Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

taito

belfast

23rd Aug 2011

I was just wondering what the feeling was from the recent roadshows with regards the league structure? As in was there a feeling of section one still being reduced to 8 teams or staying at 10?

Wylie McKinty

Work

22nd Aug 2011

re Davy McD VCC and re-arrangements.

I agree with your thinking on allowing teams that want to play 50 overs instead of 20 overs for a re-arranged game played on a Sunday (or free Saturday).
However, I cannot agree on allowing teams to re-arrange games for any time in the season.
A little scenario: If a match is called off in May or June then it might appear okay to let this match be re-arranged for a Sunday (or free Saturday) in July or August (respectively).
What happens though to games postponed in July or August? A problem arises as you now have no free Sundays to play these games.
Hence the introduction of the 22/29 day rule to make sure re-arranged games are played as soon as possible after the original game and so allowing some free Sundays for later on the season.
Does this make sense?

andy kennedy

feeling smug in Buckna

22nd Aug 2011

Some time ago I was lambasted by some people on this forum for my comments about the attitude of English players. In view of the announcement of the England team for Thursday I wonder if they are enjoying eating their words! Compare this with Mark Taylor's Australia side who had come off the back of a Test Match and yet brought a full squad to Eglinton a few years ago.

brendan

Glengormley

22nd Aug 2011

No need to be personal William. We just have different standards. Move on 'pal'.

Roy Young

At Newtownards

22nd Aug 2011

As the end of the season is in sight its 'business as usual' at the top of the Premier League - NDCC & WCC. However, what has happened to CIYMS?
A club that has 'encouraged' many talented players to join them to PL glory - find themselves fighting relegation! How can this be after the large investments over the years?
Their 2nd XI seem to be doing well - but thats a similar team that won promotion from the old section 3 a few years back.
Also the once great Woodvale could find themselves in the 3rd tier of senior NCU in 2012.
You have to admire Academy. A club that in recent years like to play in the 3rd tier league and push to Junior Cup all the way. This year with no promotion - they are one of 3 teams looking to win the league - who would bet against them, and stay in the 3rd level! Now with 4 teams, soon they will be ready to push up the senior leagues?

The long history at Armagh CC and could they find their senior team in the 4th tier in 2012?
Final mention to Lurgan 1st XI - the only team yet to be beaten in the leagues.
Makes the season all the more interesting when you take a closer look.

matthew

test match

22nd Aug 2011

sorry now i got a ticket for the england match they could have at least sent over a few of their big guns to give the irish fans a treat also think the price was a bit steep

Jason Maxwell

Millpark

22nd Aug 2011

As the topic of sportsmanship is brought up again we were playing on Saturday past there and has been the norm for us this year wed a lot of cry offs myself included as I was best man at a wedding in England, we turn up the other team win toss and bat first as they are more than entitled to do they get a mammoth score as would be expected of them, then comes our turn to bat so from what ive heard our guys were never going to win the game and ability wise were never going to get close to the score so they don’t give their wickets away and play the same way they would if they batted first ……. Ive heard reports from 3 of our players including my brother that the barrage of abuse received from their opponents was inexcusable my brother has told me that his weight was brought in to it etc, how are we going to encourage people to play cricket with this going on.

As im sure it will be said I shouldn’t have brought this up as I didn’t witness it first hand but when I was told of this on Saturday night my bloods been boiling ever since I keenly await replies

i mc cullough

belfast CI CC

21st Aug 2011

I too think this tea situation is very confusing and another step back in the standard of cricket,,,Men sort your wives out. just something else you can learn from your peers

Davy McD VCC

puzzled by the rules of the NCU

21st Aug 2011

SAturday afternoon, nice game of cricket, good day, twenty twenty game starting at noon and finishing at ten past three.
what a joke.
If both captains agree to play the full 50 overs in game two when a saturday is available then surely this should be allowed.
Likewise the 21 day rule should be ammended to say that the date for a rearangement should be agreed within the 21 days rather than the game be played within this timescale, what is wrong with sides agreeing to fill blank dates in their fixture list rather than have to travel for midweek games.

william

Home

21st Aug 2011

RE: Brendan

I hardly call a 4hr match a quick romp - and actually we all have a pint afterwards

You clearly are the font of all local cricketing Knowledge Pal...

Brendan

Glengormley

20th Aug 2011

Good on you William and keep playing. But I'm not talking crap just because I don't share your views. We are entitled to differ. Cricket is more than just a quick romp around the field or maybe it's not? If the social side goes the rest is irrelevant. You are hardly playing for a living.
PS
I should add the way schools cricket is being dismissed is another part of the demise. Sadly the game is dying 'pal.'

william

Home

20th Aug 2011

RE:Brendan

Complete rubbish Pal,

I'm in my 40's and shorter games are the only reason I'm still playing...

Is anyone really that cheap or desperate that they'll starve if the other team dosen't give them a sarnie

Wise up Brendan - you really talk some c**p on this forum

Brendan

Glengormley

19th Aug 2011

Ivan, Wylie and Robert.
No teas is just another stage in the demise of the Saturday game. Shorter matches, early finishes and quick departures will also dilute the cricket experience and eventually the matches will be like a football game. If that's what the clubs voted for then who are we to argue, but good clubs will set their own standards to maintain the things that make the match more than just a Saturday afternoon romp.

ivan mccombe

Muckamore

17th Aug 2011

Ok Wylie, I maybe misunderstood Robert's post but the "no teas" decision was taken after listening to opinions at the NCU Junior Task Force roadshows and being sympathetic to clubs that play at council grounds or school grounds with limited facilities for teas. Personally speaking I like to have a cup of tea and a sandwich at half time but that didn't seem to be the majority view.

Wylie McKinty

Home

17th Aug 2011

Ivan

I think Robert was playing in the league match, for a Junior team and a tea was not provided for his team (as is now allowed for in 30 over games).
I think his gripe might be that his club provided a tea for the same team (twice I believe) earlier in the season.
To me the mid-innings tea break is part of cricket and I personally would like it restored for matches that it is now discretionary for.