Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Jeff Maguire

big raymond looking for next 3 days of SUN

24th Jul 2012

free entry for UMPIRES only in case as usual my english gets lost in the reading .lol roll on some sunshine for what is going be a cracking game friday . right ill stir the pot my prediction is North Down win and motm Ryan Haire in what will be a very close game , ANY PREDICTIONS ?

Simon McDowell

Ballymena CC

24th Jul 2012

Ballymena Cricket Club will host a Golf Day at Galgorm Castle Golf Club on Friday 3rd August.
The cost will be £30 per person and tee times are available from 2:00pm – 4:30pm.

To book a four ball please contact Simon McDowell on 0798454733 or simon.mcdowell@mformation.com
Thanks

Jeff Maguire

england didnt get the best south africans !!

24th Jul 2012

Think with all the constant sniping about UMPIRES on and off the cricket grounds be good PR from the NCU offer FREE entry to the challenge cup final on friday as without them the game of cricket we all love would be a dissasterous day

andy kennedya

bucketing in Buckna

24th Jul 2012

great tea at Lisburn on Sunday - thanks to the ladies who prepared it - definitely up there with the best teas in NCU! Some others leave a lot to be desired!!

Jason Maxwell

Banford Green

24th Jul 2012

"masonic the hedgehog" you care to elaborate on the "so called experts" are??? i could go into a massive rant here but it would achieve absolutely nothing apart from possibly make me feel better for a few minutes

C.Boomer

Home and still loving cricket !

22nd Jul 2012

Some bizarre events for sure this weekend !

Much needed local cricket broke out all over the place throughout the country !

Some amazing results in the many games that were played, with plenty of close finishes and some big shocks on the winners and losers from the respective league & cup competitions !

Fantastic entertainment for all involved, players, supporters, officials and all cricket enthusiasts alike !

No annoying bold typed 'OFF' word beside every fixture on the NCU front web-page.... been a long time since we've seen that !

And most bizarrely of all, reported sightings flying around of glimpses of a huge unidentified yellow ball sitting high up beyond the clouds !

Wonder if that had anything to do with any of the above ?... Who knows ?

On a much more somber note, very shocked and saddened to hear of the sudden passing last Friday of Moira man and Victoria C.C. supporter John McClelland.

A real character, loved a laugh, a bit a craic and to tell a yarn or two to anyone who'd listen while he stood in the pavillion down at Lurgan Park on a Saturday afternoon, he'll be sorely missed by all the lads there I'm sure.

And I'd like to offer my sincere condolences to his son Adam and wife Maureen on their very sad bereavement .

Do you know what ?

It just occurred to me, it was John who stopped for a few seconds on Friday on his way up to a much higher calling and blew away all those rotten old rain clouds that have been depressing us all this summer and made sure everybody got some cricket action over the weekend !

Then he would have had another quick wee chuckle to himself before heading on to a much more grander place.

'He was like that was big John' ! RIP

Wayne Horwood

Respecting your opposition

22nd Jul 2012

Just came back from holidays a day early looking forward to a game of cricket on an international wicket at Stormont. Forecast goood for a change. Packing up gear and getting ready to go and get a text to say opposition cant get a team.

Really wish some people would have the courtesy to let you know. If your team can't be arsed playing at least let the opposition know early so they can make plans/not rearrange plans, not make teas etc etc.

It is easy to communicate in this day and age.

MaSonic the Hedgehog

Utopia

22nd Jul 2012

Jonny - I wouldn't worry too much about Press criticism as I suppose the sales of papers is the ultimate aim. However, the sniping about umpires on so-called "social networks" is somewhat different. These self appointed experts ought to check the Laws and by-laws before making comment.

Paul McCrum

Dallas

21st Jul 2012

Rest in Peace Davy Willis - a true gentleman.

jonathan lyttle

NIACUS

18th Jul 2012

The Officers and Members of NIACUS would like to extend their most sincere sympathy to the family of David Willis who sadly passed away. David was someone who was one of the pillars of Laurelvale Cricket Club and was such a easy going and pleasant man. I know from personal experience that he was a true gentleman and had a great sense of humour. I know that many of our older members will remember David and I know that he will be missed by all at Laurelvale and beyond. I hope that his family will be comforted by the thoughts and prayers of our members.

Simon Hughes

Laurelvale

17th Jul 2012

It is with great sadness that I announce the death of Davy Willis. He served Laurelvale CC as player, treasurer and gentleman for over 50 years. The club's players and supporters would like to extend their deepest sympathies to the family circle. RIP Big Davy

Jonny kennedy

Rossdale

17th Jul 2012

As someone who has given some serious thought about attending the umpire course in the winter I'm a little concerned about wether I should bother or not. This is not the first time I have aired this view but I would be more worried about being slated in the local press (by nameless club members) as I would standing in games. As I've also said before maybe it's no surprise the numbers are dwindling and applications for these courses are easily obtained.

wayne horwood

portballintrae

16th Jul 2012

“THE umpires ruined the best game of cricket I’ve ever seen”.

Just read this quote on the under channel. Having lost a share in a league title on a similar ruling I fully empathise with what carrick went through in what sounds like an awesome game.

That said, all umpires do their utmost to adhere to the rules of cricket and give local players a fair game. Rules are rules, decisions are made, some wrong, some right but that is part of the joy of cricket. You win some you lose some at local cricket. Without umps cricket would be a poor game and there is nothing like a beer after a game and asking an umps his view of a game. Loved chatting to Neiller and Ronnie on Saturday and more should engage umpires and perhaps we would get more peopleout umpiring.

Wayne

Response

Good post Wayne, I also heard yesterday (unofficially I must stress) that the full times were 3hrs 15 mins for the Carrick innings and 3 hrs 37 for the Ballymena innings, I don't think it needs any further debate!

C.Boomer

Home

11th Jul 2012

I'm not that old Neil but 1985 comes to mind (just about). Very wet summer and although I hadn't taken up cricket back then it must have been a very frustrating season for anyone involved in the local game !

I remember the farmer's combine-harvesters getting clogged up in the wheat & barley fields around August/harvest time, that's how bad it was!
Everywhere was shockingly wet and it looks like we're experiencing something similar this season although unfortunately it started even earlier this time round, so surely it can't last one would imagine, so to all cricketers 'hang in there' !

Have to say though and I'd be the last person to be smug, but during the closed season on this very forum I did for-warn of this impending inclement disaster and the perils/difficulties of trying to play cricket at any level if we're constantly having to battle against the elements.

But nobody listened !

(To busy with football I guess)!!!

Neil Hunter

Dry Belfast

10th Jul 2012

The joys of being a Groundsman!! Maybe some of the older readers can remember a worse summer but I cant.

I think NI Water could build a reservoir at Pollock Park at the moment. Talking to Geoff and Roger yesterday we shared our grief of trying to get a wicket dry and a ground playable which certainly is a big challenge at the moment.

The water tables are so high and the downpours so often that its near impossible.

The problem that I think all clubs must be having at present is the football season is round the corner, the youngsters havent played for a month and they are losing interest (never mind the adults)

The big problem will be if we get washed over the 12th including this weekend, then I think fixtures will be penciled in for October !!!

All we groundsman can do is hope the sun shines and to all players who are wondering what to do, its simple, help your groundsman, they wont turn you away

P.S whilst writing, its dry here in Belfast but my mother has just phoned and informed its rained pretty hard in Lurgan since 4.30pm to 6 ish....what a country !!