywood in hospital and was great see Ted Cooke at a recent game and hope see Ivan Reid and Sammy Alexander back to full health and hopefully umpiring as both do a superb job and great charactors to boot .PS i think might be few our team try few over the road just pity wasnt a sunday game as both teams would have brought supporters and stayed in your marvelous facilities and enjoyed the after party win or lose and both teams aint got game this sunday think thats strange as would made for cracking day out.

M. Parks (VCC)

-

20th Jul 2011

The NCU's proposal for the two bottom sections proposes either 11 teams in the bottom section and 10 in the higher section, or an 8/13 split.

Personally I would be more in favour of the 10/11 split, as a league with 13 teams will mean a gulf in class, and many one sided games.

If there is 11 in the bottom section, 20 games is too many in my opinion. I think that if everyone played each other once at the start of the season, then there could be a split, and then the top 6 play each other again, and the bottom 5 do the same. It would require a couple of free Saturday's mid-season to clear any games which need cleared before the split....